1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to update firmware on JAP wii

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by mcmark, Jun 20, 2007.

1. mcmark

mcmark Guest

Hi guys, i have just bought a Jap Wii fitted with the Wiikey. Now as i dont understand japanese i was wondering if there is some sort of download to burn on DVD with the latest firmware updates on so that i dont brick my wii by playing different region game with a different firmware version. If someone can help me out by giving me some advice then that would be great.

2. grkblood

grkblood Regular member

why did u buy a japanese wii if you don't understand japanese.

3. mcmark

mcmark Guest

it was intended to sell on but the buyer dropped out so i keeping it. Is there any way i can update it without having to go in the menu settings. its on V2.0

I know that the recent update is V2.2

4. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Well, you can upgrade it via the wireless internet connection in the wii itself. There is no way you can find the update on the internet. I semi-bricked my wii, and I already did it myself to see if there is any update I could download and burn to the disc. For ur information, the answer is NO.

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Try getting 1 of the 2 games below I think they either have 2.1J or 2.2J firmware.

I am not sure which firmware they have but you can always try 1 or both and see what firmware you end up with.

Other then that update it through the Wii settings.

It should be page 3 in the Wii settings the 3rd Option Down.

@Jinkazuya

What game disc semi-bricked your Wii?

If it is an NTSC(U) Wii and you bricked it with PAL Mario Strikers you can unbrick the Wii settings by running Big Brain Academy on your wii and except the update prompt. It will upgrade back to 2.2U unbricking your Wii Settings.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  6. mcmark

mcmark Guest

You didnt post the games. the only problem guys with doing it through the wii settings is that it is in japanese and im hopeless with japanese. So basically i either need to learn japanese or buy a JAP region game with latest firmware on?

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Sorry the 2 games are...

Pokemon Battle Revolution
    Wii de Yawaraka Atama Juku

Make sure they are Japanese games.

As to updating via WiFi you should be able to correctly update by fowling these steps.

Select the Wii Symbol at the bottom left hand corner.

Select the Wii Settings (The Wii settings is the box that is on the right hand side of the screen)

Now select the arrow icon pointing to the right of the screen 2 times which will bring you to the 3rd page of the Wii Settings menu.

Now select the 3rd option down starting from the top of the screen.

It then will ask if you want to connect to the Internet. (there will be 2 buttons at the bottom of the screen. You will select the one on the left which means YES and it should then update to newest firmware)

You shouldn't need to understand the Language just follow the steps above and you should be fine.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  8. siewolves

siewolves Member

hi mate this should help you out
    sheylara.com/wii/wii_system_settings_translation_v1.0.pdf

9. EnmityX

EnmityX Member

wow i almost crapped my pants!

I had 2.0J on my jap wii and I inserted a japanese pokemon battle revolution in an attempt to upgrade the firmware to either 2.1 J or 2.2 J as you stated

after the update finished, i went to settings and got a stupid black screen for like forever

i had to reboot my wii (then thankfully the settings worked) but it still displays 2.0 J in settings

what just happened?

10. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

mine is with 2.2J firmware update and Big Brain Academy is 2.2U Hence I thought there wouldn't be a problem when updating cuz I was already on 2.2J. Unfortunately, after the update, my wii just got semi-bricked. Damn! Mine is the Japanese Wii.