1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use (re-use) DVD+RW?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Ray21, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Ray21

Ray21 Member

I wanted to store some files onto some DVD+RW's so i can free up some space on my harddrive. I assume that i would burn the data files on to the DVD like i would w/ a normal DVD+R. How would i go about re-writing a DVD+RW (say w/ a program like nero)? I never even used CD-RW's before so i don't have much experience with this stuff.

If anyone can help me it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Some burn programs (e.g. Nero) would recognize that the RW is not empty, and would offer to erase the data for you during the burning process. Other programs might refuse to work with a non-empty RW. In that case, you'll have to erase or reformat it first.
    BTW, also note that RWs are generally less stable and you might not want to use them for permanent storage purpose.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You can also write data in multisession format on a DVD R or CD R with Nero. With multisession you can always add more files to the same disc at any time until the disc is full. You just can't erase the R discs for reuse. You can delete a file from the disc which will keep it from showing on your list but its really still on the disc. I use CD-Rs for data transfer between work and home all the time this way. Very cost effective. When one gets full, I transfer the files I want to keep to another disc and destroy the old disc.

Jerry

4. brobear

brobear Guest

DVDInfoPro (freeware) is an easy little utility that includes an erasing function (doesn't work on all drives) and a formating tool that does a quick or full format. There is a line of icons at the top of the DVDInfoPro window. Scrolling the cursor over an Icon and leaving it over it opens a box to describe the function of the icon when clicked (selected). The disc with the pencils are the ones for these functions. If I remember correctly the disc with the pencil to the left is the one that does the formatting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

InCd is a program that will format your DVD RW disc to work like a mini hard drive. If you have a full version of nero, you can download this for free on their website.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

A lot of people including myself and certain software support groups suggest that InCD not be installed on a PC that is going to be used for DVD recording. Packet writing software tries to connect with the recorder even when the burner is in use by another program. InCD is packet writing ware and has been known to cause problems. Problems may not occur on all PCs, but it has on enough that the suggestion is a good rule of thumb. Anyone wanting to keep InCD needs to delete that app first if they start having problems. As I said, it's just one of those apps that can't be trusted.