1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HowTo: Copy a (previously burned) DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by IanEmdee, Jan 24, 2005.

1. IanEmdee

IanEmdee Member

I have made DVD+R copies of several VHS tapes
    using Hauppauge WinTV150 video capture card.
    WinTV produces an mpeg file. I then use
    ULEAD Movie Factory SE to write this mpeg onto
    the harddisk as DVD files. Then, I open these
    ( as though they were a DVD ) with DVDshrink
    and go through the usual process with DVDshrink
    to burn the DVD+R.

All goes well. I am able to play the resulting
    DVD+R using WinDVD as well as my tabletop DVD players.

The problem comes when I try to copy these DVD+R's
    to make additional copies. Either I get CRC errors
    or the resulting copy has all kinds of audio and
    video artifacts which render them useless.

At this point ( having ruined several DVD+R's ), I
    am considering connecting my tabletop DVD player to
    my video capture card so I can make copies.

Any help or insight will be appreciated.

Ian

2. Marvo

Marvo Member

What media are you using? CRC errors can occur when using poor quality media. Also, how are you burning them and at what speed?

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Do you have a copy of dvdinfopro? (Check out the Software tab here if not. The free version is what I use.)

What I'd do is run a CRC check on your media for read errors with dvdinfopro. If you have read errors on the media, then you'll obviously have problems making copies from them.

Did you write the dvd directly to the media, or to the hard disk first? I [bold]always[/bold] do the latter. That way, if there are read errors that arise because of poor media, writing too fast, or whatever, I still have the VIDEO_TS file to write from again. In fact, for stuff I'd really hate to have to recreate again, I back up the VIDEO_TS file as data, initially to a RAID-5 hard drive array, and then to data dvd's when I want to move something off the RAID-5 drives. And I always do a CRC check with dvdinfopro of a freshly written dvd before assuming that I got a good burn.

If you didn't write your dvd files to the hard drive first, then it looks to me like you've either got to do what you are thinking about doing (capture them back off the dvd+r's) or recreate/reauthor the dvd's all over.

One last thought. I might try to "rip" the dvd+r's using dvd decrypter or dvd shrink, and just have them skip or ignore read errors. This would quickly copy the VIDEO_TS to the hard drive. If the result played okay, then you'd have a source from which to make your copies. I imagine this is going to depend on how severe the errors are.

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I agree. It's not your video software, but your discs. Your DVD burner can't read certain sectors when it's trying to copy. Usually, your burner will just keep spinning the disc when it hits the troubled spots. Your standalone DVD player will just skip over small bits of bad data, but DVD burners try to read every single 0 and 1.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Just like marvo and bazilla stated,poor media or too fast burn speed on that original backup is the likely culprit.

My most important and favorite discs are backed up on high-quality verbatim mcc003 and mxl-rg02 discs. These discs burned and 4x will allow me to rerip them for another near perfect copy using nero express. The lower quality media can give you crc errors when you are trying to re-copy them.

Here is a free handy program that will give us the manufacturer code that you can download: http://afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvdidentifer.cfm

Tell us what that code is: example:manufacturer-mxlrg code-o2= mxlrg02.

How fast did you burn that original backup copy?

6. IanEmdee

IanEmdee Member

First....Thanks to Marvo, bazilla, and DogBomb for taking
    the trouble of responding.

I will have to check on the DVD brand. I know they
    were not generic. I believe they were 4X.
    What are the recommended DVD's to use?

I have not used DVDinfoPro. I will give it a try.
    However, the best idea may be to retain the VIDEO_TS
    folders produced by ULEAD MovieFactory so these can
    be used by DVDshrink should I need another copy.

This does present another problem: Typically, the
    VIDEO_TS folder ( produced by ULEAD MovieFactory ) is
    larger than 4.7gb. That's why I use DVDshrink to
    burn them to DVD. So, I guess I'll have to produce
    a second set of VIDEO_TS folders with DVDshrink on
    the harddisk. Then, I can burn these using either
    DVDshrink or Nero Ultra and back these up as data...
    ...or, I can invest in another back-up system such
    as tape.

