1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to reinstall a dvd rom tray correctly?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by andycast, Dec 17, 2014.

1. andycast

andycast Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone had serviced a 360 dvd rom & had experienced the same issues as myself and if you had you been able to fix it.

Originally I was attempting to fix a dvd rom that would not eject, I followed online instructions to clean & grease the cogs but because the drive was particularly fluffed up with dust it suggested removing disc tray from the drive to give it a proper clean which I did but being a newbie I jumped in head first & decided to remove tray & add more grease to the cogs and in doing so I rotated the cogs from their original position.

I realised almost immediately that I would have problems reinstalling the tray, true to form I had messed up, so now when I reattach the disc tray and cycle the tray back into the drive I find that the dvd carriage (if that's correct) the part which holds the laser & disc spindle rises up & blocks the disc tray from returning fully back into the dvd drive.

I've tried different positions in the cog cycle but the laser carriage either blocks tray or doesn't rise up to the tray or tray or is blocked by plastics mechanics underneath the tray preventing me from cycling the tray back into the drive, I've googled this issue & can't find anything specific to this issue, someone out there must have had the same issue at sometime, I would be grateful if anyone could offer me some practical info to get a absolute beginner out of a jam much appreciated.
    Just a little bit more info the dvd rom is a Toshiba (2006 model)

2. richietea

richietea Regular member

Ive encountered many a slipped dvd drive tray,some with brute force have been fixed others take time breaking down the components and realigning.As its a Samsung TS-H943 your pcb(circuit board) is interchangeable.So i would buy the whole unit and take the pcb out of the new one and put in the pcb from the old one.They are very cheap nowadays from places like ebay.literally a 5 min job.

andycast likes this.
  3. andycast

andycast Member

Thanks richietea!

I managed to get the tray back in so it
    Now opens and the dvd drive carriage doesn't rise and block the tray, I'll try to explain how but without knowing the name of the components I might struggle to explain, firstly I tried just rotating the plastic cogs a little at time to see if I could reconnect the tray correctly but I was not able to dispite rotating the cogs moving the mechanism from left to right a little at a time I could not find a postion were the tray would fit & slide back without raising the laser carriage to block tray or fitting the tray and the laser carriage wouldn't rise at all.

Your right I eventually got it back in by force trial and error I found the sweet spot where the plastic mechanics is slightly cycled left so that the plastic white notch on the mechanics was either on the left of the teeth or in channel (I'm Unsure now) of the underneath of the tray by manipulating bending it when I was satisfied the tray sat in the right position (slightly inserted along the track) I applied pressure to tray to bend it above the notch to allow me to force the plastic notch and mechanics rightwards to clear the teeth so that the mechanics then reengage with the tray to allow it to move freely, I would only advise as a last resort there has to be a better method.

One other question I managed to fix the stuck drive by greasing the cogs and the teeth it ejects fine but when the xbox is on its side it won't eject does it require more grease a new belt or is it that plastic widget in roof of the disc drive?, thanks in advance.

4. richietea

richietea Regular member

The drive belt might be too loose.A handy trick is to take the rubber belt off and place it in boiling water for a minute or so.This shrinks it slightly and gives it a tighter grip to the open/close mechanism.

andycast likes this.
  5. andycast

andycast Member

@richietea,
    Great! I'll give it a try later, thanks again.

Kind regards.
    Andy.

6. andycast

andycast Member

The hot water belt trick worked perfectly the 360 now ejects when stood upright, nice one, thanks @richietea.

7. richietea

richietea Regular member

Your welcome.Have a great crimbo..

8. andycast

andycast Member

Thanks you too bud :).