1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would i make a back up of Halo PC?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by GetBorn5, Sep 5, 2004.

1. GetBorn5

GetBorn5 Member

How would i, hypothetically speaking, make a back up of Halo PC? Is there specific software i need? i have nero burning rom. Please give me simple newbie like instructions, thanks.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

First you'll need to identify the protection being used on the disc using A-Ray Scanner. It will most likely use for version of either SafeDisc or SecuRom.

Once you've ID'd the protection you can download the trial for either BlindWrite or Alcohol 120% (BlindWrite gets my recommendation).

Check out some of the stickys at the top of the CDR forum for different guides at backing up the two protections I mentioned then fire up whichever software you picked and play around with them a bit to get used to them. We'll be here if you have any more questions :)

A-Ray Scanner:

http://www.aray-software.com/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  3. GetBorn5

GetBorn5 Member

Were would i be able to get blindwrite, and alcohol 120%?

4. Nephilim

5. GetBorn5

GetBorn5 Member

Okay im going to use Alcohol 120% since i found a guide on afterdawn for it anyway and it seems easy. Are you positive alcohol 120% is capable of burning protected PC games? should i use A-Ray Scanner or this clone thing that a guide from afterdawn on burning protected CDs using alcohol 120% suggested?

6. Nephilim

I'm quite positive A120 can back up games, that's exactly what it's made to do. Halo should be Safedisc 2.70 which means you'll need to use the SafeDisc 2/3 profile. Go ahead and use A-Ray to verify the protection in case I'm confusing it with another game.

A consideration that needs to be taken into account is not all burners are capable of backing up PC protections. What make/model drive do you have?

7. GetBorn5

GetBorn5 Member

Okay i found out the name of the other program which detects the type of protection and its called, clonyXXL. So your saying i should use A-Ray Scanner instead of ClonyXXL? Also my DVD/CD Writer model is NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A. I hope thats right, if you think i made a mistake tell me how to properly check my model.

8. GetBorn5

GetBorn5 Member

By the way, thank you so much for giving me your suggestions and advice.

9. Nephilim

You might as well use A-Ray. It's an outstanding scanner that's updated quite regularly. ClonyXXL was a great scanner but it's no longer being updated.

Unfortunately your NEC isn't what's known as a "2-sheep" burner which means you're going to have to use this guide to back up your game :)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/36444

10. GetBorn5

GetBorn5 Member

Okay well are you positive that my burner is a 1 sheep? Also can you give me a simple but detailed guide on how to use A-ray scanner? Also i want to use DVD decrypter to help me burn movies and i how do i see if my PC has a working ASPI layer? Also does that guide you gave me for burning CDs with a 1 sheep burner using A120 work with A120 version 1.9.9 build 1705?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  11. Nephilim

Yes.

Put the play disc in your drive, open A-Ray, select the drive containing the disc from the lower drop down then hit Scan.

Use this tool:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Any further DVD related question should be posted in DVD For Newbies.

I don't see why not.

12. GetBorn5

GetBorn5 Member

Okay well that ASPI checker thing says i cant use it with windows XP and Windows Media 7.0 and such and i got both of those.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  13. Nephilim

The warning is for ASPI32.EXE, not ASPICHK.

14. GetBorn5

GetBorn5 Member

When i download the ASPI checker i save it to my hard drive and it says my ASPI is fully operational but when i dont save it to my hard drive, i instead just open it, it says its not. Also i read that guide for burning PC games for 1 sheep burners and it says to make sure auto-run is enabled, what is auto run?

15. Nephilim

I don't follow what you're trying to say here.

Autorun is the feature in Windows that automatically opens and runs a disc when you insert it. If your games automatically launch when you insert the disc then autorun is on.

16. GetBorn5

GetBorn5 Member

When i download the ASPI checker i have the option of opening it or saving it to my hard drive. When i open it (instead of changing it to my hard drive) it says that my ASPI is not operating properly, but when i do save it to my hard drive, locate it and open it, it says that my ASPI is workin properly.

17. Nephilim

You need to save it to your hard drive for it to work correctly. There should be four entries with corresponding version numbers, what are they?

You can also set Decrypter to use different interfaces by going to Tools > Settings > I/O then try using different interfaces there. Maybe one will work.