1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to recognise g04 discs

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jolian, Dec 10, 2004.

1. jolian

jolian Member

Hi,
    i just wanted to know how to recognise g04's. Cos i have to buy this excellent media but i dont know how to recgnise them or at least which brands, like datasafe etc use them...

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If you order some 4x branded Ritek Ridata dvd-r's they should be G04's. I like Newegg but thats just me.

3. jolian

jolian Member

ok 10x for the info. Are the Ridata discs (The red 50pack without spindle) G04's ?

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

5. tomripley

tomripley Member

You might not be able to find them for much longer, as Ritek is supposed to have stopped production of it. The price for 4x media being what it is, I can't imagine any of the big boys will be interested in making it for much longer.

Old stock will probably continue to be around for a while and maybe Ritek will license the code and/or technology to someone else. Given hos popular the media is, fake versions might also start showing up.

To the best of my knowledge the in-house brands of Ritek are Arita (budget), Ridata (mainstream) and Traxdata (premium), so 4x media from all of those should be what you're looking for.

The Datasafe, Ridisc, Datawrite and Bulk-Paq brands all seem to be owned by a scottish distributor called e-net. At least both Datawrite and Bulkpaq have alledgedly been involved with selling media with fake Taiyo Yuden ids. Here's confirmation by the British dealer svp.co.uk (look for the post by 'svp communication'):
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=112854&page=2&pp=25&highlight=svp

Make of it what you will.

6. jolian

jolian Member

Is Ritek going to close down or what? And what are g05's ? Which is the next best manafacturer you can think of?

7. tomripley

tomripley Member

I very much doubt Ritek will close down, they'll just move production to 8x and 16x media, where the margins are higher, at least for the time being.

RITEKG05 is the media code used by 8x Ritek media.

8. jolian

jolian Member

oh ok fine thanks i thought they were gonna close down (god forbin that!) :)
    I'm currently using datawrite printable DVD-R 8x with a TYG02 media code .Are these good? I'll be moving ot ritek as soon as i finish these but just know, are these good discs?

9. tomripley

tomripley Member

That code belongs to Taiyo Yuden, so if they're genuine, they're likely to be very good. If they're fake, hard to say really.

If you believe the English dealer in the link I've posted Datawrite has sold media with fake TY codes previously, so these might be too.

10. 6foot7

6foot7 Member

As far as I'm concerned, they can go ahead and close down. Their media isn't what it's cranked up to be. At first I thought I might have gotten a bad batch of disks, so I bought 200 more ( 4X DVD -R) and the same results. You might get 2 good disks out of every 10! I purchased them from SUPERMEDIASTORE. I purchased some maxell disks from STAPLES and out of the fifty I bought I had 3 bad ones.

11. tomripley

tomripley Member

6foot7 - Just wondering, what brand were the discs you had problems with? Also, what burner do you use and have you installed the latest firmware?

Your ratio of bad discs also seems too high for the Maxells, they're usually quite decent. Or, at least, they're considered to be so.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jolian,
    If you've been useing media that is genuine Taiyo Yudens, you will probably be disappointed with G04's. TY is grade A stuff. Hard to beat.

13. tomripley

tomripley Member

They most likely aren't genuine Taiyo Yuden.

14. jolian

jolian Member

The brand i use are the Datawrite Printables which are marked to be 8x but i reached 12x on them with a transfer rate test. However even G04's are Grade A media, so they should be the same as regards to quality and compatibility.

15. jolian

jolian Member

And BTW, is the only way to recognise a fake TYG02 by its crappy quality? Because all my backups work flawlessly in my ps2. So at least they're good fakes :)

16. 6foot7

6foot7 Member

tomripley, I was having the major problems with the RIDATA (RITEK)media, not the MAXELL. I have since switched to using MAXELL and I have had much better success at backing up my disks.

17. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

I have also got a batch of Ritek Ridata 4x DVD-R, that were causing problems. I have found that the problem is right at the end of the burn and if you set the compression to 4300 instead of 4464 it works fine. This stops it burning right to the edge of the disc where the problems are.