1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to run PC game from Harddrive instead of from CD?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by afoken, Dec 27, 2004.

1. KCflyGuy

KCflyGuy Regular member

Nephilim or Geestar20,

I love the virtual drives. Is there any way I can download or have more than 4 virtual drives? I know I can still save my games on my HD, but I thought it would be a great idea to have it already mounted on to a drive and I can just click it from there.

2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I think there is a program called Virtual CD that let's you have up to 60.

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

How many PC games or movies you got to have 60 Virtual drives -Quadratic- LOL :D

Alcohol has virtual drives although I have never successfully mounted a Securom protected games, just Safedisc. Just a FYI...in my cases of tryig to mount them to a virtual drive.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  4. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

I've successfully used Farstone's GameDrive in the past. There were few games that it couldn't make a VCD for. And it allows you to have as many virtual drives as you have remaining letters. Of course, this isn't a free program. And their customer service is essentially non-existent, but their product does seem to work well.

Also, the program(s) that allow you have up to 60(?) virtual drives, exactly how are they assigning the virtual drives. So for the US would you only have access to letters A-Z (minus C an D most likely)? Other countries with more characters in their alphabet would have more? Just curious.

5. Renas

Renas Member

The letters are a representation, eventually the system would use something else, but the limit is how much space you have not how many letters.

6. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

So you mean the program would use a FOLDER or DIRECTORY instead of a letter? Hmmmm. Ok. I can mount a new hard drive that way, so I guess you could do the same with VCD's.

7. Renas

Renas Member

Back in the day my windows98 was split in over 15 hard drives, going up to Q which was my cd-rom drive. It never went to Z probably because of the lack of space needed for a drive to run itself. Whatever happened to drive B, rofl.

8. rockdawg

rockdawg Regular member

yeah, long live the 5.25" floppy. hey, at least you could clip the edge of those disks and make it a double sided disk, unlike the 3.5" disks. Anyway, I'm secretly glad the floppy is finally going away. I think I use one about three times a year.