1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to: on fake files and such on ps2 games

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by redlevel, Mar 15, 2005.

1. redlevel

redlevel Guest

i have been reading you guys for a while before i got my magic and it seems to be ok.....but i have started finding stuff about replacing fake files on some of the games. can someon who is knowledgeable in this shoot me a line. i need to find out more about this...

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Check out the thread we started here in this section on games needing special burning proceedures.
    It will give you a few of them
    Yes, some games have dummy files or garbage files that need to be removed before you burn them such as Mercenaries, Bloodrayne2, Shadow Of Rome.
    Usually someone like DVDRick makes a patch for the game that will take care of the problem. If not you will have to study up a bit on how to rebuild an ISO.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

Also, when you bought your Swap Magic i hope you also got a slide card or flip top because you will also need one of those to play your backups.

4. redlevel

redlevel Guest

yea i got the slide. it works great. i have backed up 2 of my games so far, but i would like to get bloodrayne and i hear it is harder to backup

5. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, it can be a pain for the first time. I will do a search and try to find the instructions.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

use DVD Decryptor to make an ISO Image (iso read).

Then create a new folder for the files you'll be making.

Next Use ISOBUSTER to extract the files (Do not extract the garbage files). Make sure you note the original order of the files as you will need this later. If you just delete the garbage files it wont work because the game looks for these files in order to load, so what you want to do is replace the garbage files.

Using windows notepad open a new file, hit space bar once and saved it as the garbage file (use exactly the same name as the file you are replacing). So you should end up making 5 garbage files(garbage 1,2,3,4 & 7 - I think). Make sure you save these files in the new folder you created.

Now narrow the window so that all you see is 1 line of files going vertically. Make sure these files are in the same order as they were when you first used ISOBUSTER. Now open your CDVD Gen program and click and drag all the files (in order) to the left portion of dvd gen. Create your star files and use MS DOS to create an Iso Image combining all of these files.

Finally use DVD Decryptor to burn the ISO onto your media and HOLY CRAP!!! IT WORKS!!!

I know it sounds crazy but this method also works to cut those dual layer discs down to fit a single 4.7 GB disc so it may come in handy again.

For More details on the ISOBUSTER and CDVD GEN method check this out: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/127255

Get ISO BUSTER HERE:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/110498

7. redlevel

redlevel Guest

man you are the sh-t.....thanks. the only thing that i see to be a problem is the ms dos work, but i will walk through it and see where i get stuck....chat later

8. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

When doing this do you have to alter LBAs?

9. steimy

steimy Active member

What is LBA's?
    Try the method and see how it works. I got this from another post, i don't remember ever using the MS Dos part myself. I think after i used ISO Buster to extract the files to a folder i just deleted the garbage files and used CDVDGEN to make a new ISO. But since it has been a while since i did it, it's hard to remember.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  10. redlevel

redlevel Guest

steimy

i will give it a shot. got to go buy a large game to try it out. chat later....

11. steimy

steimy Active member

buy a large game? i must have missed something. Most games you can just burn, about 98% of them. There are only a few that need these extra steps