1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to know which dvd drive is in an xbox before buying it

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by davenukem, Oct 5, 2004.

1. davenukem

davenukem Guest

I bought my xbox when it first came out and it sadly had a Thompson dvd drive. After the first six months it started giving me problems such as the dirty disk errors and your xbox needs service error. I opened up my xbox and took it apart and put it back together. It stopped giving me the messages for a few months but then started up again. I repeated the process and it kept working until about a week ago. I decided to purchase a new xbox but before that I wanted to ask some of the xbox geniuses if they knew anyway to determine which dvd drive is in the xbox before I purchase it. I am shooting for a samsung because it is supposedly the best. Please help me!!! :)

2. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

There isnt a way that that you can tell what drive is in the xbox without opening the box.

You could always buy a samsung drive off of ebay for about £60.

Most of the newer xbox's come with samsung or philips drives.

3. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah you are right matty8887 the only way to know is by looking inside the Xbox.The samsung drive is pretty good,but depends on which one you get.One of my friends has the samsung drive and it will only pick up Dvd-R media though.If you can only pick up Dvd-R media,this possibility of getting Dual Layered disc to work is impossible.You might want to see if you can get the Samsung 616T drive,that will play all the formats.If you get a drive below that I don't think it is possible to get all the formats to work right.

4. davenukem

davenukem Guest

Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure if there was any way I could get the best of the best. You have really helped.