1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make an action replay for $15 or less

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by cakes227, Apr 27, 2007.

1. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

Ok if you need to softmod your xbox but you don't want to buy an action replay you can make one like this. Sorry for the paint pictures I might get some real ones later.

Supplies:
    Xbox breakaway cable-$5 ebay
    USB exxtender-$5 ebay
    Xbox memory card-$5 ebay
    Xbox controler

Tools:
    Solder iron
    Wire cutters/strippers
    heat shrink/electrical tape

Programs:
    usbview- http://www.usbman.com/WebDrivers/USBview/
    Xbcd- http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html
    Action replay- http://us.codejunkies.com/support_product.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&g=1&prodID=5

Ok first off we gotta make an adapter to connect the controller to your pc. So cut the breakaway cable and strip off the insolation and most of the shielding so it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Now do the same for the usb extender(it will not have a yellow wire). Then put the female usb side and male breakaway cable side away. now you need to cut off the yellow wire from the breakaway cable and solder the same color wires togeter from the usb and breakaway cable and get some extra wire from the inside of your extra usb wire and solder if from the shielding of the breakaway cable to the shielding of the usb cable so it will look like this:

[​IMG]

Now tape everyting up and make sure no wires are touching.

Ok now you have a way to connect your controlor to your pc and if you want to use your breakaway cable for your xbox you can make a symilar adapter except with the male side of the breakaway cable and the female side of the usb and you can connect the two to use it for your xbox.

Now we have to make the computer compatible with your pc so download xbcd from the top and install it then plug your xbox controler to your pc with the adapter and use the found new hardware wizard and install the driver, if another fond new hardware wizard pops up just close it. Then make sure it works by going to the setup utility and see if the buttons turn light blue when you press them like this:

[​IMG]

Now install action replay and usbview and insert your memory card into your controller. Open usbview and a word processor and find something in the left column that says DeviceConected located under something that says DeviceConnected: XBCD Xbox Gamepad then click on it and go to the right colomn and find two things one says idvendor and the other says idproduct then copy and paste in word processor the last four didgets on the nembers to the side and remember which is which. See the picture below for more info:

[​IMG]

Now go to my computer, then c:/program files/datel/action replay xbox then open xbreader setup information not system file and go down to devices and on the first line change VID_05FD to make the last for numbers say what your idvendor said and change PID_DBAE to make the last four numbers say that your idproduct said and then press save. then copy the saved xbreader and paste it in the drivers folder and replace the existing one. See the picture below:

[​IMG]

Now go to device manager and find usb device under other devices and right click and update driver then select instal from a list or specific location and click browse and go to c:/program files/datel/action replay xbox/drivers and click ok then next then finish when it is done installing. Then open action replay and you can drag and drop gamesaves in .rar format as shown in the pic.

[​IMG]
    Please enjoy this tutorial and feel free to post any questions for me and others to answer

2. steimy

steimy Active member

nice tutorial, but for the price of all the supplies you listed someone could have just bought it.

3. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

you can get the parts for a little cheaper than the ar especially if you already have some, its also fun to make.

4. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

Better yet, hook BOTH sides of the USB extender cord to the Xbox Controller plug and you can use a flash drive to store game saves (such as the softmod software) AND use your Xbox controller in your PC (though not at the same time).

5. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

yea i used that method but it made my flashdrive incompatable with my pc and i couldnt reformat it and it eventually stoped working with my xbox so now i use this.

6. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

Interesting, I've used three different flash drives and they all worked and reformatted both ways. One was a Lexar 128MB, one was a CompUSA 128MB, one was a SimpleTech 512MB (promotional give-away). I have used two different homebrew Xbox controller/USB cables and a factory made Xbox to USB receptacle cable (two for $12 shipped on ebay)

7. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

yea i used a 256 lexar and i read on a compatability list later that it can mess up