1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Well Do ModChips ACTUALLY Work???

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by djscatter, Mar 8, 2005.

1. djscatter

djscatter Guest

I am looking into getting a mod chip for my ps2 so that it will play my backed up games.

My questions are: Do Mod Chips work as well as most people claim they do. Are the solderless chips easy to install and could I possibly make a horrible mistake while installing it. With a ModChip all you have to do is insert the game and it will load automatically???

Please help me, these are simply questions to which I desperately need answers to.

2. hursty

hursty Active member

i have a soldered messiah 2 modchip
    mine plays every game perfect,no messing

3. djscatter

djscatter Guest

Are the soldered chips hard to install? I haven't found one person who will actually tell me whether they are or not. All I get is "they can be tough...."

4. hursty

hursty Active member

they can be very fiddly,you have to get it right
    i wouldnt attempt it,i paid someone to do mine
    i would find an electrician to do it for you

with regards hursty

5. djscatter

djscatter Guest

Well in your opinion would a solderless be a better choice for me since I don't want to solder and I don't want to ask any of my buddies who are electricians to mess with my PS2?

6. hursty

hursty Active member

i dont know too much about solderless modchips to be honest,from the little i have read about them,they tend not to be as reliable as the soldered modchips,not to sure?
    do a litle research before you take the plunge,
    i guess if non-soldered mods were as good as soldered chips.then everyone would use them.
    i would personally go for a soldered modchip

with kind regards hursty

7. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

I'm not that good at soldering so I got a store to do it, and it runs everything fine when I just pop in the disc. However, if you're set on doing it yourself and don't want to solder at all, you might want to consider the DMS4 E.Z.I.:

http://www.dms3.com/cgi-bin/dms4ezi/site.pl?page=home

Claims 100% solderless and plays games fine, but I haven't used it so I can't vouch for it's performance.

8. hursty

hursty Active member

i have read the dms non soldered chips have encountered problems with there reliablity

with regards hursty

9. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

Oh really? Games not running, running slow, etc? Ah well, I kind of doubted their reliability too, but if he doesn't want to solder, and absolutely wants a chip, that's the only one I've heard of that doesn't need soldering. Otherwise, if he's willing to settle for non-chip, he could try SwapMagic or others.

10. djscatter

djscatter Guest

I don't want to bother with swap disc or anything like that, i have heard of numerous problems with games using that kind of system. The most reliable option is mod-chips. I guess what hurst said about solderless chips is correct, that if they worked that well then everyone would have them.

Heyyowl --- What store did you take your PS2 to in order to have the chip installed? Do a lot of places do that kind of stuff. The only places I found were online and they charge $100.00+ and thats just for installation. Any suggestions on what type of places will install mod chips?

11. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

The best place to look is in Chinese stores. I don't know your area so I can't really suggest anything, but the place I went to charged me $100 flat. That included the chip and the installation. I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, so unless you're from around here I can't really help with suggesting places. Maybe try the Chinatown in your area if you have one?

12. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

As below, works flawless. And Modbo is an a cheap alternative that works just as well. Just dont go into the config menu :p.

13. steimy

steimy Active member

I have a slim PSTwo with a DMS4 Pro chip in it and so far it has worked great, loads up back ups just like the originals. I can't solder either so i just saved up some $$$ and bought a pre-modded system instead.
    Since i already have a V7 with a flip top and Swap Magic i didn't mind waiting to get the one with the mod chip. It was $315 shipped at http://www.xmodd.com
    but it did take them 3 weeks to get it to me because they are made to order, but plenty of sites sell them so check around if you want to go that route.

14. djscatter

djscatter Guest

Uggghh,

I do appreciate the help guys, I am just gonna have to bite the bullet (so to speak) and just decide what I want a soldered or solderless chip.

Damn, I wish I knew a place around me to install it..

15. ManiacZX9

ManiacZX9 Member

Up until two weeks ago, I hadn't done any fine soldering at all.
    I've now installed three modchips, all working, but not without problems.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that installing a modchip is easy, but I also wouldn't say it's impossible.
    The solder points are very small, you need a fine tipped soldering iron, fine solder, lots of solder wick, tons of patience and a good magnification device. It took me on average three hours for each modchip from start to finish.
    The biggest problem is unknowingly bridging connections, assembling and then disassembling to find the problem.
    Once they're in though, it's all smooth as silk. Loads all backed up games without trouble, still plays originals and looks stock to the eye.
    Good luck.

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I soldered mine and it was a real pain in the ass. But that might just be me (I have shaky hands). Soldering under a microscope isn't easy, and I did bridge 2 IC legs together that I didn't realize until I put it back together (that's no picnic either) and took it apart again and looked at it under the microscope...sideways. Solder wick is not something you want to use, so try to avoid it if possible. Now I couldn't be happier:) By the way, if you do it yourself be VERY careful with the ribbon cable that connects your eject and reset buttons to the board. I ended up puncturing it with a screw. A new one's only like $7, but it took like 4 days to get it. I think it was well worth it for the $30 I paid for the chip though. If you do ship it off to get installed, shop around. I've seen differences of $100+ depending on where you go. Also make sure it's somewhere at least in your country. I got mine from Texas and I lived in Wisconsin at the time, only took like 3 days, but my friend got his from Hong Kong I think and it took like 3 weeks.

17. djscatter

djscatter Guest

i found a guy in WI who is charging me 59.99 (chip Included) but I pay S&H does that sound shady?

18. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Price sounds good. Is it just some guy or is it a company? How did you find him? Does he have a website? Has he done this before?

19. tkeep13

tkeep13 Member

I sent my ps2 to www.xmodd.com around a year ago to have a DMS3 installed. They were very fast and I have had no problems playing any backup since. It was $125 for the chip and installation. Just another option to look at, I know I was uneasy sending my PS2 away but it all worked out great.