1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to label my dvd's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by maxaraxa, Feb 11, 2005.

1. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

First of all I want to thank you for this wonderful site, I burned my first DVD last night and it was amazing. I did figure out though that I need a new DVD player, bought a Sony DVP-NS325 and also for my puter a Lite on 167T...so that I can watch them, my laptop has a nice LG dvdrom that loaded the DVD+R perfectly.

My question and it is probably a lame one is, can I use a sharpee to write on my dvd what movie it is?
    Please advise,
    Thanks, Maxaraxa

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello Maxaraxa, We got the same dvd rom, and sony stand alone player,sweet!.

Sharpies are no problem and usually preferred-marking top side only,lol.

Those paper,stick-on labels are not recommended if you decide to take that route,later on down the road.

Highly recommended is the thermal printer,aka epson r-200,r-300, and the r-320. This is what I got my eye one right now.Of course you'll have to use thermal printable media.

Any more questions,come on back. Dvd burning is a whole new world. It isn't like cd burning,much more complicated.

3. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

the r200 epson printer is great i bought one about a month ago and love it. you can get printable ritek dvds on ebay for a good price.

4. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

DONT LABEL YOUR DVD'S

I learned this the hard way, they work fine at first then after a few months they cause playback problems, like skipping, DVD stopping suddenly because the player is having a hard time with it. I had to remove about 20 labels from DVD's recently and it is HELL. I stopped labeling them a long time ago but left the labels on the first backups I made hoping they would not be a problem but at around the same time they all started to cause problems. I now just use a sharpie, its good enough for me.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That may have been miss typed? At least I hope so, but the Epson R-200 & R-300 are NOT thermal printers. They are both Inkjet printers and they do a great job!! I wouldnt stick the labels on the disk at all, but if you get the white inkjet printable media prefferable the Taiyo Yudens you will get very good quality prints with the Epson R-200 (around $80). I have printed over 400 back up's with my R-200 and everyone works perfect and looks good too..

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

[bold]bbmayo[/bold]

Any idea yet as to how many DVD's you could print per cartridge(s), or a cost per DVD? I too have been looking into this. Yes I use a Sharpie, but with age one just might forget what that movie was about by just reading the title. Would not be fun if my Mother-In-Law chose the wrong DVD to view one night. LOL

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well lets see.. I never figured it out, but what the hell now is as good a time as any...

I ushually get around 75 DVD's before I change cartridge's so...
    Complete cartridge change (6 cartridges) 16.95$ from here http://private.abacus24-7.com/

So... 16.95 / 75 = .226 so it cost about .23c per DVD I guess I can live with that. Of course if you print other stuff with your printer this will effect how many DVD's you will print..

ScbaBud that would be very fun if your mother-inlaw got a hold of those Disney movies you didn't want her to see ;-) LOL

I will go one step further Blank DVD .46c from here http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media-300.html

So .46 + .23 = .69c for a very high quality and good lookin DVD :) I like that number .69 hehehehehe .. Opps I thunk that out loud... LOL

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

My bad on the thermal printer, I was looking at all 3 models at staples last weekend and no salemen were around as usual.
    Ink cartridges were around 11 bucks apiece,not bad.

Hey bbmayo,how do regular photos look off that r200 printer?

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Awesome!!! It has 6 different Ink cartridges and in my experiance the more different color cartridges the better the quality... My daughter recieved her prom pictures and I scanned and printed a couple of them and no one could tell wich one was the original.. It prints very good indeed!!

11 bucks a piece that would be 11 x 6 = 66 Bucks!! that is bad I get all six for under 17 bucks at link provided above..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

[bold]bbmayo[/bold] One more thing if I may...

Are you scanning the original disk and then printing out the jpg on the burned media or are you downloading a picture from a website if that's possible?

