1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hp 200e dvd burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sneaktip, Oct 1, 2002.

1. sneaktip

sneaktip Guest

being the niave consumer that i am i purchased a hp 200e dvd burner. i found out do to cp restrictions that i cant burn my dvd's at home and make a back-up copy by simply using the record now software included. Is there away around this? I also purchased audio transfer software to convert vhs to dvd's. product has not arrived yet. Will i run into a problem converting my vhs tapes to dvd's. I heard of something called macrovision. will this be a limiting factor?

2. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Yeah, can someone help?? I have the same burner in my HP, and on box says it won't copy copyrighted commercial dvds. I tried to use the Illegal nav, directions in the help forum and changed the title to start right at the movie but IFO edit still says illegal nav and refuses to play the movie. The only reason I bought the damn computer was to make backups!!

3. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

You need to follow Derrows guide for illegal nav split to dvd-9. You need to change the titleset menu to start with the first chapter. I haven't figured out how to get it to start with the menu. That so far has bypassed the 'can't copy commercial dvds' with the hp writer.
    http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow/

4. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

I have the HP200. I had to buy Record Now Max. It about the same as Nero and Prassi. When I burn a ripped dvd file, I open up Record Now Max, then click file, click new job. The next you click 'data disk'. Everything is pretty much set. All you have to do then is add your file - VIDEO_TS and have a DVD+R or DVD+RW in the drive and click record.

5. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Elayne, thanks I"m going to try inna few. I used Vob6.5 to burn my files, but they won't play in anything pc/standalone. I can't read anything on the disc but when u clik on properties it does show its full. It took about 10secs for it to burn, I thought that was strange b/c the only movie I did successfully took awhile(20mins). I was using the Hp dvd+R disk that came with the computer. You don't have to format the discs or anything b4 start? (I feel dumb asking that)

6. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

No, you don't have to format. On some of the HP DVD+RW, they say they are full and need to be erased. I have been using Memorex+R and they have worked great. Now,remember, the Record Now that came with your computer will not burn these files. You need one of the others mentioned. On an average, it'll take about 20 minutes to burn. If you use ifoedit, check to see if your movie plays, it has to be named "VIDEO_TS", if it does, you can burn it. I really hope I helped you. So many great people at this site have helped me. Good Luck.

7. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

I've had some great help on here too, actually I'd probably have given up by now. I called HP support and they directed to a recordnows site where you could download an upgrade of recordnow that 'supposedley' will burn a copy. I have been successful at playing my VIDEO_TS file in ifo edit, just can't them to burn. Then again, I guess I need to pay for it and see if that works, since nothing like that is for free!

8. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Question?? Does your burner give you the illegal navigation error msg when you try to play in ifoedit?? I have a 200i, and it says it won't copy commercial copyrighted stuff on the cpu box.

I had to follow Derrows guide on the split illegal nav and adjust the title set. Only problem is I can't get the menu to play, it just sticks. It will only start the movie.

9. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Hi, I'm not sure I understand your question. When I'm finished with the VIDEO_TS file, I play it with ifoedit. It plays then I burn it. When it's done, I pop it into the dvd drive and Power DVD opens up and starts the movie.
    But back to your burner.I have everything HP. As I said, the program that comes with HP, the Record Now is basically for cds and certain types of movies files, not the one we are burning. That's probably way you are getting the error message. The downloads are worthless. You have to buy the Record Now Max, Nero or Prassi to burn these type of files. With the Record Now Max, I haven't had a problem. Remember the Max of Record Now. I can't help you with the split of dvds because I've been fighting that battle myself.

10. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

PS. At the site you have, mpucoder, towards the bottom of the page, it will tell you how to burn these files and what you need.

11. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Look at mpucoders instructions on dvd9 to split; or here in the
    message boards/dvd authoring and dvd bruning/splitting dvd 9 to dvd r's

'splitting dvd 9 to dvd r's?? 'Is the 3rd thread by mickyc the forum is closed with 127 hits. Check out msconga's technique. I've been successful in splitting with both of those guides, even editing the menu of the 2nd disc to start playing the movie(no menu). Just not being able to burn...(don't have the software) thought I could get over free.

12. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

That question, on the sticker on the cpu theres a star, and when you look on the side of the box with the cpu's specifications the star says 'does not permit copying of commercially available dvd movies or other copyrighted material.' I have the HP 772n, so I don't know if some new burner and they're trying to keep ppl from copying.
    When I do a str8 rip and play in IFO edit I get that error. If I follow mpcoders instructions on 'splitting with illegal nav' and change the title set to start the movie immediately it works. I'd like to have the menu, and the instructions are there, but my menu locks the movie, so I just start the movie and then Ifo plays it fine! I'm working on crouching tiger.

13. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

I just paid $24 for recordmax, now it won't recognize any blank media I put in. Keeps asking for a blank cd, I've tried a -r and +r keeps spitting them back out!!!

14. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Phil, I'm at a lost now. I have a hp540n which came with a cd burner. I purchased the dvd burner and installed it. You have to make sure that the DMA is working and that the DLA is not. When you have Record Now Max open, the cd burner drive will be hi-lighted in blue which is fine. When you open the file tab and click new and you click data file, the dvd burner should have an arrow by it, but not hi-lighted.You mention cd, well, you need a dvd disk. You got a deal at $24 for Record Now Max, I spent $59 for mine. Anyway, that all I can help you with. I am sorry I couldn't help more. Thank you for your info. I appreciate it.

15. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

PS: Don't worry about what the box says. They will tell you that instead of rip and burn dvd movies illegally. The box says that because the dvds are coded and once smartripper reads the files, it's really not a problem any longer. The copy right and everything is basically gone. The HP200 will only use +r and +rw dvds. Re-reading this thread, you said that you were trying to burn vob 6.5. That will not work. You have to have your movie in a VIDEO_TS file to burn. So, when you open up Record Now Max, and you have to add your file, that's the only file you need.

16. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Okay, I downloaded the firmware update for the 200i writers from HP's site. After I did that, Recordnow burned the Dvd w/o any problems. Now it won't play. I can play the movie in IFO edit when I open my E: drive and select the IFO file, thats it. It locks my standalone and my interwindvd on my pc won't even recognize. Bought it in today and it plays on a coworkers pc fine. I'm going to walk up to radio shack at lunch and see if it works in any of their standalones. Weird, hunh? The only movie so far I've been able to copy is a B rate kung fu movie that I did a str8 copy from using dvd decrypt. Major headache here! Oh, and LOR will at least play in my PC. It seems anything that I split won't play in my standalone.
    They had an upgrade special on their website for ppl who had the recordnow factory installed. I looked last nite and its $39 now.

17. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Yeah the DMA/DLA thing had me confused. Recordmax prompted me to use theirs when I installed it and I said ok. Can't rmbr which one it was. But everytime I cut the cpu on it asks me to switch it back to HPs default, but I just close the dialog.
    Max works fine after I downloaded the firmware from HPs site.

18. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Sometimes I am not sure that we are following each other. You are using file names that confuse me. I am going to go step by step in hopes we understand each other. I am not trying to a smartass or anything, so please don't take me wrong.
    1. Ripp
    2. Open file in Ifoedit
    3. Do what you are going to do and save to a
    VIDEO_TS folder
    4. Reopen Ifoedit and get your Ifo and click
    play dvd. It should start playing. If it
    does, close out.
    5. Open up Record Now Max,
    click new job - data disc
    add VIDEO_TS folder
    drop in a +r or +rw
    click burn
    In about 20 minutes you have a dvd
    Like I said, most dvd players will not recognize the +r and +rw discs, but that is all you can use with HP.
    I hope this helped.

19. Deerek

Deerek Member

I was about to buy this DVD burner this week to make backup copy's of all my dvd I see alot of people here have been having trouble doing this can anyone point me in the right direction on a good dvd burner to buy to backup all types of dvd that I have purchace from stores. ohh also a good one that ensure that it will play in my dvd player too... Thanks

20. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

No offense taken Elanye, question how did you bypass the illegal navigation error when you initially open IFOedit and played the movie? I got 'illegal navigation, unable to play dvd' and then IFO goes blank.
    I had to use the illegal navigation instructions to get mine to work in IFO but I can't use the menu's. I have to edit the file in order to get it to start playing at the beginning of the movie. So I have no menu.

I ripped my files with decrypt. Went into IFO edit and made sure everything played. Then went to Max and added the video_ts folder..waited for it to ask for a disc.
    20mins later I had a burned dvd that wouldn't play n my PC but my co-workers, nor my standalone. I haven't gone to the store yet to see if it'll play in anything.
    I'm thinking about trying a +rw media.

But my hang-up is, why wouldn't the PC recognize something it just burned??? I had to go to the E: drive and open the file with IFOedit to actually get it to play.