1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to update firmware

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Wonga, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Wonga

Wonga Member

Hi do any of you know how to update the firmware for my LG8160B DVD Writer. I've never updated firmware on anything before and want to know how to start. I've downloaded the correct firmware update but just need to know how to put it on my DVD drive.

The drive itself works fine but has trouble with the Ritek G05 dye, all it can do is burn coasters with this media, hense I'm updating the firmware from A300 to the new A304.

Thought I'd ask for advice before I break anything. Its in an external enclosure connected to my PC by USB 2.0 if this makes a difference. I'm guessing its not just a case of double clicking on the firmware file that I downloaded.

Thanks guys.

2. Wonga

Wonga Member

Hi don't worry, I worked it out. When I double clicked it, it unzipped it to a folder on my desktop. I just ran it from there and it was fine.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Well fine. Just go ahead and fix your problem before I get a chance to help ;P

Glad things worked out for you :)

4. ckfried

ckfried Member

Do you mind reiterating the solution for those of us new to firmware-updating?

5. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Does anyone know how to update the firmware on an OEM burner? I ask this question because I recently purchased a NEC3520A from NewEgg and it is an OEM vs retail. I went to the firmware site listed in the forum and it doesn't list an update being available. The burner works fine, but I was reading an article at lunch and it stated that one of the drawbacks to purchasing OEM vs retail is that the firmware cannot be updated. Guess it can if you pay the extra $$$ and get retail. Not sure I will ever need to update, but just curious.

Tom

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My 3 108s are OEM drives, they all get firmware updates. What you read at lunch, I suspect, is not totally true!!

Pulsar

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  7. Nephilim

8. Nephilim

Just checked the link and there aren't any updates for the 3520A yet but it's a good site to bookmark anyway :)

9. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Thanks for the info -- it's why I keep coming here. I had also noted that no firmware was available, but the article piqued my curiosity. I am really pleased with the 3520A.

10. Nephilim

Though I've never used an NEC I've noticed they have quite a devoted following. Glad you like yours :)

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here's another great site I have bookmarked: http://www.americal.com/pg/dvd-burn... updates&OVKEY=firmware update&OVMTC=standard

Notice on the listing for benq 1620. They have bulk units and retail units with different firmware. I've still got the B7-C9 in my main pc and B7-L9 in my spare pc. There is a difference between retail and bulk,so if I had to update-I'd guess I'd have to go with the bulk firmware.Since I burn at 99% success,I will delay on the latest update. If it ain't broke,don't fix it? Very good burners for $50.

Nec 3520A: A great burner. Not very many issues posted here at AD on them. Also great prices for these under $60.