1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to read a scratced DVD in DVDShrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by garyde, Apr 11, 2005.

1. garyde

garyde Member

I recently got hold of a used copy of 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'. This is a classic BW 1951 Sci Fi movie. Like many of you I like DVDs for many reasons including the 'extras' on many of the discs that aren't found on their VHS counterparts.

In this case, the movie was on side 1 and the extras on side 2. The movie backed up without a hitch but side 2 was badly scratched. It looked like a kid may have been playing with it on a rug full of sand! Tons of scratches.

As always, I cleaned both sides first before attempting the back up but this didn't help side 2. I kept getting CRC errors in Shrink and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to read. I even tried playing it on a stand alone DVD player but it still had read problems from the scratches so I couldn't even watch the original.

Since I figured I didn't have much to lose as I already backed up side 1, I decided to try something drastic. What could I use to polish out all these sand like scratches in side 2??? I needed a very fine abrasive.

Then it came to me, toothpaste. Yup! TOOTHPASTE.

I put a little Crest toothpaste on the DVD and began polishing in a circular spiral pattern. Then I'd try reading the disc. At first I noticed the CRC errors were in different places so apparently it was working.

After about 3 such polish, wash excess off, dry cycles, I tried the DVD and got a perfect backup. NO CRC ERRORS and the original even plays without glitches again.

Try this at your own risk, but if you have a badly scratched DVD this may get you a good copy.

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

this has been around for a while, another one is a good quality car polish on a cotton ball.