1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question How to undo a video that was shrink-ed with DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by Pilot, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Pilot

Pilot Newbie

Hi Guys,
    I used DVD Shrink to shrink a video from 4.2 GB to 1.5 GB but the quality is a bit poor. I would like the find out how to UNDO this process to it`s original size. THANKS

2. attar

attar Senior member

The detail that was wrung out of the video can't be put back.
    If you still had the source (4.2 GB) video it would be possible to convert that to a smaller size using a more efficient codec (mp4 etc), but not otherwise.

3. Pilot

Pilot Newbie

Thank you Attar for your quick response. Much appreciated. Regards, Pilot

4. movielover

movielover Member

Perhaps, you can try to upscale your lower resolution video to high resolution. For example, your video turned to be 1.5GB so the resolution must be very low. You can use some video converter to upscale the resolution to a higher one. But I am not sure this way can help you.
    I agree with attar. You can re-shrink your original 4.2 GB video. If you want smaller size, you can use H.265 codec to encode your video. H.265 video has the same quality as H.264 video but only half size of H.264 video.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sadly there's nothing you can do to bring it back to it's original luster beyond starting over with the original. Upscaling will only work with the quality you have and make it compatible to higher resolutions, but it won't improve it visually.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

You 'threw away' a good deal of data when you down graded your video. Up grading doesn't work. When you do that, the extra detail is just generated garbage. There is no way for the conversion software to resurrect/retrieve information you threw away. The hold true for videos and audios.

7. hogger129

hogger129 Member

I would never compress that much. I suggest compressing no more than the size of a SL-DVD. If you use "Deep Analysis" there are some tricks it can do to pull better picture quality.