1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Use a USB Thumbdrive as a Memory Card (For Softmod)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by chunkhead, Oct 25, 2007.

1. osuskippy

osuskippy Member

I've been trying to follow this tutorial to softmod my xbox, but am having some problems. I'm using a Kingston DataTraveler 2GB and a USB-XBOX cable I got off of ebay for about $5. I was able to follow the steps and get AR to recognize the thumb drive and copy the files over. However, when I put the drive back in the xbox, it won't let me copy the files over to the harddrive. I can see the *gamesaves* when I go to the memory section of the dashboard. But, my only option when I click on one is to delete it. Same goes if I look at one of my savegames from my xbox harddrive - just an option to delete, not to copy.

2. xJPM100x

xJPM100x Guest

try moving over to the right once and select the smaller circular gamesave, your most likely selecting the wrong one...

3. quikdeth

quikdeth Member

I have copied the corresponding PID and VID numbers to the .inf list but when i go to select MaxDrive Driver to the USB Device it doesnt show and just shows the default choice. And of course, leads to the USB Device failed to enumerate error. Any advice would be lovely cuz i just made this pimp usb / xbox chord.

4. xJPM100x

xJPM100x Guest

all I can say is you most likely missed something....uh..did you format the thumb drive in the xbox before putting it in the pc...and don't let windows format it when you do.

5. quikdeth

quikdeth Member

yeah i did all that, i eventually got it to display the driver although i'm not sure how to be quite honest it just appeared. But, now i'm stuck when i install the softmod, when it asks me to reboot w/out the cd to finish the installation i do so and it boots to a black screen, i let it sit for a while and just nothing. I've followed all the steps and there is no perm. damage done cuz i can uninstall all the files and it is restored to normal.

6. xJPM100x

xJPM100x Guest

when you boot into the soft mod menu after using the game save exploit did you choose "Install Softmod" then "Install UnleashX"?

7. quikdeth

quikdeth Member

Yup, its just really frustrating cuz it seems so much more simpler then modding the psp but i am having so many problems with this. Anyway i've applied both those actions, use dual boot from ntsc or what ever, chose unleashx, and when it says reboot w/ out cd after update i do so power off, with the small button, and bring it back up, with the small button, and just a blank screen. I'm not sure if the dash for the xbox is out of date or if that would do it but thats the only thing i can think of

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  8. xJPM100x

xJPM100x Guest

9. quikdeth

quikdeth Member

ahh that'd prolly do it i'll give it a whirl tomorrow i'm taking a break from it atm

10. pySHtr

pySHtr Member

Can anyone help a noob out(not a complete idiot)? I am doing my first softmod and have done TONS of reading and making sure I know what im doing(as I puff puff pass). I am making the DIY usb cable for the xbox> I have a standard USB cable and a Titan brand xbox controller. The usb cable has the standard red,green,black,white wires, but the controller has yellow,orange,brown,grey,green,blue,black wires. The guide says Red-red, green-green, blue-black, white-white. I dont have a white wire on the xbox side. I really want to get this done. Any hints?:)

11. Moosic

Moosic Member

Hello Guys, i'm completely new here but have been browsing the site and this topic for a while now. Been tryin to softmod using the tutorial for a while now... few different usb sticks & to be honest most havn't worked apart from one. But this is where the problem starts - i followed the intructions, ie - Put the usb in Xbox, Xbox deleted. Put back into pc, did not let windows format. Did the Vendot id and the other. Updated the xbreader then saved. Updated the driver. Saw the max drive was now in place.

That is where i got to, basically i didn't have sc classic until today but i was messing round with the new max drive usb and somehow now when i open the action replay software to drag the game saves over, there is now no max drive ie old usb showin up. I put the usb back in the xbox however and it shows there is a controller showing ?

Any ideas ??? Thanks for your time.

Moosic

12. Esjay131

Esjay131 Member

Well, i have tried my Ativa U3 512MB and it will not update to MaxDrive. I'm trying my Lexar 2GB at the moment. Also, when I find my Lexar 256MB, i'll try it and let you all know.

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I have tried a memorex Mini TD, 512MB. The XBOX went crazy, didn't like it.
    Tried a 2GB A-Data, the XBOX formated it,saved stuff to it. Updated the driver, all god but the AR would not see it.

SanDisk Micro Cruzer, 1GB worked flawlessly. Is about $14 at Office Max.

14. Esjay131

Esjay131 Member

well, i think i will go buy one them, because my lexar jd firefly 2GB didnt work. Kept saying that the file didnt contain info about the hardware

15. Esjay131

Esjay131 Member

im about to try using an SD card with SD card reader. if my mother-in-law finds my lexar 512mb, then ill try that. anyone have any info about using SD cards and lexar 512mb?

16. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

No, not a SD card, you can give it a try. I tried an xD card, 1 GB and 16Mb. I fried the 1GB card, tossed it in the bin! Then I went to Office Max.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  17. Esjay131

Esjay131 Member

i just tried the sd card, and the xbox cant even read it or format it. it just said that it my be damaged and something else, but the sd card still works, thankfully. also, cyprus, thanks for the info on the sandisk. im not going to try my zen V 1gb. i dont want it to brick.

18. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I see there are a few versions of that flash drive. I don't know if it is any difference between them (A10,A11, P35..), but this is the one I got at Office Max, the SDCZ6-1024-A11:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=1919

On the package, the SDCZ6-1024-A11 is written above the bar code.
    Good luck.

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Glad to see this thread is still alive and kicking!

I have added the new 'Working\Not Workling' drives to the list, thanks heaps for the feedback!

;)

20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Many thanks to you Sir, for awesome guidance on these threads! I am a happy XBMC user now!