1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to play DATA DVD's?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by afgunzzz, Mar 25, 2007.

1. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

ok so i got a data dvd packed with films now i tried using SMS player but tit keeps coming up with "illegal disk"? wtf? and also when i put in a normal DVD+R properly burn, i go to play the vob file and it doesnt play? wtf?

Also can i put a film on my USB and then watch via SMS or somn?

2. blueshade

blueshade Member

Part 1: For older version fat PS2s, you need to burn either DVD-Rs or burn DVD+Rs with booktype set as DVD-ROM. Else, PS2 will refuse to read the disc.

Part 2: Absolutely, though I don't remember if you need to download the USB Mass Storage driver separately. Search on Google for "USBD.IRX" if you need it.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

my suggestion is to not use your PS2 for playing movies. It will put extra wear and tear on your laser. PLus it is not the best at playing them. Now if your burned it correctly it should play the VOB files without the need for a media player as a stock PS2 can play those.

Get a decent DVD player that has DivX support and you will be better off. This is a fairly reasonable player http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Phil...72059/catOid/-12873/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    only problem is that i think it doesn't have true surround sound capability.
    but i would really step up to one that can upconvert if you have a good TV. It will make your DivX movies look much better.

4. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

i no it can read proplery burnt games. an di have a good dvd player ;) the dvd player cant read the DATA.DVD with all my films i burnt :( so there isnt any way i can watch those on the ps2?

and how do i play the videos that are on my usb stick? thanks.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

to be honest i never tried data DVD's on my PS2. But i remember my PS2 not being so great at playing backed up retail DVD's. But since my Xbox could play them all just fine (DivX files burned as data DVD's) i did not worry too much about it. SMS media player is suppose to be able to play DivX, and a stock PS2 can play VOB formats without a media player. So what are you burning them with and how? You may want to try transcoding them. It takes forever to do it (DivXto DVD can turn DivX movies into an ISO or standard VOB (Video-TS) files. And Nero is also able to transcode the files to standard DVD format but it takes even longer to finish.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  6. blueshade

blueshade Member

If you really want to play files on an external usb drive, follow the instructions I told you. Go download USBD.IRX somewhere off the internet [use google and put some time into], then put it in the same folder where you have the SMS elf. Then, plug in the USB drive before you launch SMS, launch SMS, and it will automatically detect and enumerate the device. If it works, it will play a sound and at the top of the screen, a usb drive icon will appear. Use left/right on dpad to change drives [ie CD to USB and vice versa].

And btw, please don't use SMS to try to play VOB files, or phailure may occur. Good luck.

7. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

hey thanks man! its a shame it doesnt read dataDVD's..!

8. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

What about Reality Player Pro?
    Does it work with DATA DVDs
    Cause as long as I know it is capable of viewing quite a variety of discs

9. blueshade

blueshade Member

I think it's my mistake from not making it clear, but it is probably the PS2's DVD drive hardware that prevents some people from reading DVD+R data DVDs. DVDs have a media identification bit that identifies the disc as DVD-ROM, DVD+R, DVD-R, etc. Some DVD drives, especially on older DVD players, don't know what to do with a DVD+R disc. Specifically, older revision PS2s which did not specify specifically that they are compatible with DVD+R/RW can't play DVD+R discs of any format [data, dvd, game, whatever]. However, DVD+R is "interchangeable" with DVD-ROM. Many DVD burners support a function called bit-type setting that changes the media ID bit to DVD-ROM when they burn DVD+Rs. This enables the disc to be physically read in ANY DVD drive, and you MUST burn DVD+Rs with bit set as DVD-ROM in order for older revision PS2s to read them. This is not an issue with disc layout or capability of the software: it is simply an issue with the medium on which the data is burned.

10. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Then it seems like a V12 can't even handle a DVD+Rs.
    I hpoe V13 can(?)

11. touran22

touran22 Regular member

nah this doesnt work!

12. blueshade

blueshade Member

Huh, that's odd. I remember specifically on the boxes of V10s and up I think that the DVD+R/RW logos are there. Hmmm...

13. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Figured it out
    You need to fool your PS2 to think of it as DV(ideo)D
    Put this folder as your very first thing in your DATA DVD(you know, DRAG it in before you drag anything else)
    -VIDEO_TS

Fill up the REST with all media you want(that SMS can play)
    A.F.A.I.K. following plays in latest version(2.1)
    Divx(Avi),XVID(Avi),mpg(also as DAT),mp3,vob,and some vids from the Games too!

THANKS TO chippy56 and SKSApps for INFO.