1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use the AC3 with TMPGenc !?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by TechnoCop, Aug 11, 2004.

1. TechnoCop

TechnoCop Member

Hi!

I want to convert from DivX(PAL) to DVD but i don't know how to use the AC3 in TMPGenc.

I follow the guide but i'm stuck on the AC3 part.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd_page_4.cfm

[bold]Take the paper in front of you that you used when you wrote down the fps value from AVIcodec. If the fps is 25.000fps, you should select DVD - PAL and if the fps is either 23.976 or 29.97, you should select DVD - NTSC.

If your audio was something other than AC3, you should select the audio here. We recommend that you use CBR - MPEG-1 Layer II Audio (MP2) as it takes less space than PCM and is more suitable for DVD. If your audio was in AC3 format, you can ignore this selection and choose whatever you like.

After you've done the selections, click Next.[/bold]

Where is the option for the AC3 file??? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi TC,
    wish I could help you but this forum is for encoding with DivX.
    You are having AC3 trouble making DVD with TMPGenc, that sounds like the guys in VCD/SVCD might be able to help :)
    Good luck

3. TechnoCop

TechnoCop Member

Ok thanks! :)

4. bigdog731

bigdog731 Guest

Use the ac3 in author when the tmpgenc mpg doesn't have sound. I've also got a useable mpg-sound using mpg tools in tmpgens. In your authoring program pick the mpg for video and the ac3 for audio.

5. TechnoCop

TechnoCop Member

I would like to burn the movie on a DVD-R. What is the best format? VCD, SVCD or DVD?

6. bigdog731

bigdog731 Guest

Use DVD. I burn mine to a DVD-RW 1st so that I make sure it works then reburn to a DVD-R.

7. mistrix

mistrix Member

Or indeed, someone that is reading this thread that has the knowledge to help, helps. Alien possibly?

So rather than redirect you elsewhere with a rather odd response here is mine.

Firstly, download a decent AC3 decoder, although if you wish to encode AC3 audio too then the only version that will do 2ch AC3 that I know of is the one that Pegasys sells as a plugin to TMPGEnc 3 and DVD Author.

If all you want to do is decode the audio stream in TMPGEnc so you can convert it to Mpeg2 for DVD's then any of the free AC3 decoders will do. One for instance is http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/index.html

Once that is installed all should be well in the world. There are a couple around but this one has worked for me.

As a side note, I make sure the AVI is in a high as possible res and then use the Project Wizard in TMPGEnc to make a PAL DvD and supply the AVI as the source. It then makes two files, a.m2v and a.wav.
    I then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to create a DVD, add the m2v as the track source, it automatically finds the audio source. Then create a menu (or not) and create the VIDEO_TS output. I then use CloneDVD to write that to disc.

I have not had a disc fail due to process failure, I have had crap media however.

Hope that helps.

M.

8. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

9. MaxTK

MaxTK Member

How do you install the AC3ACM decoder mentioned above? After unzipping I have 2 .txt files, one .inf file and an .ACM file. The inf files says to right click this file (which file?) and choose install. Windows doesn't recognize the .ACM file and right clicking the information and text files brings up only open, cut, copy, and delete choices.

10. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

that quote is taken directly from the ac-3 acm decompressor readme. when in doubt take a look at the read-me file, that usually solves the problem ;\

11. MaxTK

MaxTK Member

The install directions are in the .inf file not the readme. The readme is history and credits. So, obviously I did read the install directions. As I said above, when you right click the .inf file "install is [bold]not[/bold] one of the options. Open, cut, copy, and delete are the only choices. When you click open you get the install text.

12. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

no the instructions to install are in both the readme and .inf files.

anyways, either youve got a corrupt download of ac3acm decompressor or ur just not looking hard enuff. when you right click on the ac3acm.inf file the install option is directly beneath Open, followed by 'Print' and 'Open With...'. i just redownloaded it then to double check, if you still cant see 'install', just redownload it again, there may be a corruption, but i doubt it ;/.