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I do it a couple of ways

1. Scan Original use Adobe PhotoShop to touch up
    2. Go to Movie Website and make custom label
    3. When I'm lazy which is most of the time :) I just go to one of these sites where someone already did all the work for ya
    http://daprogger.mine.nu/
    http://www.cdcovers.cc/

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You squeezed your last post in while i was farting around, I listed your private abacus link onto my favorites,Pretty cheap price. The 11 bucks were on the staple's prices.I'm still researching which printer to go with. The r200 was $100.I have seen them for $80 when on sale. Later

13. Gossimerg

Gossimerg Guest

I bought the R200 after having too many paper labeled DVDs go belly up.
    I bought 50 of each of these and since I have been printing direct to the disc I have had no bad burns.

http://www.americal.com/pd/PRWP702986.html
    http://www.americal.com/pd/PRSP702298.html

considering before I had tried 3 different brands using paper labels and was having a 10% failure rate

As far as ink consumption I have printedabout 30 discs with 100% full color coverage and my inkwells are showing just above 50% in all collors and at 50% in black. The results are phenominal and figuring I was using ink to print paper and the cost of the paper labels I am ahead in cost just by ditching the paper and even better off considering the number of problems I feel were attributed to the paper labels.

The Epson inkwells do have a chip on them, I was told you can use generics but I haven't tried yet. I have been buying all my ink for other printers from http://www.printcountry.com/ the generics are under $5 per cartridge and they give price breaks for quantity and free shipping for minimum orders. They also guarantee the quality of the ink. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like and add but I figured people might want to know about a good company.

So do a little shopping I got my R200 for 80 bucks (US) after taxes and rebates. It was worth double that eventhough I am using it strictly for labeling CD/DVD's

One side note: the printer has a funny quirk, it has a special loading tray for handling the discs that you front load into a special door you flip down. If you reboot the PC you are using to print to make sure you close the door or when you load the disc it will eject the tray rather then drawing it in. Simply remedied by cancelling the print job and rebooting the computer with the door in the closed position.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

$101 @ Staples is pretty good the cheapest I have seen online lately is $92. Of course that usualy won't include shipping so that price is pretty good. Them are the only printers I have seen go up in price? Probably because they are in high demand seeing how they are the only CD/DVD printers around...

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That is odd I never had that quirk??

The only thing most people for get to do is to leave enough room behind the printer for that tray to go all the way in. You might want to check out that link I provided for Ink Cartridges they are cheap and work very good in the R200 it equalls out to $2.83 per cartridge...

16. Gossimerg

Gossimerg Guest

Maybe my printer is odd. if I leave the door open when turning on the PC, after loading the tray and clicking print, it moves the tray out a bit and instead of drawing it back in (as it does during normal operation), it ejects the tray too far. It's a small quirk I can live with, the quality is great and the price is right. I figure other people may not notice this, because I never run paper through mine the door is often left open often after shut down and I don't catch it until too late.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I understood what you were saying I was just letting you know mine dosent have this quirk as mine is left down probably 98% of the time also. I could live with that though because out of all the high end crap I have that printer was the best thing I have bought.. I am very happy with this printer :)

18. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Also YES THE R200 IS GREAT JUST GOT MINE. but you are suppossed to burn your movie then print at least accroding to the manual anyways I had some old DVDs that needed labels and put some paper labels on them till my TYs get here and they have been working just fine. There is nothing wrong with putting paper labels on DVDs as long as you have a good set top DVD player that wont overheat very easy, but I to prefer INKJET media because the quality is better and it puts less wear and tear on your DVDs but not much. Anyways if you have some old DVDs laying around it is ok to put paper labels on them but if it can be avoided you should aim for the inkjet media.

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I myself have a lot of Paper labeled DVD's , but I would never reccommend to anyone to do this because there are just way to many posts on here about people having problems with them. Mine seem to work fine and I have never had a problem with them but the fact still remains that hundreds of people have. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the ones they print directly onto though. Yes you print on the DVD after you have burned it. Why would you do it the other way? That would be a waste if you got a coaster.

20. Gossimerg

Gossimerg Guest

Yeah I usually rip the DVD then test it before labeling, Why waste the ink.

Oh, here is the one thing I don't like about my R200 or any of the Epson disc printers, there is no slot/tray or clip on the printer to store the CD tray(s) when not in use. Small potatoes but seems like an oversite.