1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set up a new forum and be the adminstrator

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by henryting, Mar 30, 2012.

1. henryting

henryting Regular member

Hi,

I want to set up a new forum and be a adminstrator myself. Can anyone kind enough to show me the way to do it step by step.

Would appreciate if you can enlighten me and show or teach me how to do it the easy or simple way.

A thousand thanks

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

hahahahahahahaha.. Hi Jack :) .. JK passed 5 years last August ;)

Also pt up my archived site eventually .. http://www.gender-spectrum-uk.tk/gsuk-forum/

coming soon.. TransPanthers worldwide full site..

Paula, your friendly neighbourhood site admin :)

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

5 years, god it's been a long time! Did you pick up my drop-by on IRC the other day? Either way I hope all's well.

5. henryting

henryting Regular member

Hi Ripper,

Do I really need to have a server in order to set up a forum?

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well not necessarily your own individual server, but some sort of hosting yes.

7. henryting

henryting Regular member

Ripper,

Can you show me how to have my own server that is some sort of hosting.

Appreciated.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

You need to do some of your own background reading, but it is relatively straightforward.

I suggest you register for a free hosting account at x10hosting; they provide auto-install scripts, including several forum softwares, and you can go from there.

9. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

x10 are wankers.. sorry they just are.. bloody place is down more often than it's up and they demand all kinds of crap.. I found a fantastic free host who ask nothing except the odd plug, but setting up a webserver at home is dead easy.. Just look up LAMP stack.. and then do whatever you want with it..

SERIOUS ADVICE.. 90% of the internet runs on linux.. so forget windows junk.. it's NOT used by most people for a very good reason.. hacked to bits in minutes usually, and everything is normally payware rubbish..

Time to get learning... there is only ONE way to learn this stuff.. and it's by doig it yourself and reading the instructions.. No fancy computer needed for a webserver.. p3 128 ram will cope, 256 better for mysql.. My site was run live up and online on a home server for 8 months on a Cyrix p2-233 with 256 ram and a pair of 10 gig hdd's left over from xbox modding days. Jack made the site banner (and still knows the domain password if I remember right.. again I have forgotten it!!)

If you want a simple way to get started with the basics then I have a fully set up forum on a "one size fits all" hosting.. take a look.. http://www.juliaskitchen.co.nr .. you don't see many phpbb2 sites any more ;)

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Completely missed your reply P, sorry!

You're right about x10 lately though (I hadn't used it in a while but have since and it's been terrible). It's a shame because they had something good going.

I still remember the domain login info for the .co.nr registration site, if you want it? Let me know.