1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to rip games WITHOUT Kreon drive. [Modified tutorial of Dark_Merlin]

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Cill, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Cill

Cill Guest

ALL CREDITS GO TO DARK_MERLIN OF http://www.xbox360iso.com/ FORUMS

So by now you've been trawling the internet trying to find a way to rip your 'original' games without buying a kreon drive. But all you've found is outdated tutorials that use old programs!

Well, here's a tutorial on how to use the wxRipper method to rip an original xbox 360 game just using a regular dvd drive, without the need of any special drives like the kreon or benq 0800!

This Tutorial SHOULD be really easy to follow, i tried to make it as user friendly as possible.

We begin with what you'll need:
    Software:
    wxRipper
    abgx360
    abgx ini fix (credit goes to m60_maniac for those links)
    CloneCD

Hardware:
    Dual layer dvd drive for burning (or ripping)
    DVD drive (only for ripping)
    XBOX 360 Original Game
    Video DVD >7.6gb
    [​IMG]

I'm using a regular DVD reader, as i dont have a dual layer burner drive, but i have one in my laptop.

I say DVD over 7.6gb as when i first tried doing this, i got irrepairable CRC errors because of lack of padding when i used a 7.4gb DVD. So, i used a Queen concert dvd I had laying around.

To begin we remove the faceplate from your dvd drive. So to get that little drive face off, stick the paperclick in the emergency eject hole, and simply slide it up to lift it off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now we remove the faceplate, there should be a couple of clips you just have to push with your fingernail (or a screwdriver) and it'll slide right off.
    [​IMG]

NOTE: You may be able to do this without opening your DVD drive, try opening the DVD drive using the emergency eject hole after you hit the stop button if you dont want to open your drive. This did not work for me but people say this works for them, why not try it?

Now flip your drive over and remove the screws holding the top of the drive down.
    [​IMG]

Be careful after this, as the bottom might fall off, my DVD drive did this. Just simply hold it to the DVD drive, to prevent damage to the components inside
    [​IMG]

Now we want to lift the top of that DVD drive off. There should be a couple of clips on the sides, just press them in and lift the top off. Mine took a fair but of pulling to come off, so dont be afraid to put some effort into it.
    [​IMG]

Now you have your DVD drive wide open!
    [​IMG]

Rather than using blue tack to hold the drive down, I just bent the clips on the side that held the casing on, until they broke. This will not compromise the casing sturdyness as the case will still be held on securely by the four screws at the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Now to make things a bit easier I bent the bottom flaps out a bit (you really don’t have to bend them as much as I did, I just did it so you guys could see where to bend it. This will allow you to easily slide the drive on and off.
    [​IMG]

Now comes the fun part, ripping your dvd.

Hit the eject button on the DVD player so that the drive slides itself out. Put your dvd in just as you would normally, and as soon as it goes in all the way, replace the top metal case.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put the lid back on all the way. I also like to place a weight on top of the drive just in case it is a fraction of the way elevated. I used a harddrive but anything heavy will do fine.

[​IMG]

The dvd should begin to spin up and read. Now open wxRipper on your pc
    [​IMG]

Now hit the magnifying glass button, it will find the 'magic number' and a list of numbers and copy, jump and dummy should appear under it.
    [​IMG]

Now we need to change that third line 'Copy' to 'Dummy' so that it will rip properly. So go to file and hit 'Save Layout'
    [​IMG]

Im using a Queen dvd, so i'll save my layout as 'queen'
    [​IMG]

Now open your layout file with notepad as so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notepad should be under the other programs list, but ive used it to open it before =P

Notepad should open and you should see a list. See that 3rd line with a C? We need to change it to a D.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now go back into wxRipper and hit 'Open Layout', select your layout you just edited.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice that the copy is now a dummy.
    [​IMG]

Now hit the stop drive button, the disc in the drive should stop spinning, and you can lift the case, remove the movie it and replace it with your xbox game. In this tutorial, im using Halo 3. Remember don’t eject the drive, just lift the case and replace the disc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now put the case back on and hit 'Start Drive' to make the disc start spinning.
    [​IMG]

Now hit the little green arrow button to start the rip, select where you want to put your iso and what to name it. I named mine 'Halo 3'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now your iso will start ripping! It will go through the different sectors and mark them off as done, when it is done you can simply close wxRipper and eject the disc from your drive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now if we need to use abgx360 to inject all the various stealth files into the iso. Make sure you have the ini update for abgx360 installed, as it has the newest stealth files for games.

