1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Tell? Fake, Altered, Real?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Casshern, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Casshern

Casshern Member

Got a few PS2 Game ISOs on the comp. Wondering how I can confirm (Without making coasters) if they are in fact the actual game - not some altered or completely different game..? Im thinking the ISO size is a start - but is there a site/post where I can confirm the correct size? Also using UltraISO to check contents. The ISOs appear to have a PS2 based file system. Anyone got any other ideas?.. Any help would be awesome.

2. Dix_Fix

Dix_Fix Regular member

At less than $2 per -R DVDs so what if U burn a coaster. I feel your pain, this has happened to me many times. The only way I know of is suck it & see.The other alternative ( for backing up CD/DVD which I own of corse) is to go hire the DVD game from the video store for $4 or $5 & burn that. U know it is a good one then.

3. pretense

pretense Regular member

Not a problem. Just get some virtual drive (like Alcohol 120% or Daemontools) and mount your image file. You can also use any ISO program like WinISO or ISObuster. Look inside your image and there should be a volume file which generally looks like SLUS_XXX.XX (or SCUS*, for first-party Sony games). This will ID which game it is; just google up the ID (without the period and underscore) and you're good to go! For instance, googling "SLUS 21126" will give you this page: www.us.playstation.com/games.aspx?id=SLUS-21126 -- which tells you that the game is NBA Street vol 3.

As for the size of the game, don't worry about it. It's true that standard 1:1 backups have official TOC (table of contents) sizes which are listed on various sites, but rebuilding or patching the image will change the file size. And at 30 cents per DVD nowadays, you can afford to "experiment" a little.

I don't think you're allowed to discuss illegal downloads here, though, so a word of warning.

*Incidentally, SCUS stands for Sony Computer United States, and SLUS stands for Sony Licensee United States. If you're in Europe, it'll be SLES/SCES; SLPS for Japan.

4. maclean

maclean Member

Just buy a re-writable DVD ;) Then, just use that for checking if they are real or not and blank it after..

5. Dix_Fix

Dix_Fix Regular member

maclean the DVD RW sounds like a good idea but the price . U could burn a lot of -R coasters before using the cost of 1 DVD RW
    Vini vidi vici