1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell what version firmware i have???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ak101, Mar 3, 2005.

1. ak101

ak101 Member

here's a newbie question for ya...

i just bought a new burner and was reading, on this board, about updating firmware to improve performance, fix bugs, what have you. i searched and found that for this burner (pioneer dvr-109), there is a release (1.17 i think) that just came out. how do i tell what version i have? is it a good idea to update just because? is it safe or is there a risk of downloading bad stuff and totally screwing myself? thanks....i'm trying to learn, but getting overwhelmed :)

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Firmware flashing is always at your own risk !!!

I've flashed my old Pioneer 104 so many times it's unreal [lol]. The choice is yours , as long as you trust the place/person you got f/w revision from then all should be okay.
    The new f/w for the 109 that you spoke of allows certain media [like Ritek G05] to burn faster than would be otherwise possible ... for instance x8 at x12

Persoanlly I happen to think x8 burn speed is plenty fast enough (asking for playback problems if going flat out at x12)

If you have something like Nero to burn with then you'll most likely have Nero Info Tool , that'll tell you all about any recordable drive(s) that you have installed :)

3. ak101

ak101 Member

thanks for the reply herbman. i wasn't really worried about the speed as much as bug fixes....but since i don't know who any of these people are (i just found them on some board), better to be safe and stick with what works.

another newbie quesiton....how would i go about updating it if i were to? looked like the download was just an .exe file. just download and run it and that's it, it's done?

don't have nero yet....hopefully will tonight when i get home.

thanks.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah pretty much as you explained , double click .exe & it'll flash the drive [you'll hear the drive being flashed & light on front of the drive will show while it's doing it].
    You shouldn't actually have a need to update f/w for the new pioneer 109 , but this is the site I always go to see what f/w there is available & reviews from folk that have already flashed/installed .

http://forum.rpc1.com/

edited for typos [lol]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  5. ak101

ak101 Member

thanks...i'll check it out