1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to play DVD+R backup on PS 2 (with solderless modchip)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by iterpit2u, Jun 5, 2003.

1. iterpit2u

iterpit2u Guest

i'm not sure i'm recording the PS 2 games right..i'm copying it as a .gi file... it's not loading on my PS 2 .. I have a solderless modchip. (dvd+r will work on PS 2 correct?) I have a DVD+R/RW burner ... i have EASY CD CREATOR to copy my CDand DVD's (will not work DVD to DVD Disc copier for PS 2 games) I have PSX COPY2000 program but it won't recongize my DVD burner only my sony cd burner...
    can you help me?

2. billz

billz Active member

are you using swap magic disk?And what version ps2 do you have?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  3. iterpit2u

iterpit2u Guest

don't know what a swap magic disc is.... i believe my PS 2 is a Version 5.. i have the solderless modchip in it ..... do u know anything about a .gi File & if that's the right format for the PS 2 to play.. ...

4. billz

billz Active member

yes, gi is gobal image file and yes, they work for the ps2.but you must swap a "boot disk" such as swap magic disk,gameshark,or action replay to play backup with a no solder modchip.

p.s.are you using record now?

5. iterpit2u

iterpit2u Guest

What do you mean by using RECORD NOW? I dont see a choice like that. This is what I have done: I used the CD EXTREME program to create and save the .gi file to hard disc. But I cant use the CD EXTREME to record to my DVD because it wont recognize my BUSSLINK DVD BURNER. Only recognizes my Sony CD burner. I used My EASY CD CREATOR to burn the .gi file to disc. it would only let me burn to disc using DATA FILE. Will that work? Wouldnt let me choose .gi files using create a Video. I burned using DATA but dont work. I have and use GAMESHARK for Playstation 2. HELP PLEASE. THANKS

6. billz

billz Active member

"record now" is burning software that is very good a creating games.(I haven't heard of cd extreme.)but record now use gi file. You should find something that can burn the image, (the tutorial is very helpful at finding good software to use) I myself like recordnow which may have came bundle with with your dvdburner.

Are you doing the boot process corectly holding the eject buton and letting the tray close by itself?

7. iterpit2u

iterpit2u Guest

i'll have to look up and see about "record now" .. yes i know how to boot up the PS to load the copied games... i'm able to do the PS 1 (EASY) i'm booting up PS 2 the same way with the PS 2 Gameshark. . but not working.. i'm doing something wrong when i burn the game to the dvd+r disc...

8. billz

billz Active member

the key is burning the image and not putting it on a data disk

9. iterpit2u

iterpit2u Guest

(billz...thanks for all your help so far)
    i found recordnow max online and downloaded it for a 30day free trial and i tried it.... i save the PS 2 game on my hard drive as a .gi file and then burned it on my disc .. seemed to work..but when i boot it up on my PS 2 game nothing happened... sounds like it's going to work but then nothing happens... i'm sure i have a version 5 PS 2 and i'm using GAMESHARK 2..with no solderless modchip .. have dvd+r/rw burner.... .. getting frustrated :( ... don't know what else to do.. i'm doing everything right now ... RIGHT?? any suggestion on what's going wrong.. or what to try now?

10. billz

billz Active member

well it sounds like your good but
    1) did you burn at the slowest speed? and burn image?
    2)what dvd+r media are you using?
    3)does your cd-r's boot?
    4)do know anybody else with a mod ps2 or how has experince doing the swap trick?try your games on their system
    5)The only other thing i could think of is it's your gameshark.I know you might not want to here this (espically since you've already spent a good chunk of change on coasters)but you may need the swap magic disk.If your game shark boots cd-r's. You can do some looking around and find the dvd boot disc by itself for about $7 both normally run for about $15-20
    let me know if need more help

11. billz

billz Active member

12. billz

billz Active member

got this info from ps2 and xbox backup toturial

PS2 without modchip, Using GS/AR/Swap Magic with Swipe/Slide Card or Flip Top, PS2 DVD backup booting

1. Have AR/GS dongle in a memory card slot
    2. Power on your PS2
    3. Insert AR/GS disc, press Reset
    4. At the AR2/GS2 menu, press EJECT
    5. Swap AR/GS disc for an Original-TOC-DVD* and wait 10 seconds
    6. Select "AR/GS Codes"
    7. Highlight "Add new code" and press X to get to the next screen
    8. Press X three times. You will see "Updating code list please wait" each time)
    9. Press "Start" on controller
    10. Select "Without codes", press X
    11. Press X again, you will see "Updating code list please wait"
    12. You will hear Original DVD stop spinning
    13. You will have about 10 seconds to do the following 2 steps
    14. Immediately after disc stops spinning open Flip Top or use Swipe/Slide Card to open PS2 tray
    15. Close Flip top or Use Swipe/Slide Card to close PS2 tray then press X
    16. Screen will change and game will now boot

* Note - "Original-TOC-DVD" is an original DVD that is a larger file size than the backup

* Note - For a shortcut make a few “Add new codes”, or use any title you know you don’t need (you can always reset the dongle) and after step 6 just highlight one of the “newly” added codes or unnecessary ones and press square to delete it, then proceed on with step 9

* Note - For Swap Magic just insert the DVD boot disc, press Reset and when "Insert Disc" is shown on screen use Swipe/Slide Card for swap and follow on screen directions.

*Important* You have to have the correct version of AR/GS in order to boot backups

13. iterpit2u

iterpit2u Guest

YAHOO.... i'm so happy.. TY so much for all your help.. i got it to work :) ... i went to the link u sent me and did the instruction according to that page.. (had to hold x and eject button down at same time) ...anyway... it's WORKING NOW :) ty i appreciated all your help. .

14. billz

billz Active member

good to hear.Hope this will help someone else.
    enjoy!