1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hows the R holding up?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Gryphus, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Gryphus

Gryphus Member

Now that everyone has been burning DVDs for a while, how are they holding up? Any discs dead already? How about physical abuse?

2. TL0

TL0 Member

If you read around the various media forums, you'll notice a pattern developing, Princo & Errors after a period of time on such discs

(ie Princo discs atleast seem to corrupt within 6months-1year with way too much regularity for any serious archival use). Fewer reports about other lesser Manufacturers. I have some near-dead Princos myself.

Best to get some discs from a quality Japanese Manufacturer (or it's Quality-controlled manufacturing partner) if data longevity matters to you.

3. nightfly

nightfly Member

Have been using princo 1x disks for almost a year now; just tried a few to see if any problems yet. I only used them for data at first, didn't make manv dvd's until late 2002. No corruption problems yet; but early recording was all at 1x until I learned that I could burn at 2x with them. HOWEVER....the princo4x disks either are crap or can't be burned at that speed. Lots of pixilation at outer edges of the 4x disks so far. Some are unplayable. But the 1x disks recorded at 2x are working just fine. I am using dvd decrypter 3.1.4.0, dvd2one 1.0, and recordnowmax 4.5 to make my disks on pioneer ao4 and ao5 burners. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's on a p3 1gig or p4 1.8 system.