1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to limit bandwidth in a home network?????

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by solosheep, Mar 3, 2007.

1. solosheep

solosheep Member

Hello

I have recently downloaded

Bandwidth Controller Standard 1.13

Hoping that this will enable me from my computer to limit the download speed and bandwidth use of my son's computer (he is hogging all the bandwidth with torrent) But I'm not sure how it works and if I can do want I want to do!

I need some help! Does this porgram do what I'm asking and how do I go about limiting his bandwidth the help section in the program is not very helpfull!

I hope you guys can help!

Richard

2. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

It's possible to edit the downstream capability within the client. Simply change the settings of whatever he's using to d/l.

Speed-control otherwise must be done @ the level of the router (either standalone or using a computer w/ 2 network cards as the router), and those routers are very expensive. There IS a custom homebrew firmware for Linksys routers, you can read more about it here:
    http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

3. solosheep

solosheep Member

thanks for that I dont have access to his machine (he puts passwords on etc) but I do have access to the router so is there a way I can do it with the router I have? Or software?

4. solosheep

solosheep Member

also I have a di-624

5. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Going to sound like a dick here, but oh well. I will say that I've worked with kids K-12th grade for a long time.

There's NO REASON that you should be blocked from his computer. You're the dad, be the dad. You say NO, the answer is NO. He wants to argue, eliminate online privileges, and/or make him put the computer in the family room w/ all passwords removed. Seriously, allowing anyone under 18 completely private unmonitored access to the internet is begging, BEGGING for trouble.

Alternatively, you can access the router and just turn off his port forwarding and/or disable UPnP if he's using that instead of forwarding. His speeds will drop to nothing. If you do this, be sure to change the router password or he'll just reenable it. Of course, he probably knows that all he has to do to reset the password is hard-reset the router by pushing the little reset button.

Long story short, no, there is no software you can run on your computer to limit his connection, simply because your computer isn't the one deciding how the traffic is administered, the router is.

6. ofolion

ofolion Regular member

If your router as QOS then you can assign yourself more bandwidth than your son...
    although why not just ask him to keep downloads till when he is the only one on the network or when everyone is sleeping or at work...

7. solosheep

solosheep Member

I can see all your points guys....and its true I should do as you say but I don't want to take away his internet totaly as he has exams etc comming up......I have the DI-624

http://www.dlink.com.sg/products/?pid=6

above is the link to it. It says it does have qos but not sure how to access it.

8. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

in the address bar of your internet client, go to: 192.168.0.1.
    username "admin" minus the quotes, password blank.

Find the QoS tab. You'll need to know his IP address, which should be found under a "settings" tab somewhere in there.

That's not a whole lot of help, but I don't use D-link. It should be in the manual though, it's available on their website if you don't have it anymore.

9. solosheep

solosheep Member

I can only find the quick setup maual on the net!? Also looked on the router can't find QOS hope maybe the manual might point it out!?

10. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Eh, I told you a fib. I got cornfused---QoS is the service you run from the actual computer, not the router. Here's the link:
    http://203.126.164.140/FAQ/view.asp?prod_id=1090&question=qos

There's likely something in the router about scheduling or access limitation, but honestly I don't know fella, I don't have a D-link.