1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To RIP a DVD MENU and EDIT It, ONLY?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by morrisonx, Jul 11, 2009.

1. morrisonx

morrisonx Member

Hello i will need help i have done it before but more then 5 years ago and i do not remember how its done you can rip a DVD menu Example insert a lost season 1 disk 3 DVD on to your system and you can rip the menu the motion menu, and then edit it and make your own DVD with that menu! How can this be done? anyone has any idea? can you help me please????

I have these software's.
    DVD Encore 2.0
    Sonic Scenarist 4
    DVD Architect 5
    Sony Vegas 9.0
    Video Edit Magic 4.3
    PGCEdit XP
    DVDReMake

But i cant figure out any of them and they cant do what i want only the PGCEdit but its VERY VERY hard to use can understand it there is some forum here in After dawn but its not complete is there any easier way?>?
    PLEASE HELP THIS IS URGENT!!!

If this cant be done can anyone help me take a mpeg video or avi or any kind of video and make a DVD menu from that video? CAN THIS BE DONE? WHAT PROGRAM DO I USE? IS IT QUICK? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

KEEEEEEEP THEEEEEE SOFTWAREEEEEEESSSSSS
    FFFFFFRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE

2. PCH_Dude

PCH_Dude Member

What software did you use 5 years ago to edit the menus? I don't think any of the free programs you mentioned here can do that, but I believe Sony Vegas can (wish I had that one), try reading the user guide on it.

3. morrisonx

morrisonx Member

Hello and thank you but actually none of the programs I use are free. They are all paid for. And yes lots of money has gone into these programs i did try sony vegas for this but with no luck. 5 years ago I did remeber to use a program but i have no clue what that program was and it was paid for also not a free-be. Why dont we do this you help me how to rip a dvd menu from a dvd, and edit it and I'll get you a copy of Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 Edition hows that sound?

4. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

You can take your AVI file and run it through DVD Flick or AVStoDVD. Both of these programs will convert to dvd format and create menus if you so choose. And yes they are both free.

5. PCH_Dude

PCH_Dude Member

That'd be cool!
    Actually the only thing I use these days is DVD-Remake 3.2 (not Pro Version), I did many edits with this software as for removing dead cell blocks, edit the menu/hide menu buttons and delete scenes to its associated paths. Also, I have the option to fit more than 2 discs in one for exporting; it would create a couple of menu buttons (choose "Disc 1" or "Disc 2") option when I first load the disc to play.

I'm not sure what exactly is offered on the 'Pro' version but I heard that you can actually move or remove menu buttons, add menu buttons, and rename or edit the names in menu buttons to its associated paths. I know the Pro version can do some amazing things. Maybe fiddling around with the version you have might lead you back on track to where you want to go.

6. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

7. morrisonx

morrisonx Member

Thanks And I know this will not be considered as a PIRACY since its just a menu I will not rip the MOVIE that will be FBI RULES. But thanks anyway for your help. and About the Menu Shrink Found it very easy to find its here in

I'll try this also i have done many hours of research and found a very interesting piece of program TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 works like a charm and you can make .AVI files or .MPEG video files or any kind of movie that you have into a motion activated menu. And thank you all for your help still cant find how to rip and edit a menu on an original dvd but thanks anyway keep in touch if you find anything.

And PCH_Dude how may I help you get the Vegas Pro 9.0 I have 3 Licenses I purchased Would you like to have one? How would I send you the information?

8. PCH_Dude

PCH_Dude Member

Thanx, check your private msg.

9. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I'm not sure what you want to do, so I will just put a couple of scenarios.

1. If you want to use the Lost Menu on your Home Made DVD, for example say you want Lost menu on your Wedding movie, all you need is PGCEdit.

Rip the menu using your favorite DVD Ripper. Say the menu is in VTS_02, the file you want is VTS_02_0.IFO and VTS_02_0.VOB.

Open PGCEdit and create a new DVD. Import your movie (it has to be multiplexed already).

After that, import the Lost Menu. Then just edit the buttons so that they point to where you want them to point. It takes time, but it's the only way to reuse a menu using free software. It's not too hard to do because you are creating all new commands. This is easier than editing DVD Commands since you can just make the navigation as simple as possible.

If the movie has not been multiplexed, then you have to import the Lost Menu into your Authoring software. This is a little tricky because you have to rip the subpics from the menu. I believe PGCDemux can do this. You then have to import the Menus, subpics and main movie. With Scenarist, you work with scenes, so you have to create scenes in your movie track and these will be your chapter points. Then you have to create your button commands and navigation commands. If you are working with multiple VTS, it can get complicated quickly.

If you are not familiar with Scenarist, you can try DVD Architect. From what I remember from Version 3, it is very user friendly. It handles all the internals, you just worry about making buttons and chapter points.

2. If you want to edit the Lost Menu to make it look different, then you could be in for quite a task. Depending on what you want to do, it could take a long time to get what you want. If it's something simple, like adding text or adding extra layers of video/images/etc... then Sony Vegas will make this into a piece of cake. If you are doing something like removing a person from the video, then you are doing something that has to be edited frame by frame... Doing a good job on video can take ages. I edited a still menu removing a button and changing the layout of the menu and it took many hours for it to look like the menu was originally created to look the way I edited it to look.

For the still menu, the process was:

Rip menu
    Create still image from .m2v file
    import into photoshop
    edit (this took many layers and lots of patience) and save
    import into DVD Authoring Software
    Multiplex into new menu
    Import back into DVD using PGCEdit
    Edit/correct DVD Navigation
    Test and Save

It would have been faster to just create a new menu.

3. If you are looking to remove a cell from the menu, then you need IFOEdit, PGCEdit and FixVTS. You can do it with VobBlanker, but it is not as professional. This is tricky because you have to move the cell you want to remove to the end of the VOB. This means you have to modify all the sector addresses of the cells... You then have to make the cell unreferenced. Then you have to modify all commands so that they correspond to the new menu structure. Finally, you remove the references from the cell in IFOEdit and FixVTS will take it out of the VOB. This takes a lot of time and it very advanced since you are editing a lot of DVD commands and are messing with the internal structure through the IFO files. One error could potentially ruin the DVD.

4. With DVDs, you can easily rip video from any point and create it into a menu. Keep this in mind since it may be easier to create a new menu from scratch using some video from within a Lost Episode than to edit an existing menu.

10. laugh1

laugh1 Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  11. PCH_Dude

PCH_Dude Member

morrisonx, did you get my pm?