1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Place Themes onto 3.71M33 without (Semi-)Bricking Your PSP.

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by kikzm33z, Oct 8, 2007.

1. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

OK, get this to everyone's brain:

DON'T MESS WITH FLASH0 FOR 3.71M33!!!

You'd be like "OMG, but i want cool themes"

Well, you can.

All you need to do is go to the root of your MS.Click on to the PSP folder.Now, make a folder called THEME(yes, in caps)and just place your themes there.

People will be thanking you if you tell them not to mess with flash0, because of the amount of noobs out there messing with flash with 3.71M33.Other CFW are ok to "mess" about but not the best idea as there are chances of semi-bricking, but they're recoverable.

Where to download them? Click here.

Thanks to psp[dot]420 for sharing it with us.
    Thanks to sicdude for sharing the link with us.

Tell me if i've done the tut wrong.

Thanks much for reading ^_^'

*UPDATE*

You can flash if you want, but if you're unsure then don't touch those flash files!and as sicdude said(post below)find a 3.71M33 compatible theme.If you place a 3.52M33 theme then BRICK!copying your flash0 back will not work as it has happened to many people.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The correct way to backup 3.71 M33/M33-2/M33-3 files is by enabling flash0 via Recovery Menu (Don't flash your XMB via VSH menu or you will semi-brick).

When the flash0 window comes up on the PC go to Tools> Folder Options> View Tab>...

Tick the radial that says (show hidden files and folders)

Untick the box that says (Hide Protected Operating System files).
    Click on Apply then OK.

Now drag the flash0 files over to PC to back them up (Make sure the steps above are also done when recovering your flash0 files).

Credit for backing up 3.71M33 goes to Larry.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT

When messing with 3.71M33 flash0, it will cause flash1 corruption.If you want to prevent that from happening, then back up your nand using either Pandora's Battery or the Universal Unbricker V3(Pandora is highly recommended)and when you have a flash1 corruption brick, then just restore nand for a safe re-flash.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another important thing ;P

If you flash your flash0 by accident then you're bricked. The most common way of creating the flash1 corruption brick is probably messing with the font folder or replacing the flash. To back up 3.71M33 flash0 properly, look higher in this post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **WARNING**// 16/11/07 - 17:54
    If you wish to use another nand dump to fix your flash1 brick then tr it. Using someone else's nand dump will have 90% chance of fully bricking your PSP. Use your own nand dump or you'll muck it up. If you've bricked by the flash1 corruption and can't fix it, then my advice is to use another nand dump if you have it.

14/11/07 - 19:11

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    I guess this guide can be dumped into the other dead threads because all PSP 3.71M33 users has now got it all in their head :) My job here is done :p
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  2. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

actually it is safe to flash themes into your 3.71m33-2 as long as it is compatible you can find some here http://www.consolespot.net/index.php?network=xmb
    as with any other custom firmware you just need to make sure you put everything into the right folders

3. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

yes, but i just want to make this clear to some people.not everyone can flash correctly and surprise surprise, they get a brick.this is practically for noobs.people with more knowledge about the psp could forget about this thread.like you, you can unsubscribe and have no problems :D

4. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

thanks for the link, the spray paint one looks really nice

5. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

there is nothing difficult about it lol,they all come with a readme,if they don't read it maybe they deserve a semi brick lol

6. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

lol.... i hate the adsssssssss

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  7. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

do you need 1.50 kernal to do that 3.71m33 flashing?

8. sicdude

sicdude Regular member

i couldn't tell ya i put the 1.50 kernel on before trying it :)

9. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

not sure, but if you are on 3.71m33 then why not just add the kernel anyways?but i think it should work.

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@kikzm33z

Here is some more info you might wanna place into your Guide. Shows how to backup your flash0 files on 3.71 M33/M33-2 properly.

The correct way to backup 3.71 M33/M33-2 files is by enabling flash0 via Recovery Menu (Don't flash your XMB via VSH menu or you will semi-brick).

When the flash0 window comes up on the PC go to Tools> Folder Options> View Tab>...

Tick the radial that says (show hidden files and folders)

Untick the box that says (Hide Protected Operating System files).
    Click on Apply then OK.

Now drag the flash0 files over to PC to back them up (Make sure the steps above are also done when recovering your flash0 files).

11. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

i never knew backing up 3.71m33 would need to do all that.

12. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

so if i want to flash my flash0,i have to do wht larrylje said n when i flash the originals back i wont have brick?like tht??

bout the flash1 corruption,wht does it do??if the flash1 is corrupt??n wht if i juz format the flash1??without backing up the nand??

13. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

You might no be able to access recovery mode if you encounter the flash1 corruption brick.Just remember to back up your nand(Pandora's Battery is highly recommended for backing up nand) then you're fine.Try flashing flash0 with Larry's help, but I haven't tried it so I don't want to hold responsibility of your bricks.But I have a feeling that you'll do it good.

14. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

one more thing,after i flashing with my flash0,it is a surely corrupt for flash1 r8??so wht do i have to do if i want to clear the corruption??

and tis backing up of nand thing is a drag n drop of the folders r8??

15. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

Here's how to back up nand.

Get Pandora's Battery or Universal Unbricker DC-3.I recommend you using Pandora for backing up nand.

Now enter your magic MS and PB into your PSP and wait...Now back up your nand.

Wait and then you're done.

Messing with flash0 might not just cause flash1 corruption, but it will brick you.

16. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

how would it brick mine??

17. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

Maybe it's because 3.71 has a change of flash...So...I don't know.If I were you, I'd back up nand then mess with your flash.Safest possible way.

18. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

i did planning on backing up the nand.so i need to make a pandora r8 by doing the step by step guide??

19. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

You don't have a PB?

20. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

nope coz i dont have extra battery.anyway it can be done with only one r8??n a 2gig mem stick is also compatible isnt it??