1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to read DVD backups with No Swap Chip

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Sgt_USMC, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

I install the no swap chip on my version 4 and have read the direction on: http://www.modchipshop.com/ps2/ps2pnpmoddir.htm and it still doesn't work. I had a successful copy of my 007 Nightfire backup on a Memorex DVD+R at 1x speed and nothing. I go threw all the steps until I hit x to start the backup and it spins the DVD and the screen goes blank? Please help

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

No Swap??? But I thought you said you had to click x to start a backup?? Are you trying to boot games with a bootdisk here??

3. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

I'm sorry, I feel like a dumbass now. I ment No solder mod chip. I'm having trouble with booting the copy

4. Dela

Oh right. Where did you get the no solder mod??

5. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

6. Dela

That should work no problem at all with your boot disk. What boot disk d'you have gameshark or action replay? and where are you in the world

7. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

I live in Austin. I'm using the GS2 disc. I'm actually trying to get it to work right now.

8. Dela

Well that should be fine. The only other guess I could have is the dvd-r media that you have. Some dvd-r media won't work in ps2's. I'm not sure whats good and whats not but, really it depends on how good the dvd-r's are and you can tell that from the cost :)

9. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe the Version 4's can only read the DVD-R. I'm trying it with a DVD+R (memorex purple).

10. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

I'll get a DVD-R disc tomorrow and try it out, I'll let you know, thanks.

11. Dela

I dunno about dvd+r but ps2's definetly read dvd-r and dvd-r from memorex as I've seen it!

12. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

DVD+r and +rw works fine ... but i have a PS2 30004R v 5 so that can be the difference.

I have a lot of copies on DVD+rw (like sportsgames) because every year there is a new version that i copy on the same disc.

For example FIFA 2001 - 2002 - 2003
    For example NHL 2001 - 2002 - 2003

That way i always have just the newest gameversions. If you have 2003 you don't play 2002 anymore...You get my point ?

13. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

14. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

That's nice, but most people want to buy a Messiah (2) or Magic 2 and 3 and they are not in thislist.

The Messiah rules..

15. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

Well still no success. Originally I had 007 nightfire on a DVD+R and it didn't read it. So I copied that game on to a DVD-R thinking that my version 4 can only read the DVD-R. Well still didn't work. I even tried my CD-R old games from my PS1 and that got all the way to the original PS logo screen and froze. I'm using the GS2 disc and doing this procedure:

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/ps2pnpmoddir.htm

I'm thinking that the DVD-R didn't work because I had the whole game copied on to a folder on the harddrive and copied straight from that instead of the DVD+R copy to the DVD-R (using the lastest Nero). I'll try copying that nightfire DVD+R copy I have to straight to the DVD-R later today and see if it works. This is more frustrating than I thought it would be. I'm also going to try and contact modchip.com on this issue. Because when I bought the chip it was for the right version and installed with no problem but their directions to play a backup is for V.5 & v.6 ,see:

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/ps2pnpmoddir.htm

No were on it does it say for version 4 but they sell the chip. Would those steps be any different. I'm also using Memorex media, maybe I sould use Sony DVD-R media. Please any help

Beleive me I'm going to research this if it take wasting more money on coasters.

16. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

I am now conviced that the No Solder modchip for version 4 DOES NOT WORK. Do not buy this chip. My last atempt was copying 1:1 on a DVD-R and doing the precise steps with the GameShark 2 disc and nothing.

17. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

What original game do you use (step 3) ??

It has to be an original with a larger TOC than the DVD copy you made. I think 007 has a large TOC and if you use an original with a smaller one it won't start !

I think this is important !

18. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

The copy is Nightfire. The Original, I've tried Metal Gear Solid 2 and Vice City. What do you mean by TOC?