1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to upgrade a 10gb PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mossfan18, Apr 29, 2007.

1. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I just have an old PC I'm giving to my sister. It's a Dell Optiplex GX150 with Windows 2000 installed.

Other Specs include:
    Intel Pentium III 900MHz
    128 MB of RAM Installed
    Two (2) DIMM slots
    10GB IDE Hard Drive

I want to upgrade it as it is obviously outdated and slow. I plan to upgrade the RAM memory by installing a 256 MB memory module in it and installing XP as well.

These thing I know how to do.

My question is the hard drive : How do I upgrade the 10gb hard drive?

2. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

buy another bigger capacity hard drive.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you're going to hate XP with such a slow processor. either get linux, or do a full motherboard-processor-ram replacement as well as replacing the hard drive.

actually, just start saving and build a new pc. to bring that one up to spec will cost just as much.

4. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

900mhz is alright as long as it has the ram for it

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

XP will run on it, but it will move like Pope John Paul in a footrace.

6. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

with 128meg of ram than yes it is slow but with hopefully 384meg than will move faster. i normally don't load xp below 500mhz

7. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

Hmmmm... That's a thinker! Give me your opinion. The PC is going to my sister. She doesn't burn DVD's & she's not a gamer either. Basically she's gonna use a PC for Internet, E-mail, Myspace & checking her bank account online. At the most she'll burn a CD sometimes. Very basic stuff!

I have $190.00 total in the entire PC including a 256MB memory module I bought to upgrade her RAM from 128MB to 512MB which is the max it could handle.

That said, what else should I do? Should I forget about XP just keep 2000 on it? What else would you do if anything?

Thanks to all you guys responding so fast! Afterdawn is awesome!

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, if you've maxed out with the most of the fastest possible ram, and the motherboard isn't capable of using a faster processor, and you don't want to do a full rebuild, then you're pretty much peaked. i wouldn't install windows anything; Damn Small Linux, or Mandriva, or some other easy-to-use, light resource OS would work much better on that system and give you complete functionality with improved reliability and security.

9. vegeta66

vegeta66 Guest

ffg7's right win xp will run fine with 900mhz, rams the main problem you'll need 320mb's minimum(if your using onboard video), but i'd suggest just staying with win2k its very similar to xp but alot less resource hungry, its not worth putting to much cash into this computer as it is very old
    you could buy 256mb's ram and a cheap 40-80gb hdd for about $80+/-
    but i agree with Auslander use linux

10. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Well I agree with the all the previous posts. But you got to remember folks not everyone has the know how to deal with linux. His sister may already be used to.....'gasp'....windoze. mossfan18 considering the age of the machine go the least expensive route possible if using windows. If you spend any money do it on the hard rive as you can use it in a new build later. Just my .02. good luck

11. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I took the multiple advice and am staying with win2k as there is no point in going the xp route. My sis is not familiar with Linux so that is outta the question. I did order some RAM for it, 256MB worth as you advised.

You also mentioned a cheap 40-80gb hdd also. Where would be the best place to order and what brand name do you suggest?

Great advice from all you guys! Best info site on the net IMO at least.

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if you're located in the US, i'd go with newegg.com. they typically get all my pc part business.

as for drives, they're all pretty much the same, these days. seagates have a five year warranty, though.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  13. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

seagate or maybe samsung depending on it's warranty period.