1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Use a USB Thumbdrive as a Memory Card (For Softmod)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by chunkhead, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Edmundajw

Edmundajw Member

Well I read the tutorial first but not the end bit.
    Then I went through it doing it with an MP3 player(which I borrowed of my brother) and then saw he bit about not using an MP3 player.

I've read the bit about removing the driver, which I've done, so now the MP3 player shows up in 'My Computer' and informs me its not formatted. I tried formatting it with Windows but it wizzes through and then tells me Windows couldn't format it.

Eddie

2. jimi20

jimi20 Guest

Seriously, the best option is do as i did, i went on to Amazon, i bought a 1gb Data Traveller for a couple of pounds and a USB to Xbox cable of ebay also for a couple of quid, after that follow the WHOLE tutorial to the letter and you cant go wrong.

3. sergueiX

sergueiX Member

Hi,
    i have tried to follow your instruction and stuck on the stage of recording data on USB using ActionReplay

I have tried 3 different USB sticks, 2 of them has been recognized and formatted by XBOX. I have tried to follow all instructions and when I get to the point when I should record data on a USB stick I was initially confused by: should I unzip data form Splinter Cell zip file or not?
    I have tried to drug unzipped folder but have got a message that this files are not compatible with Action Replay savegames(or some similar message), when I have tried to drag zipped file I have got message that it has failed to copy. When I checked the usb stick it says that some of the blocks are not free. If I connect it to XBOX it can see some folder but with no useful data on it.

Another memory stick does ot show white Memcard message in Action Replay and I cold not record anything on it(of course I have changed ifo file and reinstalled usb drivers for this usb-card).
    Are there any more details that I missed?

4. sergueiX

sergueiX Member

OK I have got some progress.
    I finally understood that it is vital to copy files from your desktop and copy them zipped. When I did this I after several seconds I saw error message and after that is says that it fails to enumerate it.
    Does somebody have got idea what that means?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  5. 5150VH

5150VH Member

Hi, just wanted to thank you for this tut, so far its helped a lot. Just thought id add a few things that might help. Instead of wasting money on getting Action Replay or a usb cable of any kind, I got one of my old controls that my brothers destroyed, chopped the cable off, and soldered a usb cable with a female end onto it. I used a shitty 10 dollar MTV brand 256 meg usb drive, and it all worked perfectly. Again thanks for all this info, and I hope this helps someone in some way.

6. jimi20

jimi20 Guest

nothing new here dude, it's something that has been well known and well mentioned all over the modding community, but thanks for posting anyway :)

It's just some of us are either A)Bone idle, B) technically challenged and looking for the easy way out (me) :p

7. 5150VH

5150VH Member

Yeah, the usb cable things been around for a while, but I was more surprised at the MTV thumb drive actually working. I just thought id share that one for the usb drive compat list.

8. SuperKail

SuperKail Member

Hey.I wanted to ask.Do i really need that A USB to Xbox connector.I dont have 1 and i dont know if its needed.Plz say that i can softmod with memory card without this cable ^_^.

9. 5150VH

5150VH Member

Yeah, you can do it without a usb to xbox cable but youll need a cable to hook your xbox control up to your pc to get at the xbox mem card.

10. SuperKail

SuperKail Member

What cable you mean?XD.Can you show me pic or smth.
    And btw i have crossover cable.
    Can i do it with it :p?.I know its stupid question but just maybe i can do smth with crossover cable XD.

11. jimi20

jimi20 Guest

Yeah, as long as your sure is IS a crossover cable?

if it is then you can FTP into your XBOX and add the files that way, have a look around, use the forums search function of failing that do a Google search, i was going to find something for you but it seemed pointless given the amount of effort that really isn't involved as they are literally all over the web

12. SuperKail

SuperKail Member

What ya mean.i though crossover can be used only with softmodded xbox XD.

13. jimi20

jimi20 Guest

14. SuperKail

SuperKail Member

Yes i know what it is.But in other tutorial it said that i can use crossover only with ALREADY softmodded xbox.

15. jimi20

jimi20 Guest

oooh in that sense it's possibly true, but to my mind that principle is like saying you can only connect to XBL with a modded box... the crossover should let you FTP anyway,

but just to make it simple, the only way to mod it is either:

A)Softmod, using xbox memory card/usb drive hack
    B)Hotswap

16. SuperKail

SuperKail Member

Well anyways.Can anyone say if i have to use exacylt this USB to xbox connector or i can use some other

17. gawl47

gawl47 Member

A little help please, I'm having a problem getting the driver installed, the MaxDrive Xbox driver is not showing up when I try to update driver software.

This is the usbview:

Device Descriptor:
    bcdUSB: 0x0200
    bDeviceClass: 0x00
    bDeviceSubClass: 0x00
    bDeviceProtocol: 0x00
    bMaxPacketSize0: 0x40 (64)
    idVendor: 0x0457 (Silicon Integrated Systems Corp.)
    idProduct: 0x0151
    bcdDevice: 0x0100
    iManufacturer: 0x00
    iProduct: 0x02
    iSerialNumber: 0x03
    bNumConfigurations: 0x01

ConnectionStatus: DeviceConnected
    Current Config Value: 0x01
    Device Bus Speed: Full
    Device Address: 0x01
    Open Pipes: 3

Endpoint Descriptor:
    bEndpointAddress: 0x01
    Transfer Type: Bulk
    wMaxPacketSize: 0x0200 (512)
    bInterval: 0x01

Endpoint Descriptor:
    bEndpointAddress: 0x82
    Transfer Type: Bulk
    wMaxPacketSize: 0x0200 (512)
    bInterval: 0x01

Endpoint Descriptor:
    bEndpointAddress: 0x83
    Transfer Type: Interrupt
    wMaxPacketSize: 0x0040 (64)
    bInterval: 0x08

and this is the 'xbreader.inf' after I altered it:

[_Devices]

%S_DeviceDesc1%=_Install1, USB\VID_0457&PID_0151
    %S_DeviceDesc1%=_Install1, USB\VID_05FD&PID_0316
    %S_DeviceDesc1%=_Install1, USB\VID_045E&PID_0280
    %S_DeviceDesc1%=_Install1, USB\VID_045E&PID_0381
    %S_DeviceDesc1%=_Install1, USB\VID_0738&PID_4507
    %S_DeviceDesc1%=_Install1, USB\VID_040B&PID_6520
    %S_DeviceDesc1%=_Install1, USB\VID_05E3&PID_8001
    %S_DeviceDesc1%=_Install1, USB\VID_05FD&PID_9011&REV_0100
    %S_DeviceDesc1%=_Install1, USB\VID_05FD&PID_9001&REV_0100

but the only driver that's showing up when I try to update is 'USB Mass Storage Device' so what am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  18. Klaymore

Klaymore Member

hey im having problems getting the Action Replay files onto the usb. i checked the list be4 i bought the usb and it is compatible, my question, however, is how do i drag and drog from Action Replay, does it have to be from the Action Replay server window thing that pops up, or can i drag and drop from desktop? or how?

19. SuperKail

SuperKail Member

Hello.Can you help me.I got SC and a USB stick.Now the thing is to get it to work.I couldn't find cable everwhere (Xbox extension cable).So i wanna ask.Can i use this method what is on the link on the first page that tells how to do it.So can i use method: Solder an USB female connector directly to the Xbox.Plz help me.And 1 thing.If i buy an old xbox controller can i cut the cable from it???Thx guys.

20. xJPM100x

xJPM100x Guest

thank you for the guide, worked perfect...for everyone who cant get it to work, your most likely doing something wrong, took me maybe ten minutes and I was up and running...now I have a soft modded xbox...