1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to run PS2 games from USB drive??

Discussion in 'PS2 - Games' started by Kamrul06, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Kamrul06

Kamrul06 Member

Hi,

I am new here. Recently I have bought a PS2. Now I want to play ps2 games from USB drive. I will download ps2 games if it is possible.

So, please describe me how to run PS2 games from USB drive.

Thanks in advanced
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. wroxtar

wroxtar Member

- You need to have a software called USB Advance or USB Extreme(search the internet or contact me if you can't find it).
    - Write this software using DVD Decrypter onto a blank CD-R.
    - Insert the disc into the playstation 2.
    - You should have a USB Pen drive ready, of capacity minimum 4 GB.
    - Alongwith the USB Advance, you will get a software for your PC to convert the downloaded games into the games playable through USB.
    - Open the software, browse for a game file, and convert it.
    - Now insert the pen drive into your computer and copy the converted game files into the pen drive.
    - Remove the pen drive from computer and insert it in your PS2.
    - Boot your PS2 with the USB ADvance CD in it and now select the game and press the 'X' button to play!

Feel free to contact me for any detail.
  4. shrek02

shrek02 Member

is it possible to run this USB Advance without the CD? my drive totally spoil and it can't read any disc anymore.

thanks
  5. wroxtar

wroxtar Member

I am really sorry to say buddy,
    But your drive should be able to read the CD once, so that you can play your games through USB.

I am presently not aware of any method of booting your PS2 using a USB Pen drive.
    If I come to know, I will be sharing for sure and expect the same from your end.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  6. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Well, first off, you should just rip your games to your PC using DVD Decrypter if possible. It'll save on downloading time. (Har har har. 'Cuz you're probably just stealing the games anyway. But I digress.)

There IS a way to boot USBAdvance without burning it to a disc, but to do that, you have to have Swap Magic. Since your PS2 can't play discs, it can't play Swap Magic, and since it can't play Swap Magic, you're pretty much screwed. (Swap Magic allows you to boot homebrew software - in this case, USBAdvance - and if you can't load Swap Magic, you can't do a lot of the stuff you want.)

Why did you buy a PS2 if it couldn't read discs? Seems like a really bad investment to me. You can probably buy replacement parts for it online if you really want.

Anyway. Hope that helps.
  7. wroxtar

wroxtar Member

Yes, I do agree with "KajNrig".
    You may opt to go with buying a new LENS for your PS2 and that would allow you to play all your games on discs.

They are available online.
  8. Kamrul06

Kamrul06 Member

Thanks wroxtar, I have no Swap magic disk. Can I play ps2 games from USB by using your method??
  9. Kamrul06

Kamrul06 Member

I also need USB Advance/USB Extreme software. Plz send me it to my email. Email: kamrulahsan06@gmail.com
  10. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Kamrul, kid, there's such a thing as etiquette, even on the internet.

1.) There's no way to boot any USB games if you can't boot a disc even once. You need to get a laser assembly so that you can boot even a single disc, which is what you'll need to do in order to boot USBAdvance.

What happens is this: Put in Swap Magic/some other boot disc, load your homebrew software (USBAdvance). You can't skip that first step until you've done it at least once.

2.) Search for the freaking things yourself. It's not hard to find at all. And have fun getting your email spammed up like nobody's business; if you had read the rules, you would have realized that giving out your email is a no-no, because spambots will suck it up.

3.) Not to be a complete jerk, of course. Google "usbadvance download" or something and you should find it easily.
  11. wroxtar

wroxtar Member

Hey chillax man,
    I don't understand what fun people derive out of spamming.

And I don't even want to know...so it's quite natural that I won't do such a stuff ever.

Want to believe...you may..otherwise I don't care.
    But I never spam, and I don't even know how to do it or why to do it.
    Even if someone lists down the benefits for the same, I won't support it, coz its something like harassing someone, which is against my ethics.

And Kamrul06, don't worry, I'll find time to consider your request and mail the entire procedure to you, but as the mod said, you need to boot the disc at least once.

Thanks for sharing this thing mod.
  12. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

...what are you talking about? I said there are going to be spambots that are going to find his email and send him a bunch of random junk. I never said anything about anybody spamming anyone.

And we already told the kid that he NEEDED to have a working laser assembly. The fact that he ignored us is his fault, not ours. I'm definitely not gonna help him when he won't even bother trying to help himself. Like buying a laser, for instance. Or searching for USBAdvance.
  13. wroxtar

wroxtar Member

Awrite,yeah...

True...very true...
    I am sorry I misunderstood your statement.
    My mistake.

I apologize for that.

14. radiata

radiata Member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  15. radiata

radiata Member

does have be a modded ps2 and can u do this with any model of ps2
  16. wroxtar

wroxtar Member

Yes PS2 has to be modded as far as my knowledge goes or if not that, maybe it can even work with SWAP MAGIC THING... I'm not sure about the latter though, coz I haven't used it.
  17. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

I haven't kept up with the PS2 USBAdvance, so I'm not sure if you can direct-boot it from SM. Try downloading the USBAdvance .elf, and then rename it to "SMBOOT0.ELF".

In your USB flash drive's root, create a folder called "SWAPMAGIC" (all capital letters). Put your SMBOOT0.ELF file inside that folder.

Boot up Swap Magic, plug in your USB drive, and at the SM menu, press Up+L1. If everything goes right, USBAdvance should boot perfectly. If it doesn't boot, then it won't work on the PS2.

(What I described was the steps for the PS3, so... yeah.)
  18. radiata

radiata Member

i thouth if this could be used on none modded ps2 would be nice i own over 50+ ps2 games musty rpgs and what keep them froming geting marked up but i don't really have the money to buy a permodded ps2 atm. i have a ps3 but has hardware failer i need sent in be fixed but coat 150 doller i have ps3 games in wrapers that hav't even opein T T re5 =(
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  19. wroxtar

wroxtar Member

aw my sympathies with you mate...
    that's really a disaster!
    Let's see how we can help you out.
    I'll hit you back once I reach home...Am at the office right now.
  20. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

You can get Swap Magic for around $25, and you won't mod a thing on your PS2.
  21. wroxtar

wroxtar Member

But that SwapMagic thingy is not available in the country where I stay. They are more popular in other countries maybe. Here, modded PS2 are available.