1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem How to select part of shown video image to copy

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by migTMC, Mar 23, 2015.

1. migTMC

migTMC Member

Hello. the title I gave here does not explain what I'm looking for exactly so I'll explain.

I have a video file that only has the streaming video images shown in a small box at the center of the media player. In other words, the streaming video doesn't take up the whole window of the media player like most videos do.

Is there a program that allows for the section of the footage to be cut and kept, the rest which is around the box of footage to be removed?

Attached Files:

2. attar

attar Senior member

You want to crop the video to remove the surrounding black?
    AviDemux or VirtualDub - depending on the type of source video.

source.

dest.

3. migTMC

migTMC Member

Thanks, I will try these programs.

With AviDemux, can't find any tutorial yet about how to do what I need but will keep looking.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i googled it a few months ago and found several tutorials online using avidemux????
    basically its in filters ,crop and then you move the margins in to crop the image.

5. migTMC

migTMC Member

Tried using AviDemux but can't get the output file to the cropped file, stays as original uncropped video. Using VirtualDub and the problem is that the output file, after cropping, is going to be about 100gbs! Can see that the problem is with the data rate, where in the original it is 2004kbps, in the output cropped video it is about 270,000, something ridiculous. Seems that it has something to do with the video having to be decompressed for the cropping or editing to take place, resulting in such a huge sized file. Don't know how to get around this and the PC I'm using for this doesn't even have 100gbs on the Hard drive, it's an older one.

Anyone know how to resolve this, how to get an output cropped file that is normal size, so really about 1-3gbs?

6. attar

attar Senior member

VirtualDub's default output is uncompressed video (huge file size).
    Since the video is being cropped it has to be recompressed - which means a suitable codec has to be available for it to use.
    Install a VFW codec like XviD then run VirtualDub; filter as required then Click 'Video' > 'Compression' and choose the installed XviD codec before saving.

http://www.videohelp.com/software/XviD-Codec