1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to keep original dvd menu screen in home copy

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by robertme1234, Nov 28, 2015.

1. robertme1234

robertme1234 Newbie

Hi. I bought some DVDs for my kids. I watched them and discovered some inappropriate content I'm not going to allow them to see. I'm pretty good at editing, but I want to preserve the original DVD menu too so they won't know they've been edited. The DVD set is a gift you see, so I don't want it getting spoiled for them feeling that their present has been "messed with" or " Not new".
    Does any know How I'd go about doing this. Either by editing and putting the media back on the original DVD or putting it on new DVDs. Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

dvdfab 8 or clonedvd by slysoft might be a bit easier as you can see at a glance in the preview window whats what then untick the junk or offending material incl unwanted languages.Keeping menu intact is as simple as tick "keep menu" ...lol..Now the two i've mentioned are 1 month trial only.However fully functional free versions are available you know where.

Remember both fab & clone can output to iso either compressed or uncompressed which means you can store on pc & stream to wherever

4. Mez

Mez Active member

The original DVD is a read only disk. It was made so it can't be altered and will last much longer than a 'burned disk'. There is no way you can fool them into thinking a burned disk is the original disk. Neither DVDfab or DVDshrink allow editing of any video file. You can include or not, a particular video but not even remove a gigabyte file from a video. That would require editing of the master files.

If you are up for it I would shrink the video for less painful editing then buy a real video editor $$ and edit the video. All the video editors I have used (cheap) require the complete video to be loaded into memory. If you don't have 4.5 g of free RAM your editing will be painfully slow if it is shrunk. If it isn't it will be more painful than I could imagine. Even with 4.5 it may takes hours of scrolling through the video to find the offensive frames. Normally you will over shoot since the delay may be 10s of minutes between what you see and where you are in the frame.
    My real suggestion is just return the DVDs with content you don't want and buy new ones without R or PG ratings. I think you will be way over your head. The cheapest video editor that will remove frames I was able to find was over $100. Good ones are over $1,000.

I have never been so foolish as to try to edit a full featured film. All my editing was for short videos way less than a g. I can tell you that was a terrible ordeal. I can't imagine how painful a huge file would be. I had to super over clock my CPU (red line I was 5 C over the heat limit for the CPU) and bought a WD black disk to be able to edit that small file. I think you actually keep 2 copies of the video in RAM the original and the version you edit. The videos were needed for my daughter for application into colleges and other programs. She was a performer and a video was required before a face to face interview. I would never have gone though that much work just for entertainment.