1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to tell the difference liteon drive and benq drive.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by johncchc, Aug 2, 2008.

1. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

okay so i know benq drive u can hack it and lite on drive you cant. is there a picture that i can see which i can determine which is which. because so far, both look alike. other people recommend me to take apart my xbox 360 and look at it from that way but i dont know how to take apart my xbox 360. so if any of u guys could post a pictures that tell me which is benq and which is lite on. i would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. homesick

homesick Regular member

i think there is a way to look through and see a certain color wire, but i have never heard of a confirmation that that works. just take it apart man, you wont hurt anything and it takes roughly 20 mins the first time maybe 30 if you are a total n00b. just make sure you heat up the warranty sticker ans peel it off and stick it to some wax paper. that way the guy who was going to mod your box dosnt screw that part of it up for you. if you do it yourself at least you know you did it right. i very rarely trust someone else working on my equipment. as for the drive, once you've opened the case it says what it is.

4. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

i dont think u understad what i said. i think is there a way i can tell if it's lite on or benq without dismantling my xbox 360.. of course i know u will know what drive it wil be if u take it apart man. u not answering my question.

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

6. homesick

homesick Regular member

I SAID THERE IS A WAY TO LOOK THROUGH A HOLE IN YOUR XBOX TO SEE A CERTAIN COLOR WIRE, THAT COLOR DETERMINES WHAT DRIVE YOU HAVE.

7. xdragoon

xdragoon Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  8. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

what holes in the xbox 360.. can u send me a picture in terms of which hole to look at. because there are alot of holes on the xbox 360.. please be more specific. thank you

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Look go to this site http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/manual_eject_xbox_360_dvd.htm and this is how you tell if you have a Benq drive or Lite-On.If you see white wire then it is a Benq drive if it is yellow then its a Lite-On drive.I listed another site as well,but it doesn't show really good pictures like this one does.

10. xdragoon

xdragoon Member

this thread deserves a sticky

11. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

thank you so much for the pictures.. but i have to face the fact that when i use the flashlight and look at it, i see two yellow wires.. i had a feeling it's lite on, but i was kinda in denial because i crossed my fingers and wished it was white. thanks anyway.

12. xinh

xinh Member

can't you go and return it?

13. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

no, ths xbox 360 i didnt buy it from some retailer store, I had it a while ago and the drive used to be samsung but then i had the ring of death and had to ship to microsoft. they fixed my xbox 360 but at the same time changed my dvd drive..

14. jewdaddy

jewdaddy Member

This seems a little risky to me. I don't know if I like the idea of jamming a paperclip into my 360. Isn't there another way? I actually don't mind taking mine apart I just don't want to void my warranty in case it's a lite-on. Is there a way to gently heat the sticker off?

15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

You don't jam a paperclip in the drive to check to see if its a Lite-On its all visual.The only thing you do is take the faceplate off,and use a flashlight or some source of light.I'm not sure I follow you on the paperclip unless you have to manually eject the drive.Read what it says off the site before doing anything it clearly says look at #3 in the picture off the site to find what type of drive you have,not #1 or #2 in the picture.

16. jewdaddy

jewdaddy Member

you're right, i missed that. I thought the paperclip was meant to move stuff out of the way to see the wires, my bad. I'm assuming this is the definitive method of doing this, i mean it would be kinda weird for there to be white wires only in random Benqs.

17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah its pretty good in terms of identifying the Lite-On drives and I haven't seen it fail yet.I feel sorry for johncchc for getting one of these drives,but I don't think it is hack proof.I'm sure something will come out in due time for the Lite-On drives.I have been checking out the discussion on xbox-scene for awhile now about these drives.A couple people said c4ever has said its going to be hacked and I'm anxious to see what he has found.I really do think a hack will exist,but I'm not actually sure what type of hack it will be.I think it will be complicated for regular users though,almost as bad as the Hitachi 79 drives when it needed a chip to enable the debug mode for read/write functions.The Hitachi 79 drives have just got over using chips after looking at the 79 unlock tool,so this drive has got a ways to go before anything easy comes out for it.I hope it doesn't take long to figure out,but the fact is it could be awhile.

18. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

one question stil remains in my head. if i buy a samsung drive one ebay and replace my lite on drive with the samsung drive i purchased on ebay.. will this work? just curious...

19. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

no, because you need the key from the liteon.

20. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah like cee43ja1 said the key is needed,but we also need the dvd id string in order to use the spoofing method as well in order to replace the drive.At the moment there is no way to read/write to the drive controller chip on the Lite-On drives.We need to be able to read the chip first in order to obtain the dvd drive key,and dvd id string.By the way I just wanted to add a pinout diagram has been displayed on xbox-scene thanks given to Team Modfreakz.

[​IMG]

21. jerzmob

jerzmob Guest

hmm on my 360 i can't tell what it is. Instead all i see is the black cover on that small opening. i tried to see if i can push it in some but nothing. it's kind of hard to explain. I do see on the pic for #3 viewing but when i look at my 360...again...all i see is black with a cover like it's preventing me from looking at the type of wire.