1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to use swap magic

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Tim_vaj, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Tim_vaj

Tim_vaj Guest

yo i heard u can use swap magic in stead of a mod chip. so which one is better swap magic or a mod chip. Plus i saw a video clip that shows a slider that can pull out the swap disc after u use it and u r done using the swap disk. but my main question is that they removed a part of that ps2 drive so that they can use the swap slider to pull it out and how do u do that.

2. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Well swap magic is easier to use, it's cheaper, and not as dangerous as a modchip. It also dosen't void warrenties. But a modchip has better compatibillity and much more features. It's your decision.

3. Tim_vaj

Tim_vaj Guest

yea but i got 1 last question about the mod chip and the swap disc. What can a mod chip do that a swap disc cant do and which 1 will u recommened me 2 use

4. Jamaal10

Jamaal10 Regular member

A high-end mod chip can play DVD9's, auto patch the DNAS, force PAL to NTSC and vice-versa.....as opposed to Swap Magic, which will only boot DVD5's and has problems with games from different regions.

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

It depends what you're looking for as Swap Magic is a cheap alternative of booting your backup and import games. For 30 dollars, I didn't expect the task to be hand given honestly nor easy for that matter and simply wanted to play my import games with an easy alternative, and plus, playing backups of your originals without ruining the condition of your store-bought games is a real bonus to me if you play games with a lot of value like Disgaea and any other Nippon Ichi SPRG game, Star Ocean 3, Valkyrie Profile and Tales of Destiny. If you really will be playing a lot of different games, then the convenience a mod-chip can provide you is quite astronomical compared to rebuilding games, downsizing certain files or dummying some files needed for specific games when trying to boot the particular game with Swap Magic. The investment may be a bit much for a mod-chip depending on your budget but it can easily pay off dividends later if you're really impatient with a 15 second delay before you can play your backed up games.

EDIT: It's really up to you what you want but a mod-chip I would highly recommend since you can automatically boot your games straight up without a delay compared to using Swap Magic. I have Swap Magic for my slim PS2 and will be someday in the future salvaging my old fat PS2. The difference in costs between a mod-chip and Swap Magic isn't too much when you think about it. If you want to know more about the features presented in specific mod-chips, look up Tokujin's stickie in the PS2 Hardware Boot discussion for more information and specifics on mod-chips.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007