1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set an editable text file as a desktop BG

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by diggum, Sep 23, 2014.

1. diggum

diggum Member

Title says it all: Is there any way (any third party program?) to set a text file as my desktop background AND be able to edit it on the fly?

I am taking language courses and it would be VERY helpful to me to have a calendar with the local names of the week/month/numbering system directly in my face this way. Ideally it would be editable to I can also type in notes in the language and change the numbers when a new month shows up. It's kind of an immersion thing, so kindly accept this as the answer to any "why do you want to do this stupid thing, you're stupid just use a text file/notepad++" etc etc posts in advance.

Thanks for reading my request and for any replies I get (that aren't "why do you want to do this stupid thing, you're stupid etc etc).

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i just did a test i wrote something in notepad then i maximised note pad and hit ctrl + print screen,opened photoshop and hit ctlr +v .this was the result and not hard to do .took me about 30 seconds i was thinking you could direct paste from word to photo but didn't work. test.

3. diggum

diggum Member

Indeed. But instructions for putting up a picture that is not editable on the desktop is not what I requested.

4. diggum

diggum Member

Perhaps I haven't been clear: What I am looking for is something turns your desktop into a functional work surface. Google searches have been unproductive and probably because such software doesn't exist (HINT HINT: Maybe a niche market but if someone's asking he's probably not the only one looking for such a program), but I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong.

5. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i cant think of a way to make a desktop editable as its a viewer and not a program/application.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

The first suggestion had the only sane solution. Keep a text editor maximized. Your desktop picture can be edited but it is a graphic. It will take 20-30 minutes to color in all the dots for a letter. Pictures are in pixels (dots) not letters. If you don't like that, you could even print the text and tape it to the computer, keeping out of the way until you need it. You need to keep the solutions to the real world unless you can write your own screensaver that uses a text file as the source of the graphic.