1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set up portforwarding through a wireless router?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by arthur44, Aug 8, 2007.

1. arthur44

arthur44 Member

Equipment Used:

Netcomm NB5
    Netgear WGR614v7 (wireless)

Before I set up the wireless router I was able to connect through Bitcomet and get maximum speeds (up to 51.2kbps) with no problems at all.

Curiously I was unable to get speeds higher than 6 or 7 kbps using pretty much any other client ie Utorrent, Azureus etc.

Still when one client works for you why bother trying to work out why the others don't!

After installing the Netgear wireless router I found that Bitcomet would hardly connect at all and when it did it would only download at a few kbps.

Again, curiously the other clients, Utorrent etc, now did work but never ever reached speeds above 25kbps.

I tried going to portforward.com and seeing about setting up a static ip etc but the only success I had was getting Bitcomet to now also download at 25kbps.

I am pretty sure it will be a matter of checking or unchecking one stupid box to regain the speed I once had but still I would love some advice on this matter.

For example do I set up portforwarding on the netcomm or the netgear or both?

Is this straight forward?

At one point in the portforwarding guide it mentions systematically disabling the network connections in "Control panel/network connections" to see which connection to further manipulate.

When I did this it seemed that the only connection which would cause the browser to not connect to the internet was the wireless connection.

Does this mean this is the only connection to do a portforward on?

Thanks for your time.

2. arthur44

arthur44 Member

Some more information which may or may not be relevant:

When I go into the "command" option and type: ipconfig/all it only brings up the statistics for the wireless router and not the NetComm.

It lists the IP address as: 10.0.0.2 but when I go into the menu of the router through www.routerlogin.com it gives the IP address as: 192.168.1.100

If 10.0.0.2 is the IP address then why does portforward.com ask you to fill in the last 3 digits of the address which begins with: 192.168.1.XXX

Does the fact that I am using Open Dns settings: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 have any bearing on anything?

When I go into www.routerlogin.com and check the status of the wireless router it gives the model number as WGR614v7 but when I do the ipconfig/all thing in command it gives the model number as WG511v2. Could that mean anything?

By the way I have made an exception for Bitcomet in Windows XP Firewall already and with no discernable effect.

Thanks.

3. arthur44

arthur44 Member

Ok so I have learnt to include everything in the one post (a little late)

I just now discovered that when I try and download ANYTHING from the internet it never reaches speeds above 26kbps.

I should mention that my laptop is configured wirelessly and the speed for general browsing is really excellent. Its just the download speed which seems to have been capped to around 26kbps for some reason.

Help!!