1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to recover games from hard drive from broken modded xbox original

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Docmiddy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Docmiddy

Docmiddy Member

I have an old xbox original that was modded with 120 gb hard drive. This xbox is no longer working. Is there anyway to connect the hard drive from the xbox to my PC and retrieve the games that I had saved on it?

2. eebeejay

eebeejay Regular member

Retrieve the games? The games are about 6.5 gigs each, and you need the game disc to use that anyway. You only really need your saves and profile. The software you need is Xport 360 or Xplorer 360. Use it with one of these to connect the drive to the PC.

On the other hand, you do know that the hard drive will still work on another 360 when/if you get one, right?

3. Docmiddy

Docmiddy Member

This is an xbox original (not a 360). This xbox was modded and I was able to store a number of games on the hard drive (120gb) that I was able to play directly From the hard drive. Is there anyway to remove the hard drive from the xbox, install it in my PC as another hard drive and access it to retrieve those games. I have already installed this hard drive into my PC but it doesn't recognize the drive and/or won't allow me to access it. Any help is appreciated

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

you didn't use the software eebejay mentioned that is why windows can't see the folders,why don't you just get another xbox & mod it then place the 120gb in it problem solved,it would also pay to ftp the games to an external so you have a backup

5. Docmiddy

Docmiddy Member

So short of buying another xbox 1 and modding it and inserting the hard drive, is there no other way to retrieve these games from this hard drive? Such as some program that will recognize the xbox hard drive.

My goal was to buy a JTAG xbox 360 and play these games from an external hard drive.

6. Docmiddy

Docmiddy Member

Does that software that eebejay mentioned work for xbox 1 as well?

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Don't know if the software see's the games folder however yes it works on xbox,not sure if a jtag box can or can't see the games as they are now on the 120gb it'd save a stack of hassle if it can

8. eebeejay

eebeejay Regular member

Sorry. Misread that. Thought it was a 360.

9. Zenevolution

Zenevolution Member

Okay, I have a stock 4gb modded Xbox I recently upgraded to 120gb through Chimp and FTPd a lot of original Xbox games to it. One of these games had a Xboxliveupdate.xbe I accidentally clicked instead of Default.xbe and it launched the Xbox MS dashboard. I quickly reset and it seemed fine. Later, playing a game, I reset the console and it went straight to the MS dashboard and wont launch the modded dashboard. Im sure this is because I updated the MS dashboard. I dont have the games or files anymore except on that 120gb HDD that fell back into MS dash. Can I recover said games from a PC? Can I recover the softmod without deleting the games and data? What are my options? Thank you!

Edit: I'm using chimp on my stock 4gb to clone partitions C: and E: so hopefully that won't overwrite what's on partition F: (muh games!).

Edit: LOL, didn't work. I have the HDD modded again but it's fresh. Oh well, guess this is a good opportunity to upgrade to 500gb... And an example of what NOT works.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011