1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How well does an HD DVD Player work on a NON hd dvd?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Tray1967, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Tray1967

Tray1967 Member

I just bought a killer 50" HDTV and the progressive scan DVD output is decent, as long as it's a widescreen version. The full screen versions that I own, tend to look a little bit stretched out but tolerable. I wondered if anyone with an HD DVD player could tell me how well the output is on a NON hd dvd? I have a collection of about 250 movies. I am addicted to HD now that I have this tv and it's all I care to watch. I wouldn't mind investing in the HD DVD player but I want to learn more before I buy!

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  3. Tray1967

Tray1967 Member

Thanks for the info! Seems to be a rather significant difference in cost between the XA2 and the A1. I neglected to mention that my new TV is a 720p not 1080i. Does that factor into the answer of which player is best suited for my television? I see Ebay has the A1 for quite a bit less than everyone else with their SRP. Actually, I'm sure the XA2 is much less as well, though still very pricy. My head spins!

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

You should have good results with a 720p set. I have the A1 in my bedroom on a 720p LCD and it looks great with upconverted DVD's. I also have the XA2 in my main setup with a 60 inch 1080p Sony SXRD. If you can get the A1 for $350 or less then I say go for it.

5. Tray1967

Tray1967 Member

Thank you!

6. partyer

partyer Guest

If i were you my next stop would be getting a set of nice speakers. Oura are onica and work great for 300 dollare. Then the p3p or 360 to play your cdc/ thatwill cut down on stace, but still leave you with a reallu nice systle.

7. partyer

partyer Guest

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\PARYY