1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP 200i Recorder and DVD+R

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by djbart26, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

The only thing your HP100 will burn is +rw! Don't waste a +r dvd trying to burn on it. HP came up with the 200 that will burn +r and +rw.
    The difference is something in the way the dvds are made.

2. turkf26

turkf26 Guest

so in other words, im stuck with buying expensive +rw's and thats it. do all games, dvd's, ps2 back ups work all right on the +rw's.

3. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

I'm afraid so. This is no help to you now, I don't know when you purchased your burner, but back in the spring, HP had a trade-in from the 100 to upgrade to 200 for $100. Try contacting
    HP and see what they might do. It won't hurt to try. Good Luck.

4. KneeHL

KneeHL Member

Elayne help me Please!
    I have a hp dvd200i and have looked everywhere trying to find a way to make a back up of my dvd movies. I tried the Record Now Max program I downloaded from download.com (30 day-trial version) it gives me an error when I try to make a copy: " Not all discs can be copied. For example, some DVDs and music CDs are created with a copy-protection feature. Discs created with packet-writing software such as DLA (Drive Letter Access) also cannot be copied." just like the version that came with the burner. How do I get around this? Also, you mentioned upgrading the firmware to 127. I looked on HP's site to do that and could not find it (I'm not even sure what firmware is). Please help me if you can. Thank you

5. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

You haven't looked everywhere, because it's all here on this site. It took me awhile, but once I got going, its' easy. Once you have ripped them and used ifoedit,you should have a burnable copy of the movie. You just can't copy it, they are all copy-right protected. Save your ripped copy to a folder, then use ifoedit and save that info to a VIDEO_TS folder. Open Record Now and choose the VIDEO_TS file and burn. The firmware is there if you do a search on upgrades and drivers.

6. astuder

astuder Member

7. crotzari

crotzari Member

Hi again folks!

I have finally found a suite of programs that works for me.
    To backup a movie (So I don't have to worry about my four year old daughter) I use:
    1. DVDdecrypter - rip the film from DVD to a directory on my computer.
    2. DVD2ONE - To select the moviefile, language and/or subtext and create burnable files. This program takes away all the stuff one don´t need, like menus and such. It also automatically shrink the film just so it will fit one DVD. Brilliant I tell you.
    3. Nero and / or RecordNow MAX to burn the movie.

DVDXCOPY works but often split movies on two DVDs and can only be recommended if you must have all menus and extra materials.

On a sidenote I must say I´m thinking of bying ULEAD DVD Moviefactory2 after downloading the demo. If you have homemade videos, divxfilms, svcds or just pictures, it's a brilliant program to make DVDS(or VCD/SVCDs) with.
    You don't edit your films (DV for example) in it but rather take your finished short films and put them on a DVD, adding menus vith background music/pictures/chapters and so on.
    It is just so simple. Got to look at it.
    Have you got a Divx-movie that you would like to wath on the telly? No problemo - just make a DVD and go...

8. crotzari

crotzari Member

HM!
    That really some lousy spelling!
    Sorry ladies and gentlemen...

9. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Hi, So you are saying that 'dvd2one' shrinks the movie like rempeg? That everything is in syn.

10. astuder

astuder Member

Lucky you. My 200i drive (box) is actually a 200j (bios). It was at v1.06 so I flashed it with the 1.51 bios anyway. It still registers as a 200j with the 1.51 bios but it doesn't make DVD's still. I was able to make a VCD with the Sonic MyDVD software though. I will try the tools you recommended next and see what happens.

11. crotzari

crotzari Member

Hi!

Yes. According to the .txt-file it shrinks the movie so it fits on one DVD. The thing is, you can not use it to shrink an entire DVD with menus and different language-files etc. You only get the film and the chosen language and/or subtitle. I have a P4 2,53 GHz machine with 512 MB ram and for me the entire process takes well below 10 minutes. This is due to the fact that the program is written in pure assembler.
    I have burned a film created like this with Nero 5.10 and it works with all my friends DVD-players. They have Pioneer and Philips standalone players under their tv-sets.
    Unfortunately I have a rather cheap Samsung 611 in my livingroom and the DVD does not work there. (AAARG!)

I bought Nero and have been very satisfied with it so far but when visiting DVD2ONEs homepage I read that they DO NOT RECOMMEND NERO. Supposedly Nero does not create DVDs to the standard most players follow.

Does anyone out there know of another burningprogram that creates VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders that you can drop your .vob-files into and burn?

(I actually got suspcious when I burned my movie as Nero refused to let me put one of the index-files created by DVD2ONE in the VIDEO_TS folder...)

12. jafloresl

jafloresl Guest

Whats the difference of HP DVD Writer 200i and the 200j, something like the bios as Astuder Said?, because i dont have problems with my DVD Writer, but in my system apears as 200j and in other things as 200i.
    Regards.

13. obiandy

obiandy Member

HI Elayne i recently recorded a film which was on a dvd-r disc onto a blank dvd-r disc.It worked fine. This was done on a HP200i recorder. How is this possible if it says on the website/forums that it is only a DVD+R media recorder.

14. totonho03

totonho03 Guest

Hello:

I have an HP 200e unit, and while I can back up dvds on both +R and +RW, one of my players, that should read the +RW discs provided that you change the bitsetting to DVD-ROM, does not recognize the discs. My question is, which is the setting for DVD-ROM, mode 1 or mode 2.? And if I would like to use a different bitsetting program, how do I delete HP's bit setting software?

Thanks for your help.

By, the way, I use Fujifilm, HP and Memorex discs, and have but a couple of coasters with Memorex units, however, this may be due to my inexperience in using the 200e.

15. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Sorry, I can't help you there. I would change any settings to please your player. If you do, it may not recognize the other discs. Contact the maker of your player and hp about the burner. Sorry, Good Luck. Also, if you get a chance, check out dvd2one. It's great. I burned a couple of dvds that ended up with no sound, but got it with dvd2one.

16. totonho03

totonho03 Guest

Elayne:
    Thank you for your response. Before trying dvd20ne, I need to purchase an external hard drive- do not have enough space to back up my dvds-. I am looking to purchase the Western Digital, 7200 rpm, firewire external drive. Will more than likely do that tomorrow, and then I will try dvd2one. I will also try DVD shrink 1.03. Have you used it?

Thanks again

Totonho03

17. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Hi, No, I have tried dvd shrink. But, I am totally happy with dvd2one. I hope that everything works out for you.