1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***** HOW TO INSTALL MOBILE PHONE TOOLS*****

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by Gem20, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

Read this below, which i posted a few weeks ago (Quoted from another of my posts but added to). You should also get the right links you will need for the correct files.

[bold]NOTE: Make sure you have a archive/extracting program i.e. WinRAR. (There are links in my signature to download a archiving/extracting prog.)

This method is the one i used to install a V220 on Windows XP Home with SP2. It should work on most other Motorola models although some will not be compatible.
    Check your phone's compatiblity with the other link in my signature.[/bold]

1) [bold]Ensure there are no other previously installed versions of MPT on you computer[/bold] Ensure you delete them from the 'Control Panel' in the Start Menu, not just by using the DEL key! This will NOT get erase the whole program and will leave bits behind which an cause problems.
    Then, go into 'Add/Remove Programs' and scroll down to MobilePhone Tools and click on remove. Also make sure that you [bold]DON"T plug the phone in with the USB cable until you have installed the programme fully[/bold].

2) Open a folder up on your desktop and name it MobilePhone Tools.
    Then, after you have downloaded your .zip files and unzipped them, extract them to a seperate folder and name it the same as the original .zip file - it can do this automatically.
    Then direct it to save it in the desktop folder.

This just makes it easier to locate files and drivers when you need them.
    You can move the folder to another location when you have finished using the files.

3) Next, go to [bold]http://bongowireless.com/file_download.php[/bold]
    and depending on which operating system you have, download either
    [bold]P2K Drivers for XP/ME/2000[/bold] (Number 53)
    or
    [bold]P2K Drivers for Windows 98[/bold] (Number 18)

Then go to [bold] http://www.free.cz/motorola/ [/bold]
    and download these drivers:
    -[bold]Motorola_USB_Modem_D..> 29-Jun-2004 18:22 [/bold]
    -[bold]P2K_driver_2.3.zip 29-Jun-2004 18:19 [/bold]
    -[bold]Motorola_USB_-Modem_..> 30-Jan-2004 16:33 1.2M [/bold]

You must unzip these files but there will not be anything to install.

4) Go to [bold]http://www.free.cz/motorola/[/bold]
    Click on [bold]mmpt_1.23c_EN.zip 09-Jul-2004 22:38 18M[/bold].
    Download the file to the etracting program, and unzip the file.
    Then extract the files to a folder and direct it to save the extracted files folder in the MPT folder you created on the desktop earlier.
    Then browse to the folder using Windows Explorer.
    Click on the Installation/Setup Application icon.
    [​IMG]

5) When it is almost installed, an error message may, or may not, pop up saying something about 'getbooks'.

[​IMG]
    If it does,[bold]DO NOT click OK, just CTRL+ALT+DEL[/bold] and end the task.
    This will prevent it from uninstalling. If you do not get an error message, it is good, so don't panic.
    I am not sure why some people get the error message while others don't.

[bold]In the last dialouge box of the installation wizard, there should be an option to launch the application straight away - uncheck it.
    You do not need the software to start. If the check box is not there, then just cancel the program at the first chance.[/bold]

6) Go back to your desktop. There should be an icon that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Do [bold]not[/bold] click on it.

7) Go back to [bold]http://www.free.cz/motorola/[/bold] and download
    [bold] mobilePhoneTools_2.2..> 17-May-2004 21:05 21M[/bold].
    The icon of the file you download will be an InstallShield - it looks like this
    [​IMG]
    and maybe called
    [bold]mobilePhoneTools_2.16_US - update[/bold].
    Extract it - it may not look as though it needs unzipping, but unzip it anyway and use the set-up icon from within the file. It will be called a 'InstallShield (R) Setup Launcher' and look the same as the setup icon from the 1st version install. This is the icon to use to install v2.21b.

[bold]N.B If you have a V220: [/bold]
    When you are setting up your phone with the software, make sure you tell it that the phone is a [bold]V600[/bold], not a V220, as this phone is not listed in this version, probably because the software was released before the phone.
    You can change it to the right model number in the later versions after you have done a [bold]'Live Update!'[/bold].

8) The 2.21b update will automatically overwrite v1.23 and the icon on the desktop should now look like this:
    [​IMG]

9) You can get other update files from various links but I found it much easier to perform a 'Live UpDate' and let it find and download all the files for you.
    It should take you right up to the latest version available.
    I only installed up to v2.21 then used the Live Update option and it installed right up to v3.11, and all the ones in between.

