1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to load backups into HDLoader.elf

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by MadBoomah, Apr 24, 2005.

1. MadBoomah

MadBoomah Regular member

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I believe I have found a way to load backup games into the HDLoader.elf without having to use WinHiip or any other utility to transfer the images externally. I've only tested this method with CD games, as the HD I'm using is a 6GB one that has little space for me to try using a DVD backup instead, but I tested the recognition in HDLoader and had no problem with HDLoader recognizing the disc as a valid ripable PS2 DVD game (only gave me the not enough space error).

It's actually quite simple. It just sprouted to mind as I was trying to load a Spider-Man CD backup onto my HD. The things you'll need are:

-PS2Menu using the Memory Card Exploit with a PSX game.
    -A method to swap discs (flip-top or slide tool)
    -HDLoader.elf (I've used the latest version known as of this date)
    -A PS2 compatible Hard Drive that's recognizable by HDLoader.elf
    -An original PS2 CD/DVD game disc (the TOC doesn't seem to affect HDLoader's ripping)
    -A backup PS2 CD/DVD game disc.

I won't go in-depth with the memory card exploit as there's many tutorials covering that. But I used the AR Max/Exploit Sender method to transfer the exploit to the PS2 memory card.

For this to work, you need HDLoader.elf to be either backed up to the HD for PS2Menu to load it, or in your memory card.

After you have this covered we can begin.

Steps:

1- Load up PS2Menu using the memory card exploit.

2- After PS2Menu is loaded, press eject, and insert your original PS2 game (CD if you want to load a CD backup, DVD if you want to load a DVD backup).

3- Switch within PS2Menu to cdfs using R1 to make sure the disc is spinning. I've never been able to see a DVD's contents within PS2Menu, though don't worry oif you don't see it. I'm not sure if it's an issue with PS2Menu or something of the sort, but only CD contents is browesable.

4- CRUCIAL STEP! Switch back to either your memory card or your HD (to where you have HDLoader.elf placed). This will stop the disc from spinning for you to be able to swap the backup in.

5- CRUCIAL STEP! Wait 5-30 seconds for the disc to stop spinning (this is a precaution rather than a step). Swap your backup disc either using the slide tool or the flip-top method within PS2Menu.

6- Load up HDLoader.elf and it should recognize your disc as a valid PS2 game disc to rip to your Hard Drive.

NOTE: You will have to start over from step 1 if you intend to load up another backup. This does not work with DVD9 games as HDLoader only recognizes the first layer of the disc(just in case anyone asks).

I've tested this with 5 CD games, and all 5 have worked and were ripped flawlessly using the ARMax disc as the original PS2 CD disc which is 86.4MB big in size. All backups were over 400MB in size and still HDLoader recognized their fullsize and ripped them correctly, so I don't think the TOC matters for HDLoader to rip the backups using this method.

For DVD's recognized for ripping, all the ones I tested were recognized without a hitch with their fullsize. These include:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (4.19GB)
    Final Fantasy X (4.19GB)
    Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening (3.59GB)
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (4.24GB)

And a couple more I cannot remember right now. These are backups I made myself from originals and were not downloaded, so they are 1:1 copies. The original disc I used for swaping was SOCOM II: US Navy Seals which is 4.07GB big in size. All the games listed above are bigger in TOC than SOCOM II is with the exception of Devil May Cry 3.

Feel free to comment on this method. Feedback on ripped DVD backups using this method would be greatly appreciatted.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you switch to your memory card or your HD within PS2Menu before swapping! If you do not do this, the disc will still be spinning if you try to swap and you could potentially scratch the disc to unuseable state! I am not held responsible for any damages you may cause to your PS2 or your games using this method. Use this at your own risk.

If anything, make sure you don't hear the disc still spinning even after you switch to your HD or memory card in PS2Menu.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

thats a lot more work than you need. you can just load hd loader, then eject and put in your toc disc, hit install, and the disc stops. then swap for your backup.

3. MadBoomah

MadBoomah Regular member

It's not really that much work. You're just basically swapping to the backup disc before loading up HDLoader.elf with PS2Menu. I never tried swapping discs within HDLoader as I wasn't sure about the disc still spinning or not (I use the slide tool for swapping, so I relly on hearing to know if the disc has stopped and my 6GB Seaget is quite load so it's a bit hard).

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yeah, i guess its better to be safe.

5. ali4real

ali4real Guest

Do I need to do the swap method if i take my exploit and hard drive to a friend who has modchip?

Also,what if im using different launcher like Keylauncher do I still go to PS2Menu??

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2005
  6. MadBoomah

MadBoomah Regular member

I've only tested this method with PS2Menu. I'm not too sure about being able to do it with KeyLauncher. If you are to use this method, then you would need to load PS2Menu with whatever launcher you're using to get this method to work.

If your friend has a modchip already installed, he doesn't need to swap since the chip takes care of circunventing the protection to load the backups as original. So swapping with a chip is unnecessary.

So, if you're planning on taking your HD and the exploit to your friend's chipped PS2, you wouldn't need to do this thing at all. Just load up HDLoader.elf and you can insert the backups. HDLoader would recognize the discs as original.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  7. ali4real

ali4real Guest

iight
    thanks yo

and plus
    how long does the installation of my mc exploit take?

8. MadBoomah

MadBoomah Regular member

It depends on what method you use. I used the ARMax/Exploit sender method which didn't take more than 20 minutes to get going (it should be less than 10 after you know what you're doing). I believe it is a lot easier to do if you have access to a chipped PS2. You would only need to load the Independence Installer disc and it should do it for you, but I don't know much detail about that method since I haven't used it.