1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Overclock your fan

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by KillerBug, Mar 30, 2010.

1. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

THIS THREAD IS OUTDATED; HERE IS THE NEW ONE:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-153/ps3_fan_fix_v4_2-873420/
    ================================================

[edit]
    there is a newer version of the fan overclock here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-153/new_fan_fix-865649/
    [/edit]

I just forced my fan to run at full speed all the time...now my PS3 won't even get warm. It is a PWM fan, so it always gets power and ground...you just need to send a 3.3v power to it's pwm wire, and it will run full speed. The side of the PWM wire that goes to the mainboard is just cut off (and later taped up). Note: you cannot run the power and ground from the fan direct to the power supply; the PS3 will detect a fan failure if you do this.

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Warning: The pics here are from a 40GB model, the 3.3V and PWM pins might be different for different models, or even for some 40GB models. I would not do this without a digital multimeter (you can find the PWM wire by doing the "fan test"...it is the wire that is 3.3v during this test).

Warning2: This makes the system loud. Thankfully, the PS3 is a wireless system, and I have a USB extension cord and a hub...so I just moved the system further away. I figure it is worth a few extra steps to change disks if it prevents a YLOD (YLOD is usually caused be repeated heat/cool cycles...and this prevents it from heating up).
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

You should fixed and maybe fixed. Otherwise great info and will go into my memory "just in case".
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  4. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

There are two sets of three wires each we are concerned with:

The first is the set of 3 wires that go from the fan to the mainboard. One is a ground, another is a 12V power, and the third is the PWM control. The speed of the fan is controlled by this PWM wire...voltages range from about .2v to 3.3v, with 3.3v being full speed. On my system, the PWM wire was the grey wire. I cut this wire near the plug, and connected it to nothing (I did make sure it won't short on anything). The other end of the cut wire (the end that goes to the fan) will connect to the second set of 3 wires.

The second set of 3 wires come from the power supply. They were all white, but the 3.3V wire was the one closest to the bluray drive. I spliced a wire into this 3.3V supply wire. I then ran this wire (blue wire in the top pic) to the loose fan wire from the first set.

That's it...very easy.
  5. SHADOWZ9

SHADOWZ9 Member

Interesting info, but it doesn't seem too easy to do kind of confusing especially since i believe there are at least 2 or 3 different version/models of fat PS3's power supplies ( ill study the info better make sense of it, dont want to put a wire where it doesnt go and have something short or something or damage the mobo or power supply), your right the problem is the heat/cool cycles that probably cause the YLOD and if this can keep the ps3 from warming up after 2-3 hours of play it may be worth doing as prevention.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  6. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

It just figures...a day after I did all this to make my PS3 last forever, Sony came along and forced me to stop playing it until geohot releases his CFW.

I know it might look complicated, but it is just cutting a wire and splicing in another wire...you don't even need very good soldering skills to do it. I would still recommend that anyone doing this would use a digital multimeter to double-check that they are connecting the 3.3V wire...as it is right next to a 5V wire that will probably kill the fan. Also make sure you are working with the PWM wire...as cutting the power or ground wires to the fan will make the PS3 think that it has a fan failure.
  7. GeToChKn

GeToChKn Member

Thanks for the info, this is what I was looking for to help a few systems that are overheating too much on the customers. I'm working on adding a few resistors in the mix though to lower the speed a tad. Full blast is too loud. So far, around 40-50k in resistors lowers it to maybe 75% or so.
  8. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

There are a couple other options...

You could install a potentiometer...this will let them control the speed to whatever noise they can stand.

Another option would be to install a 2 position switch...one side is full speed, the other is the default speed that it would run without the mod.

[edit]
    Someone here notified me that there are some con-artists on youtube selling fan speed controllers for the PS3. These devices do not use the PWM control wire that the fan is designed to run from, and may cause damage to the fan. They also cause problems with the fan stopping suddenly when running at lower speeds. If you want to control your fan speed with a dial, all you need is the dial itself; it will work better while using less space and costing less money...and there are about a million different potentiometers that you can use to fit your style preferences.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  9. Decoto

Decoto Member

Well, after some testing I can verify this method does work! I now have a non-overheating unit with a fan speed adjuster using a (PM)/potentiometer.

I did this on a FAT 60gb model. The setup is alittle bit different but more or less the same. I was able to crank a couple different speeds from the PM, and now its running at about 50% of fan speed.. enough to be pushing the fan more then usually but not to noisy. The 100% fan blast can be to noisy for some.

Here's how I did it: Basically you just have to splice in a new wires with the PM attached in between. Just like how killerbug explained. But if your doing it on the older 60gb model like mine you will have 5 white wires in the front instead of 3 but the fan wires are the same although they are located underneath the motherboard instead of behind the PSU so you will have to take the system apart more just to get to them.

