1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make a DVD that can only be viewed ones !!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bartder, Dec 20, 2004.

1. bartder

bartder Guest

I'm planning on making a DVD (home made) that can only be viewed ones (in Mission Impossible style)!!! I have a few years of experience in creating and copying DVD's, but I have never made such a DVD.

Can anyone help me with this ?

Thanks!!!

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

WTF? Are you with the CIA, KGB or MI6? :eek:P Burned DVDs are read-only so how would a DVD player which can't even burn to it be able to alter it? I know they are coming out with disposable DVDs which have a dye that decomposes quickly after it is exposed to air and renders it unreadable, but if it's readable, even once, it should be copyable. ;)

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I removed my post 'cos I am a dumb ass!!
    I confess!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  4. colw

colw Active member

Put a crappy label on it.

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can actually do this!!! Here are the steps

1) Back up the DVD as you normally would
    2) Play the DVD in your player
    3) Eject the DVD from your player
    4) Now you can do several methods here
    a) put a label on it as suggested earlier, but on the side with the data
    b) Take a screw driver and dig into that f*&^#r
    c) Give it to a 2 - 5 year old to play with for a couple of hours
    d) break the damn thin in half
    e) spill some acid on it Drano works too :)
    f) there are litterally thousands of ways you could do this so use your imagination and go wild :)

Happy X-Mas All !!!

7. bartder

bartder Guest

Djeeses guys, the DVD doesn't have to be destroyed or anything ... after it's viewed ones, the DVD has to be locked or something!

It's for a bachelorparty. The guy who's getting married can see his assignments ones, after that he's on his own!

WTF ??? I know that if you can read it, you can copy it and I'm not KGB or MI6 ...

8. bartder

bartder Guest

I was planning on doing it with a little VB program that asks for a code (password) ... after the code has been entered, it's locked. The video plays, but if you try to play it again, the code doesn't work anymore !!!

If anybody knows a program or way to do this, please let me know !!!

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you're talking about playing it on a standalone there's no way it's possible. In order to do it you'd have to find a DVD command that would write to the disc and since DVD-Video wasn't intended for rewritable medium there aren't any commands like that.

If you're running it from a PC that's an entirely different matter, but it would probably require some sort of DRM to be added to the video and an appropriate license to be installed on the computer for the video to play. This can be done on some formats (but not DVD video or any other MPEG video to the best of my knowledge) but the other issue is that any sort of software that will add DRM protection is going to be commercial and probably fairly expensive.

10. smokeatr5

smokeatr5 Member

...I figured it out! He's actually with the MPAA, or is it the RIAA?... I don't know...well anyhow, he's with the big movie associations that are trying to come up with new ideas for ONCE only (as opposed to 'ones' only) playable DVDs! He's disguised himself by using the code in his messages 'ones', that's to throw people off his true motives!
    ...He's really I highly paid movie exec that is recruiting the experts here for his evil plans! It'll never work Bartder!!!
    You're busted!! ;)

11. bartder

bartder Guest

Shit, you got me ! ;-)

I wanted to play it on a standalone DVD player, damn, I hoped it would be possible. I think I can write something to make it work on a PC ...

Thanks for the info !!!

Greetz,
    Overpaid movie exec

12. vurbal

No problem. Now why don't you send some of that money you're being overpaid my way? ;)

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

As above!

14. vurbal

So, for example, you're saying this is being helpful?
    How did you expect people to take it? Ever heard of attracting more flies with honey than vinegar?

Now what was your reaction to those questions? Did you consider them helpful or just nasty comments in disguise? I realize that he wasn't responding to your comments specifically, but if you're going to make comments like that you shouldn't complain about other people's attitudes.

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Point taken Vurbal, I consider myself suitably chastised. I NEVER intended give a veiled nasty response.
    I would like to apologise to all those I may have offended or upset :(
    I am really, really sorry.

16. vurbal

No big deal. Sarcasm doesn't transmit well across the internet and if you haven't made a post that came across wrong you haven't been here very long ;)

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I concur. It's just that I thought I had made a valid point, my mistake.

18. bartder

bartder Guest

You're forgiven ... but don't do it again, just this "ones" ;-)

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Jolly d!

20. andmerr

andmerr Guest

what you suggest bartder was not available awhile ago but now thats a different story.Unsure how they perfected it thought it was still in the testing stage,and i guess it will be still in that stage for a while longer.I'm talking about fade technology.

heres an article for all

andmerr

CODEMASTERS CONTINUES TO FIGHT A COLD WAR AGAINST GAME PIRACY IN PREPARATION FOR THE RELEASE OF OPERATION FLASHPOINT IN EARLY SEPTEMBER

June 07, 2001: Codemasters' effective anti-piracy initiatives receive an additional push with the introduction of FADE(tm) a unique PC-based piracy protection system that can degrade gameplay if a counterfeit copy of the game is identified as being played.

Created for the early September launch of the mighty military simulator Operation Flashpoint, one of the most anticipated PC games of the year, Codemasters has equipped Operation Flashpoint with embedded coding that can recognise the difference between counterfeit and real copies of the game's CD.

If a pirate CD is identified, the game automatically disables key gaming features and instigates a number of subtle changes that adversely effect gameplay.

Anyone attempting to play an illegal copy of Operation Flashpoint will begin with a game that looks and plays just like the real thing. However, over a period of time, the game gradually self-modifies and degrades elements of play to a point where the game is no longer playable.

This system of anti-piracy not only puts off the pirates from duplicating the game CD but is also preventative in putting off people who would purchase a pirate copy from doing so. Indeed, no matter what a pirate may say, anyone considering getting an illegal version will not be convinced they'll get the fully-playable game.

The use of FADE(tm) will be displayed during game installation, saying "Original discs don't FADE(tm), in order that players who experience problems will be aware that their CD is potentially an illegal copy.

The FADE(tm) system used in Operation Flashpoint is created using a combination of Codemasters' own technology and commercial products. The game will additionally be protected with secondary copy protection technology and use FADE(tm) as an additional tactic against counterfeiting. The concept of FADE(tm) is adapted from a similar system employed by Codemasters' PlayStation game LMA Manager 2001, which reduced the amount of pirated CDs in circulation and enhanced sales performance.

Comments John Hemingway, Codemasters' Development Director: "We continue to act against the trade of counterfeiting software with new and innovative systems. In addition to protection that attempts to prevent illegal duplication, we are building Operation Flashpoint to include FADE(tm) as a second level deterrent and I am confident we shall see this effort reflected in the additional sales performance of the game."

Codemasters launches the hotly-tipped Operation Flashpoint on PC CD-ROM in early September in North America.