1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use EP Mode on DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sbdean, Jan 12, 2005.

1. sbdean

sbdean Member

I am having trouble getting the endings on movies 2 hours or longer on 4.7gb's. Isn't there a way to burn in extended play. The dvd's I am using say it can burn up to 6 hours in extended play..Just don't know how to do it. Been looking and looking...if someone has any ideas please get back to me.

Thanks a million.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

DVDs aren't like video tapes where there are specific time restrictions based on a simple setting (ie 2/4/6 hours). How much you can fit on a single disc is determined by the amount of compression applied to the video and the type of compression and bitrate used for the audio. For audio the best compression to use is AC3, but MPA will also give you good compression (NTSC players aren't required to support MPA). For video you need to use an appropriate bitrate, and possibly encode the video at a lower resolution. For NTSC the valid resolutions are 720x480 (used on most DVDs), 704x480, 352x480, and 352x240. For PAL they're 720x576, 704x576, 352x576, and 352x240.

3. elliott

elliott Regular member

try re-authoring the disc with dvd shrink remove alternate languages and any other material you feel you can live without. that works for me.