1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to repair a DVP 642/37 stuck in "Stand By" mode! This is seriously helpful!!!

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Azrial_X, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Azrial_X

Azrial_X Guest

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have a DVP 642/37 that was purchanced new sometime in November of 2005. It was given to me as a Christmas Gift and worked great in everything I wanted it too do up until a week ago.

All of a sudden I went to put a movie in, and find the player is in a constant Stand By mode. The Red LED light won't turn off, and I've followed instructions on the Philips web site. And I won't pay them $15 to get Tech advice that may or may not work.

I suggest to anyone that wants to fix this problem for a simple $1.50 to read the rest of the thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2006
  2. Azrial_X

Azrial_X Guest

Okay, I may have solved my problem...and even though I haven't recived any responses I definatly wished to share this information with anyone having this issue.

http://360.yahoo.com/mikescottfrank

This link will take you to a blog page that has both text and visual instructions of how to make the repair that should fix the RED Stand By button issue. On the page to the right, you will see a small thumbnail under "Photos" This is the visual referance. I sugjest taking the time to click through each picture and saving them for later referance to your hard drive.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/philips_dvp642/message/1720

This is the written text on how to resolve the topic issue. It's very explanitory and easy to follow. Use this along with your visual referance.

Lastly, the reason this issue is such a problem is because our wonderful greedy jerks at Philips who made such a useful product, decided to cut corners by 50 cents and install a cheaper 10 volt capcitor that goes bad in a year or less (Planned Obsolesance My Butt!). In order to fix the problem it is suggested that one install a 16 or 32 volt capcitor instead in hopes to avoid future problems.

This may or may not work, I've yet to try it but will be doing so in less than 24hrs and will update my message after I have done so. So bookmark this thread to your favorites for easy access and keep a look out for my update after I do the fix.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2006
  3. Azrial_X

Azrial_X Guest

Okay, I did the repare which was fairly easy with an extra set of hands. After removing the faulty capacitor, I successfully installed a new 35v 1000 mu capacitor I purchaced from Radio shack. The Radio Shach stock number is 272-1032.

Once the repair was complete the machine worked perfectly! I seriously suggest for anyone that has this problem to check out the sites in the post above and stick it to Phyilips where it counts. Enjoy and be safe in your repairs.

4. s0ccerb0y

s0ccerb0y Guest

For the record this DVD player worked great until 2 nights ago when the standby light started blinking. I bought mine in May of 2004. So I almost got 2 years of service for $67.00. Not bad. So I too followed the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/philips_dvp642/message/1720

I followed the instructions to the letter to perform the repair. I did not own a soldering iron so I went to Radio Shack and purchased one along with a new 35v 1000 mu capacitor. Radio Shack has a soldering iron kit that has the iron and solder for 7.99.

So for $10.00 I completed the repair and the machine works great!

Thanks to Azrial_X for the valuable info.