10) Next,[bold]Restart your computer[/bold], when it has rebooted, plug the phone into the computer.
    A 'Found New Hardware' Wizard should start.
    You can either let it try and detect the drivers for itself or you can browse it to them yourself.
    Just follow the instructions in the dialouge boxes and use the setup options to personalise your settings and synchronisation to your preferences.

11) Once this has finished click on the icon for MobilePhone Tools.
    A phone will appear on your screen:
    [​IMG]
    The icons on the right of it are your links to(from top-to-bottom) [bold]the web, text messages, Multimedia, phone/address book, calendar, synchronising and information.[/bold]
    The main menu button will be in the same place as where it is on your actual phone.

12) It is wise to [bold]back-up all your data from your mobile on to your PC before you do any synchronizing.[/bold] The option to do this is in the main menu under organiser, Mobile Phone and Back-up/Restore. You can choose where on your hard-drive to save your backed up phone data.

13) The Live Update option in the main menu, under the 'Setup' submenu. It may take a couple of minutes if you update from 2.21.

N.B - [bold]If the phone and computer will not initialise,[/bold] go to the 'Main Menu', then 'Setup' then 'New Phone' - while it still says 'initialising' on the phone-screen. Then follow the instructions.
    When you get to the part where it says it will now setup your phone, unplug the USB cable from the computer, not the phone - you should hear a sound from the speakers.
    Leave it out for a few seconds then plug it back in, you should hear a slightly different sound.
    It should now start to setup and install your phone. You should be able to see the progress bar on the screen. Follow the rest of the instructions, and it should initialise at the end. But for this to work the drivers must be detected by the computer, you should be able to point it to them.
    Hope this helps a few of you.

Let us know how you get on, and get back to me with any probs. And feel free to PM me.
    Good Luck!
    Gem

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  2. oskari121

oskari121 Member

You just saved my day , or two... I've fumbled with all kinds of variations of different software setups, but this one truly works.
    Thanks. Now my cell rocks out loud!!!

3. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

Glad to help.
    It took me so long to work it out and i'm quite good with things like that, so i can imagine how hard it would be for a novice. So i thought it just might save a few people a few days of stress, confusement and a bit of hair by writing it all down!

If anyone finds a easier way then please let me know.

4. lannigan

lannigan Regular member

Ok guys, just wanted to let you all know i found a place to download motorola phone tools v3.20. It took me about 2 hours and a language pack install but i found it, so enjoy, you may have to drop your firewall to download this.... enjoy.... :)

http://www.ttdown.com/

use the edit, than find on this page thing in internet explorer for motorola and youll find it....

5. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

All i did was get in installed to v2.21 and then did a live update and it installed up to v3.25 for me. And this way is also less stressful!

6. b2kfn75

b2kfn75 Member

This really help me alot, But I've got a question. When I open mobilephonetools after restarting my computer a device configuration wizard pops up. Its asks me for the device I wish to use and I select "Motorola USB Modem" then press next. Then it tries to detect my driver automatically, but that doesn't work, so it asks me to detect it manually. It gives me a list of phones, but my motorola v188 is not on the list. What shoudl I do?

7. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

Lady T

Try this:
    1) Open 'mobile phone tools'

2)When the device configeration wizard pops up, click on 'Next'
    Then instead of clicking on 'Motorola USB Modem', click on 'Other Device' - with the yellow question mark next to it, then 'Next',
    This is where you can match the com port you are using to your device. If you still do not recognise your device, click on 'Check COM Ports'. It will check all of the ports on the computer and detect if and what there is in it and give you slightly more information about the device.

3)Highlight your device and then click on 'Next'. Follow the instructions and only tick the box if you want to driver from a list yourself.

4)Wait for a few seconds until it says your device has been detected.
    Click on 'Next'.

5)It will then tell you that the device configeration is complete.
    Then click on 'Finish'.

Hope this works.

8. b2kfn75

b2kfn75 Member

Either way i do it, other device or Motorola USB modem, when its asks me "Do you wish to detect the driver manually or automatically" And when I click yes, it loads or does whatever it is that it does and then says "Your device has been detected by could not be identified. Click on next to choose your device from the list" and it proceeds to give me a list of phones that aren't mine.

9. RealExxon

RealExxon Guest

WILL THE FIRST IDEA WORK FOR THE V300 AND WIN 2K?!?!??!

10. Invasian

Invasian Member

I got everything to work, but how do I redirect the installer (or whatever I need to redirect) to the P2K app. because it detected and installed by itself. The RAZR V3 installs and sets up then it says initializing...., but up above it it says no modem.

