1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to install windows with no cd drive

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by timeblade, Aug 3, 2007.

1. timeblade

timeblade Member

I got a laptop from a thrift store. It had a corrupt windows 98 on it. I formatted the hard drive and now I want to install windows on it. Problem is that the cd drive does not work. It only has usb ports and a dial up jack. I can get a usb floppy drive to work, but not a usb cd drive. I have DOS on floppy. Also, flashdrives do not work.

I have:
    Windows 98 SE
    Win 2000 Pro
    Win XP Pro
    USB Floppy Drive with DOS
    USB Male to Male Cable
    USB Ethernet Adapter

Is there a way I can install 98, 2000, or xp by floppy, usb direct connect, or usb ethernet? I have another computer that could install by network if that is possible.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the matter with the rom drive? what is the specs of the laptop to see what windows can be installed on it including hd capacity. can get a boot disk for usb rom drives from this link.
    http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

3. timeblade

timeblade Member

It has a dvd rom drive. It still gets power, but the laptop does not recognize it. I took it out and looked at it. The pins seem fine and nothing looks damaged. Mayby It doesn't have the right driver.

It is a Fujitsu Lifebook I series laptop. It has 2 expansion slots, 2 usb slots, a dvd rom drive, and a dialup slot.

About 500mhz
    64mb ram
    6gb hdd

I think it should be able to run windows 2000. I have a desktop of similer stats that can run 2000 with no problem.

I tried to install dos from a floppy. It installed fine, but the computer restarted and never booted. I formatted the hdd so it has nothing on it now.

How would I use the usb boot disk to boot to a usb cd drive with windows? Is it possible to install windows not from boot? Mayby boot to the usb drivers and install windows from there?

4. drphilly

drphilly Guest

I don't think that you can put an XP upgrade on a floppy because it is too large. Maybe look to luinx?

5. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

try (if possible) to install selected OS on a compatible HD (of the laptop in question) on another laptop then just swap the HD into your laptop

6. timeblade

timeblade Member

I found another way that I will try. Hook up the hdd by usb. Copy the i386 folder from windows 2000 pro cd. Boot to dos and install windows from the hdd.

I will post if it works.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

see if can get more ram because with 64meg, it will be slow.