For the 5 power supply wires all you do CAREFULLY skin the first one on the far left exposing the metal wiring so you can splice in the new wire. From left to right facing you it is 3V,Ground,ground,5V,5V... You want the 3V. I soldered one end of a small new wire to this cut open power wire then (if you have a PM) solder the other end of the small wire to the middle ring terminal on the PM. (My PM had 3 ring terminals left,middle & right. I then soldered another new small wire to the right ring terminal on the PM, the other end of this one will go underneath to the gray fan wire.

For the fan wires it is the same as listed above their is only 3 wires and you want to CUT the gray wire. Skin alittle bit off the end of the gray fan wire going to the fan exposing the metal so you can solder the small wire end from right ring terminal to it. If your wires are long enough you can put the PM nicely underneath the motherboard next to the harddrive in the corner, after you have tuned to the right speed you want.

And that's it! once you got this your all set, put some of the system together and test it first. When the system is on you should be able to tune the fan speed abit to your liking. Make sure to tape the PM down after so it wont be flying around inside. If you want to do just like Killerbug then skip the PM part and just use 1(one) medium wire spliced in from the left power wire all the way to the gray fan wire.

This is just for people mainly that want to control their fan and get their ps3 running so that it wont overheat after Ylod. My fan never kicked into high speed even though
    it got extremely hot, so problem solved. Good Luck to those atemping this.
  10. GeToChKn

GeToChKn Member

a 30k resistor between the 3.3v line and the fan slows it down about 25% so its not super loud but still runs with way more cooling.
  11. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

Yeah, but if you are going to bother with adding controls in, you might as well just use a potentiometer...maybe even drill a small hole in the case so you can adjust the fan without opening the system.
  12. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  13. ushhh

ushhh Member

just wondering what type of potentiometer you used log or linear how many ohms thanks
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  14. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

Almost any pot will work...linear or log. I would just get one that ranges from 0 ohms to infinite. You could also use a rheostat, as we don't need the third terminal on the pot anyway.
  15. Decoto

Decoto Member

My bad, I would of posted pic's n what not from the start but I can't at the moment. Although I can help with what PM I used. I used a Alpha B1000k 1Meg LINEAR Potentiometer Tone. I bought it on ebay, it has 3 rings...and I only used a one thousand K pot just cause I heard it works best. Although maybe you can use a smaller PM maybe 800k I dont know. Try what you can... as the one I tried is very sensitive at the dial but can be used with super light touch.

The PM can work well just experiment with what you have... GoodLuck
  16. ushhh

ushhh Member

i ended up using a 50k LINEAR Potentiometer seem to work ok
  17. vicpro

vicpro Guest

Dear Killerbug,

I have a 80GB Fat PS3 and I tried your Mod (cutting the gray wire from the fan and splicing the first of the five with wires from the power supply and added a 50K linear Potentiometer) but I can not lower the Fan speed, it keeps running in high.

Where can I get the Power Supply Pinout for my 80GB PS3.

Any suggestions/Tips???

All the Best

Victor Lopez from Panama
  18. vicpro

vicpro Guest

Dear Killerbug,

I have a 80GB Fat PS3 and I tried your Mod (cutting the gray wire from the fan and splicing the first of the five with wires from the power supply and added a 50K linear Potentiometer) but I can not lower the Fan speed, it keeps running in high.

Where can I get the Power Supply Pinout for my 80GB PS3.

Any suggestions/Tips???

All the Best

Victor Lopez from Panama
  19. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

I am not sure where to get the pinouts (maybe youtube?); I just used a multimeter to find the 3.3v wire. I think your problem is the POT itself; Decoto used a 1Meg pot...that is about 20x more resistance than the pot you are using. I have not added a pot to mine yet, but I would probably go with a 1Meg (or possibly larger) pot if I did.
  20. vicpro

vicpro Guest

Thanks Killerbug for your fast response.
    I forgot to mention that I have also modified a 40GB PS3 with a 5 pin Power supply using the same Potentiometer (50K) with excellent results.
    So my next question is "Does Sony have different Power Supply pinout specs for the 5 pins PS3 or ISs the 80GB Fan different (Not PWM) than the 40GB one?"
    I am going to try with a 1MEG Pot and I will let you all know the outcome.

Bests and thanks again.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
  21. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

I can't say if the power supply pinouts are different, as I only have my 40GB...but I am reasonably sure that the power supply model numbers are different. It is entirely possible that they changed the fan or the power supply, but I would not be able to confirm this, or to give you the correct wiring plan for a 80GB without being able to get some readings from a multimeter...I would start with the power supply, and confirming that the wire being used is a 3.3v and not the 5v. Next I would connect to the mainboard side of the gray fan wire, and do a fan test...make sure it makes 3.3v, if it does not, please post what it does make...it might be some lower voltage that requires more resistance before the POT.