A link to a current abgx360 tutorial is:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1YOH9GN

Now after abgx360 is complete burn the .DVD (NOT THE .ISO) which should be in the same folder as the .iso was put.

I use Imgburn to burn. It’s a freeware application and very simple to use. I would give you a pictured guide to do it but I just modified Dark_Merlin’s tutorial to prove some idiots wrong about needing to burn with a kreon, so unfortunately the burning part is beyond the scope of this modified tutorial.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

One suggestion, you may want to move that "NOTE..." about possibly not needing to even open the drive from where it's at to right there above the first step. That way people see it right away.

The problem many run in to ejecting via paperclip (instead of tearing apart a drive) is that they don't know how to properly close the tray after swapping discs. That tray has to be pushed in fast and with enough force to lock the drive. If they don't then it doesn't work.

There's already plenty of wxRipper tuts, so just adding another log to the fire wan't necessary.

You may also want to mention that the results of using this method is no better than downloading and praying that you get good stealth info after it's patched.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  4. Cill

Cill Guest

Tutorial was not made by me. I simply posted it up here with a bit of modification. People on this site were complaining of no such way to rip a game without using kreon drives, so I decided to post this here because it originally resided on a forum which required registration to view.

This method is a lot better than downloading a game and praying that it is stealthed correctly :S. You go through the stealthing process yourself from scratch, which insures that you have done everything correctly and have a properly stealthed rip. I simply posted this here because everyone was recommending to buy kreon drives to rip games, which is totally unnecessary.

Sure, you're somewhat 'ripping the drive apart' but really those clips are not needed and bending it a bit wont disrupt anything if you need to remount it to your PC. Think of them as modifications not 'ripping the drive apart'. It only took me five minutes to take the case off and once its done it doesn't need to be done again.
  5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I do understand that this isn't your tut. But it is your thread, that's why I had made that suggestion.

I'm sorry, but that's completely wrong. With this method you're doing absolutely nothing, stealth-wise, from scratch. You're relying on abgx to stealth patch the rip. And that's the exact same thing it does with downloaded games. So in the end, like I said, your rip would be no better than one which was downloaded. Both will have identical stealth data.

Doing it from scratch would be not only ripping your own game data, but also ripping your own stealth data.

And to do that you'd need either a Kreon drive or use your own 360 drive.
  6. Cill

Cill Guest

So where do you think the stealth files and such come from when they are put on the database for abgx360 smart guy?

Kreon drives (but preferrably the 0800 or 360 drive)..

They are essentially the exact same thing.

The only plus side of using a kreon is being able to stealth games that are not in the database or very new release games (its rare though).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I'm really beginning to think that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You just copy and paste info from a few others and take it as gospel.

Like I just posted in the other thread, each game doesn't have just one set of ss, dmi, pfi, and video. There's multiple sets for each game. But abgx just uses one set. And that database is wrong from time to time.

Red Faction comes to mind. People that patched their iso's with abgx's data had to repatch and reburn later because the data was bad.

If you can't afford the cash for a Kreon drive, that's fine. But don't go around spreading the misconception that wxripper is just as safe as making your own stealth rips.

Because, like you're already seeing in multiple threads, you're going to be called out for it.
  8. eebeejay

eebeejay Regular member

@ Cill

I'm not trying to piss in your cheerios, your method is OK, and thanks for the info. But the end result is that a rip from your "Torn Apart Drive" method requires ABGX to fix it. A downloaded ISO may need to be fixed by ABGX also, so it's essentially the same thing.

Kreon drives are very cheap considering their purpose, that I'm sure most people will opt for them before any other self-ripping options. Plus the look stock, and go inside the PC or external closure where they belong. But I'm sure some are gonna use your method until their Kreon arrives in the mail.

1: Kreon Drive.
    2: Xbox 360 "0800" flashed drive.
    3: Downloaded ISO.
    4: Get them from a friend.
    5: Torn Apart Drive.

But once again, thanks for the info. I'm gonna test it out.
  9. leerage

leerage Regular member

0800 BenQ for the win.