1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to make psp headphones louder (tutorial)

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by deadcell#, Oct 14, 2005.

1. deadcell#

deadcell# Guest

Right, as soon as i got my psp i put a few mp3's on it and after they were done i plugged in the sexy white headphones and to my suprise *drum roll* ...the headphones were a bit s**t. Heres a tutorial on how to make them un-s**t, get a pair of plyers or something to hold the grey bit of the head phone steady, then turn it untill it pops off, the inside should look like this ... http://www.imagesharing.com/files/psp headphonetoum.JPG
    De-solder the copper wire (Point A)and resolder it to point B, then jsut to make sure pop the resistor with a pair of plyers or something (the first time i tried it on the left headphone it didnt make any difference untill i popped the resistor) and put them back together agian to have about twice as much sound output (if not more)

© james farnsworth

if the image is being gay then go on http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&fr...
    ^_^
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. andersg

andersg Regular member

jeez,
    How would you ever find out something like that ? lol
  4. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

sounds good but a big warning the resister was placed in the head phones to keep the head phones from blowing out so by removing the resister the headphones are know taking a full 10 ohms and they are only designed for a 2 ohm circuit
  5. andersg

andersg Regular member

So that means thats They can explode on your head ?
  6. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

I got a better idea! Junk $0NY's Freakin Ear-Frindly (BullSh*te!!) Earbuds, and use either $0NY's EX71/81's or just use the Apple iPod In-Ears Phones like me! Works every time!

I think he means that the Pack-In's that came with the PSP are in a Word Sh*te), as if you were to remove this Resistor. You'd be running the risk of overloading these Earbuds. Upshot beeing that anoying Rattle you hear with each Base Tone.

If I understood that corrrectly then why even give us Earbuds in the first place?! I mean what feaking use is $0NY's freaking 'Ear Frindly' Freaking Earbuds to me when I CAN NOT HEAR 'EM while in the Tube?!?!

If the $0NY Earbuds can not handle the full power of the PSP's Audio Out (i.e. Earphone Jack!), then $0NY has a bigger problem then I thought!!!
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  7. deadcell#

deadcell# Guest

sooooo anyone actually find this useful?
    i was thinkinfg of them being used like this instead of buying replacement head phones ^_^ (i havnt noticed any 'beeing' yet and i have being listening to them constantly now since i did this ^_^)
    and has anyone actualy tried it?
  8. decman

decman Guest

what do u meen by pop the resistor? do u meen crush it?
  9. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

I think it would be simpler to just use a Solder/gun/iron, and a Desoldering Braid to remove the SMD from the Headphones...
  10. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

Having a case of the f*ck'its and I don't cares I tryed prying the S0NY Pack-in Earbuds. A BIG MISTAKE! I thought that they would have used some kind of Glue to fuse those bits together. Which was not the case there just held in plyce be Friction Pins. So the Pliers trck (or just gently biteing on the Grey bits while twisting is all ya need to do! To open the little bliters!

Ok wipping out the trusty 'ol 35W (a bit on the lage side), I had no problems getting the SMD Resistors off when useing a Desoldering Braid! I just retined the one nude Wire and then tacked it back to where the SMD was and....

I DON'T BELEAVE IT! These 'Eear Frindly' B*sterds are actully a magnitude louder then my Apple In-Ears! Shame there just not as comfortable though! =(

I'd have never beleaved it I thought that these Stock Buds were (and are), worthless, see above! It's times like this, that I really want to thank God for the French and there Dumb Arsed Nany-State Laws!! That they feel the moral right to have to press this Crap on the rest of the EU!!! >=(
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  11. devilson

devilson Member

But without a resistor the headphones will just burn out !! you shoudl at least replace the resistor with a higher Ohm intake.
  12. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

Whatever I did it, it worked, and the Earbuds were actually for the first time useable. Just one question if this damn Resistor is so important why doesn't the NA Version have it? As far as I know (according to someone I know who has a US PSP), there was no -90dB 'Ear Frindly' Tag bundeld with there Buds'.

In anycase the Earbuds managed to survive the first Hour on my UNCAPED EU Third Gen., iPod just fine with out those Resistors. Could they take that kind of abuse for Months at a time, by serveral Hours a Day? I don't know. The PSP by contrast with those uncaped Buds' is indeed louder, but, nowhere even close to to matching my iPod. I don't have much fear in distroying those Buds' while useing it with the PSP.

But, again I would chuck these Buds' in a Second for the EX-71/81's or a pair of Apple In-Ears. If I were in that Ballpark I'd even go with the Sures' or the Etymotics' But, alas $300.00(USD) for Earbuds is just plain retarded! If ya asked me...
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  13. tarang

tarang Member

can u put a new pic, of the hedphones plz,sry, im a total n00b, and can u explain this a little better, thanks
  14. rahulneel

rahulneel Regular member

tarang bhanot ?
  15. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

Yes please put up a new pic.

The psp earphones are a bag of sh*t you even walk down the street with them and a car drives past and you cant hear a thing!
    I was very disapointed by them especially as my old sony walkman earphones used to go so loud you didn't even need them in your ear to listen to the music :)

And about this resistor... I figure if i replace it with one that is half as much resistance or less then it should still be ok, or even easier just dont play the psp on full volume.

Anyway I am about to try this now as I think I can manage without a pic and as somebody above said these earphones are so worthless I really don't care if I break them!

*edit*
    I have no pic to go off but I am guessing the resistor is that tiny tiny little bit between the 2 blobs of solder? And I connect the copper wire to the oposite end of it?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  16. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

Ok I done it!
    Thanks for that I was about to buy some new earphones next week!
  17. Paul2004

Paul2004 Regular member

was it hard 2 do??
  18. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

No not atall!
    Ill draw up a quick diagram and post it in 10 min.
  19. Paul2004

Paul2004 Regular member

thanx alot m8t :D!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. RavenLife

RavenLife Regular member

just buy some new head phones - or use your ipod ones(if you have a ipod)

you can pick up some half decent sony ones for a fiver
  21. Paul2004

Paul2004 Regular member

yep ravenlife i remember i have already taken that gr8t advice by u and used ipod headphones but i still wonna try this