11. dammitman

dammitman Member

yo bk,i got the same phone and my shits being just as gay,but my luck i stumble upon this website that has the whole description and features to mobile phone tools and if you look in the bottom it says does not work with v188.dammit man.is there any other software that i or we could use besides mobile phone tools since theyre being gay and dont use v188

Motorola USB Mobile Phone Tool Version 3.0. Includes USB cable and software 98653H Features
    USB Mobile Phone Tool 3.0. Includes USB cable and software.
    V60 Series, V120e, V120x, V70, C330 Series (TDAM/CDMA), T700 Series, V300, V302, V400, V500, V600
    V551, E310, V710, V810, V265, V300, V330, V710, A630
    1 Year warranty
    Does not work with Motorola V3 Razr, V180, V188, V220 phones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

Does this only include the 3.0 version because i have a v220 and have worked up from v1.23 to v2.21 to v3.25 and everything works fine, and by the sounds of it a lot of other people have got theirs working fine too. So whats going on there?!

13. pbmpbm

pbmpbm Guest

Hey thanks a lot Gem I managed to connect my phone to the PC and it works the only thing is i dont know how to add a ringtone or picture from PC to Mobile?
    Can you help me please

Thanks for your time

From Richard Horn

14. epicurus

epicurus Member

Hi,

i have the some problem as b2kfn75...everyrhing proper done, but at the end program cannot detect my v220 mobile that also is not on the list...what to do?

and also if, after explanation i succeed, whicj option to use for tyransfer photos from mobile to PC?
    Thanks

15. bet1040

bet1040 Member

I've gotten to the detect driver page and clicked next without checking the "do not auto detect" box. The next page (device detection) appears and it says " your device has been detected but could not be identified. click on next to identify." After clicking next the manufactuer comes up (motorola gsm) and a device model list. the only V's that come up are v60 and v66 and i have a v220. what else can i do?

Never mind this post. I've decided to trash the V220 and get the V555. Hope it's a better phone ;]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  16. ab03

ab03 Member

I am having trouble getting Mobile Phone Tools to work, even though I my phone seems to have been installed correctly driver wise. Mobile Phone Tools hangs on the screen trying to recognize my phone and then the cell phone pops up. When i click on the phone book, it says it can't connect to my phone. any ideas?

I guess I should add that I am using a Motorola V3

One other thing I should add is that my driver has a date of 2/32004 and a driver version of 2.0.0.3

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  17. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

For those of you who can't get your MPT to recognise your phone. Try this:

Go to 'setup - new phone'
    Then select usb cable
    Give it time to detect ur phone
    It will eventually ask u which modem u want to use
    Select 'motorola usb modem'
    Wait until your computer detects the phone
    It will then say, your phone has been detected but can't be recognized
    Then take the option to find it manually
    Scroll down until you find v600
    Then it says ok
    It should recognize ur phone as a v600, and work like clockwork!

Hope this helps

18. Gem20

Gem20 Regular member

Richard,

To transfer pics and ringtones from your phone to your computer and visa versa
    Go to your 'Multimedia Studio' - the thing with the bell!
    On the right is your phone's memory and on the left is the computer's memory.
    Along the top of both sides, you will see tabs, which are pretty self-explainatory.
    The phone only has three different parts to the memory - picture, audio and video. You can go into the folders either clicking the tabs or just double-clicking on the folder itself.
    NOTE: Although you can see pretty much every file, folder and application under My Computer, it doesn't mean that you can transfer anything you like over! A lot of things will not be compatible.
    Bring up the folder with the file to be transferred in, on the appropriate side and the folder it will going into on the recieving side. Then highlight both and click on one of the icons in the middle, the arrows point to the side it is going to, but it should confirm what it is doing with dialouge boxes.

Hope this helps

19. merikgvr4

merikgvr4 Member

I am trying to set up mpt, have the files updated but when I tried a few days ago, it looked for the phone drivers and I messed up loading the drivers. Now the usb for the cable is not recognized and I think that is messing up my install. Has anyone encountered this problem before? When it looks for the phone drivers should I point it to the P2k drivers? TIA for any help.

20. lsvas

lsvas Member

Hey Gem...thanks..

But however i have a problem. i downloaded the mobile phone tools .got the updated and mapped the p2k driver to the motorola phone.. by the way..i have a motorola v220. once i add the p2k driver, it rocognises the phone as a motorola modem and not a phone.

when iconnect to the mobile phone tools...and the fone, i am able to back up my phone book. but besides this, i cant do anything...i mean downloading snpas from my fone to pc..or pc to fone...or downloading tunes from pc to fone..nothing happens...once i try to do this..i get a message the device is not connected..what can i do about this.

need ur help buddy.

vasu