I am puzzled by these problems with data integrity
    on burned DVD's. Although, I am fairly new to DVD
    burning, I've been burning CD's for years and never
    ran into any of these problems. Does anyone know
    why DVD's are less reliable?

Finally: I did try DVD Decrypter. In the case
    of the DVD with CRC errors, it was unable to read
    the entire disk. I must confess I am not yet fully
    familiar with all the settings for DVD Decrypter
    or DVDshrink. So, there may be a setup which would
    work.

Thanks,
    Ian

7. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

To ignore read errors in dvd decrypter, select:

Tools-->Settings-->File I/O

and you will see settings for how dvd decrypter handles read errors.

Like you, I'm both new to the dvd world, and am somewhat overwhelmed by the variety of media and the prevalence of problems writing to the media without error. And also like you, I have burned hundred's of cd's without every worrying once about read errors. That's not to say I've never created coasters. But if a cd write completes successfully, I never check it further or worry about read errors.

With dvd's, I'm getting to where I think I need to run a crc check on each one I create, which can double the time involved in creating dvd's. (A straight-forward rip and burn takes about 30 minutes. And then it takes dvdinfopro just about as long to check the dvd for errors.)

Maybe I'm getting anal about this. I was blissfully ignorant of the varieties a vagaries of dvd media, happily backing up dvd's to some Memorex DVD+R's. The few I bothered to check for crc read errors were mostly flawless. Moreover, though labeled 4X, these were in fact 8X, and happily burned at the faster speed.

But then I found out that one of my dvd players (a brand new Toshiba) just doesn't seem to like DVD+R's. So I browsed the DVD-media forum here trying to get some informed opinions about what brand of DVD-R to try out next. I settled on trying some Maxell DVD-R's, manufacturer code RITEK G04, which by most (but not necessarily all) accounts ought to be decent media.

The first three burns all have crc read errors. Not enough to cause serious playback problems, but still enough to be annoying. But they do play in my Toshiba, so I guess that's something.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey ian, when it comes to dvd burning,files are files whether you are taking mpeg,avi,xvid or any other files and converting them to an Iso so they can be place on a dvd. I don't do any of those conversions but have settled many issues for other member who do this process.
    Windvd is an awesome player.
    You are suppose to be able to view those backup discs on your pc player using the drive that burned it.

Since i am no expert at transfering the many different file formats to iso,it sounds like you are set up ok since your pc plays that backup.Ulead is highly recommended as well as dvd santa for transferring files to dvd format.

Dvd burning is a whole new era, the programs need every 1 and 0 of data to complete the process.It isn't like cd burning where any cd you slap in will burn and at 40x.

Dvd burning is more complex,larger files,more data,compressed data,and encryption removal.The poor quality media will screw you every chance it gets. Whether it is just backing up a data disc or a movie. The problems are really magnefied on the stand alones that play those backup discs. I rarely watch my backups on my pc, I prefer my stand alone players in living room and bedroom.This is where most people play them right?

And those problems really magnefy when you try to make another copy of that backup when that original disc was on poor,crappy, or burned too fast disc.

Why dvd's are less reliable? Each brand of dvd media has many different manufacturers for each brand name.This is very hard to pick out.Take the verbatim + dvd media,they use mccoo2,mc003,ricohjpn, and reports of cmagnetics as their manufactures.The mcoo3 is far superior compared to the cmags,the mcoo2 and ricohjpn are pretty close to the same quality level to each other but still less than mccoo3's.C-mags are junk.

I refer many people to maxell,their 4 different manufacturers are fair to high quality. I have run into ricohjpn01,mxlrg02,mxlrg03,ritekgo4, and reports of tygo1's occasionally. Most members will take any of these many manufacturers,especially the ty's. I haven't heard of any crappy manufacturers making their media.

Those links and programs that we listed will help you identify those discs. Media is the #1 issue when it comes to dvd burning.

9. restart

restart Member

see-"Possible way to retrieve info from coaster dvd without a backup" on the forum - try it. One other member had tried it with good success without losing data.