1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to unlock AMD 2500 barton CPU

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by zedzed, Mar 3, 2004.

1. zedzed

zedzed Guest

Hello,

I thought that I would try to get faster ripping and recoding on the computer by overclocking.

I have an AMD 2500+ barton CPU
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo (rev 1.01)
    2x516meg Corsair DDR 3200 value-ram

The CPU is locked but supposedly you can change the FSB from 166 to 200 MHz and so the CPU would work like an AMD 3200

The system boots up and goes to win XP

I then start Pinnacle Instant Copy to do the recode and within 10 seconds the system hangs.

Has anyone been successful with O/Cing a setup like mine?

Any help would be appreciated

Zed

2. drchips

drchips Active member

If you are O/C'ing a system, you need to ensure the following:

1 - ALL your components are of the highest quality & spec (remember, everything works in concert within your pc, "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link")
    2 - Cooling the CPU: over-rate your cooling by more than you estimate, stock cooling is a serious no-no when O/C'ing
    3 - Cooling the M/B Chipset: this is almost a must-do, lots of M/B's have chipset cooling on them that is adequate for stock speeds but not good enough for O/C'ing
    4 - Cooling the RAM: try and arrange for increased airflow over and around the RAM, O/C'ing can increase RAM temeratures considerably
    5 - O/C in SMALL steps, testing thoroughly as you go until you find the point of instability, then back it off a step (a super-fast machine that crashes/corrupts data/is not reliable is useless)

What will you REALLY be saving by O/C'ing?

Have Fun...

3. erichm

erichm Guest

How old is this cpu? The newer Bartons are locked but there are plenty of unlocked ones around.

As for the Front side bus, It doesn't matter if your cpu is locked (the multiplier) you can still adjust the fsb, your just going too fast. Its pretty cool that it boots though.

If I were you I would go through the memory latency timeings and see if I could get it stable at 3200 speed. You can also add extra voltage to the ram.

Try putting the fsb at 175 and see if that gives you the added stability.

4. Wise

Wise Member

Spring 2004 issue of PC Modder magazine on the stands now give a description of unlocking AMD Barton CPU's. Device used is available at www.speed-strip.com .

5. c7015

c7015 Regular member

also make sure that you test your pc as you are overclocking it even if it seems stable there are problmes that can so do a memtest #5 or do a super pi and make sure it dosent make errors

you said you did video encoding when I overcloked my amd 64 3200+ past a certain foint I got fragmentation and skipping so be carful of that as well

a great site for overclockign amd's is
    http://forums.amdmb.com/
    and a good one for overclocking is
    http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

and as always a great site for almost everything is toms hardware guide

but start of slow you dont want to kill the pc

6. Salwa

Salwa Newbie

I could probably google this question, but since I see there's a new form here on aD, I'll just do the lazy thing and ask here.